How Does Wavelength Modulation Increase Bandwidth in Link Aggregation?

• Thread starter bluebird1984
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the conversation discusses a paper on link aggregation in computer networks and the inclusion of Wavelength modulation to increase bandwidth between two switches. The process involves directing light through prisms and back through fiber optic interfaces. The person is having trouble finding information on the topic and asks for help. They also mention that Wavelength modulation is also known as WDM and provide a link for more information. The conversation ends with the person stating they have completed their paper and thanking for the reply.
bluebird1984
hi

I'm writting a paper on link aggregation (computer networks) and I've decided to write a little bit on Wavelength modulation, which is the process of directing the light from a fibre optic connection through a prism , down the cable, and then back again through another prism to increase the bandwidth between 2 switches. (sorry if you already know and I'm describing it all wrong!)

Switch 1--fibre optic interface--prism--cable--prism--fibre optic interface--switch 2

I'm having trouble finding any information on this topic, such as by how much the bandwidth can increase if this was introduced on a 1GB/s connection.

can anyone help me with this matter please?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry I just joined quickly and posted, i think this might need to be moved to the Homework Help Forum. :S

Can you post a link to some basic info about this technique? I'm not familiar with it...

What is wavelength modulation?

Wavelength modulation is a technique used in spectroscopy, which involves changing the wavelength of a light source and measuring the resulting changes in the intensity of the light. This allows for the identification and analysis of different substances based on their unique absorption and emission spectra.

How does wavelength modulation work?

Wavelength modulation works by rapidly varying the wavelength of a light source in a specific pattern, while simultaneously measuring the intensity of the light that is transmitted or reflected by a sample. The resulting signal is then analyzed to determine the molecular composition of the sample.

What is a prism and how is it used in wavelength modulation?

A prism is a transparent optical element with flat, polished surfaces that can refract, or bend, light. In wavelength modulation, a prism is used to disperse white light into its component colors, allowing for the selection of a specific wavelength to be used for spectroscopy.

What are the advantages of using wavelength modulation?

Wavelength modulation has several advantages compared to other spectroscopic techniques. It allows for the detection and analysis of very small concentrations of substances, is highly sensitive and precise, and can be used in a variety of environments and sample types.

What are some applications of wavelength modulation?

Wavelength modulation has numerous applications in fields such as chemistry, biology, medicine, and environmental science. It is commonly used for the analysis of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as for the detection of pollutants, toxins, and biomarkers in various samples.