Solving Current in RL Circuit: Find i(t=6s)

In summary, the current in the circuit can be found using equation {1}, but the equivalent resistance cannot be ignored when calculating the time constant \tau. The equivalent resistance can be found by combining the resistors in the circuit, and then used in equation {2} to find the time constant. Finally, equation {1} can be used to calculate the current at t=6s.
pillanoid

Homework Statement

The voltage v(t) shown in the circuit attached ("Circuit 8.3") is 10 V for the time 0<t<2 (s), -10 V for the time 2<t<5 (s), and 0 all other times. If iL(0) = 0, what is i(t=6s)?

Homework Equations

i(t) = i(t=infinity) + (i(to)-i(t=infinity))*exp(-(t-to)/[tex]\tau[/tex]) {1}
[tex]\tau[/tex] = L/Requivalent {2}

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding is that the current is found using {1}. However, after the voltage source is turned off, it becomes a short circuit, meaning that all of the current goes through the left side of the circuit, and that the inductor does not see any equivalent resistance. This would mean that the time constant [tex]\tau[/tex] is infinity.

I don't think that this makes sense, and if it does, I don't know what it means with respect to the problem. Am I approaching the problem correctly, or is there some other equivalent resistance in the circuit that I am not considering here?

Attachments

• Circuit 8.3.jpg
    Circuit 8.3.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org

You are correct in your understanding that the current can be found using equation {1}. However, in this case, the equivalent resistance cannot be ignored as it is a crucial component in calculating the time constant \tau. The equivalent resistance can be found by combining the resistors in the circuit using series and parallel combination rules. Once the equivalent resistance is determined, it can be used in equation {2} to calculate the time constant. From there, you can use equation {1} to find the current at t=6s.

I hope this helps clarify the approach to the problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your calculations!

1. How do you calculate the current in an RL circuit at a specific time (t=6s)?

The current in an RL circuit at a specific time can be calculated using the formula i(t) = i0 * e^(-t/tau), where i0 is the initial current and tau (τ) is the time constant of the circuit. At t=6s, simply plug in 6 for t in the formula to find the current at that time.

2. What is the time constant of an RL circuit and how does it affect the current?

The time constant (τ) of an RL circuit is the amount of time it takes for the current to reach approximately 63% of its maximum value. It is calculated by dividing the inductance (L) by the resistance (R) of the circuit, τ = L/R. A lower time constant means the current will reach its maximum value faster, while a higher time constant means it will take longer.

3. Can the current in an RL circuit ever reach zero?

Yes, the current in an RL circuit will eventually reach zero after a very long time. This is because the inductor in the circuit stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, and over time, this energy will dissipate and the current will decrease to zero.

4. How does the initial current affect the current in an RL circuit at a specific time?

The initial current (i0) in an RL circuit will affect the current at a specific time by determining the starting point for the decay of the current. A higher initial current will result in a larger current at a specific time, while a lower initial current will result in a smaller current at that time.

5. What happens to the current in an RL circuit if the resistance is increased?

If the resistance (R) in an RL circuit is increased, the time constant (τ) of the circuit will also increase. This means it will take longer for the current to reach its maximum value and it will decrease more slowly. Additionally, the overall magnitude of the current will decrease due to the increased resistance.