Export or Plagiarism? Shocked or Amused?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary: would violating someone's rights even be possible?I don't know. Deleting my posts before tomorrow would be the simplest solution.I don't know. Deleting my posts before tomorrow would be the simplest solution.
Physics news on Phys.org
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." You might want to keep your eye open for any effort to use your material for "advantage" --- grant applications, op-eds, the like.

Might as well add, "Plagiarism is the 'sincerest' form of imitation."

Last edited:
Well apparently Mike was playing an amusing game. He copied Fred Mooltens posts in myspace to here as "Solin4" and copied my replies back, actually elimating himself as player and making me discuss with Fred.

I have decided to be amused.

Obviously this is not allowed. The thread in question will be deleted until we can get to the bottom of this.

Well that would be dissapointing. It is still fully active without further plagiarism

If I delete Solin4's plagiarized posts, I would also have to remove quotes of his posts. That would leave a rather confusing thread.

Fred Moolton claims these are his posts and were not authorized to be copied.

I can perform surgery and extract your posts and those of other's, if you wish, and create a new thread, but it'll take a bit of time.

Whatever is feasible. Deleting the solin3/fred - andre/mike discussion would be fine. I think there is plenty left.

Frankenstein's monster meets "Nip-Tuck."

Done, please let me know if I have missed anything.

That website is copyright protected. If Andre's original posts are deleted from PF, but not from that site as well, then he could wind-up being accused of plagiarism himself if he ever wanted to post the same thing again.

Aether said:
That website is copyright protected. If Andre's original posts are deleted from PF, but not from that site as well, then he could wind-up being accused of plagiarism himself if he ever wanted to post the same thing again.
What website? Not MySpace. I think you jumped to the wrong section.

http://www.myspace.com/Modules/Common/Pages/TermsConditions.aspx

"Proprietary Rights in Content on MySpace.com.
6. MySpace.com does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post to the MySpace Services. After posting your Content to the MySpace Services, you continue to retain all ownership rights in such Content, and you continue to have the right to use your Content in any way you choose."

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
What website? Not MySpace. I think you jumped to the wrong section.

http://www.myspace.com/Modules/Common/Pages/TermsConditions.aspx

"Proprietary Rights in Content on MySpace.com.
6. MySpace.com does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post to the MySpace Services. After posting your Content to the MySpace Services, you continue to retain all ownership rights in such Content, and you continue to have the right to use your Content in any way you choose."
Andre said:
http://tinyurl.com/oylsd (Mike's posts as of 2/3 down the page)
This website forwards to a forum.myspace.com page where this copyright notice appears: "©2003-2006 MySpace.com. All Rights Reserved." As a result, the "you" referred to in the paragraph that you quoted from their "Proprietary Rights in Content..." policy could wind-up protecting "Mike's" interests over Andre's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aether said:
This website forwards to a forum.myspace.com page where this copyright notice appears: "©2003-2006 MySpace.com. All Rights Reserved." As a result, the "you" referred to in the paragraph that you quoted from their "Proprietary Rights in Content..." policy could wind-up protecting "Mike's" interests over Andre's.

NOTE: I am going to delete my posts here by this time tomorrow just so that "Mike" doesn't get any ideas. Please feel free to delete them before that.
No, "Mike" has clearly violated MySpace's "Terms and Conditions" and if anyone reports him, the least that will happen is that "Mike" would be banned from MySpace.

Section 2 of MySpace Terms -

2. You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the Content posted by you on or through the MySpace Services or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth in this section, and (ii) the posting of your Content on or through the MySpace Services does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights or any other rights of any person."

Evo said:
No, "Mike" has clearly violated MySpace's "Terms and Conditions" and if anyone reports him, the least that will happen is that "Mike" would be banned from MySpace.

Section 2 of MySpace Terms -

2. You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the Content posted by you on or through the MySpace Services or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth in this section, and (ii) the posting of your Content on or through the MySpace Services does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights or any other rights of any person."
How important is ownership of this content to you Andre? Do you care if "Mike" pops up later and claims that you stole this from him? How will you prove that you didn't? If it is not important to you at all, then fine. However, if it is important to you, then you need to do something about it while keeping in mind that your original posts are no longer here at PF for you to point to as evidence that you wrote those words.

Aether said:
How important is ownership of this content to you Andre? Do you care if "Mike" pops up later and claims that you stole this from him? How will you prove that you didn't? If it is not important to you at all, then fine. However, if it is important to you, then you need to do something about it while keeping in mind that your original posts are no longer here at PF for you to point to as evidence that you wrote those words.
Andre's posts are here, the thread is open. I believe the other guy already reported the plagiarizer to MySpace.

Evo said:
Andre's posts are here, the thread is open. I believe the other guy already reported the plagiarizer to MySpace.
Ok, thank-you.

Aether said:

Since Evo was kind enough to resolve the problem, it seems irrelevant now. But nevertheless. I remember a thread here about the objective of the copyright policy of PF, to protect it's members, without the objective to prevent the original authors to use it elsewhere. So this gets rather important if somebody is going to notice that the same material is popping up in an article that we're (unofficially) invited (!) :smile: to write for Quartenary Science Review.

Last edited:
Aether said:
...keeping in mind that your original posts are no longer here at PF for you to point to as evidence that you wrote those words.
FYI, generally when we delete posts, we "soft-delete" them so that they are available to us for our reference. With the exception of the first post that was edited, all of solin3's posts still exist.

1. What is the difference between export and plagiarism?

Export refers to the act of sending goods or services to another country for the purpose of trade. Plagiarism, on the other hand, is the act of using someone else's ideas or work without giving proper credit or permission.

2. How can I avoid unintentional plagiarism when exporting my work?

To avoid unintentional plagiarism, it is important to properly cite and reference any sources used in your work. This includes both direct quotes and paraphrased information. Additionally, it is important to thoroughly check your work for any similarities to existing work and make necessary revisions.

3. Is exporting someone else's work considered plagiarism?

Exporting someone else's work without their permission or proper attribution is considered plagiarism. It is important to obtain permission and give proper credit when using someone else's work in your own.

4. Can I export my own work without it being considered plagiarism?

Exporting your own work is not considered plagiarism as long as you are the original creator and have not previously given permission for someone else to use your work. However, it is still important to properly cite and reference any sources used in your work.

5. How serious is the punishment for plagiarism?

The punishment for plagiarism can vary depending on the severity and context of the situation. In academic settings, it can result in failing grades or expulsion from a program. In professional or legal settings, it can result in lawsuits and damage to one's reputation. It is important to always give proper credit and avoid plagiarism to avoid these consequences.