Injecting an unflated balloon with vacuum

In summary: Assuming the balloon is flat and empty and in the bell jar with a nominal vacuum applied within the jar, the balloon will inflate. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of injecting a balloon with vacuum and whether it would inflate, deflate, or do nothing. The consensus is that "injecting vacuum" is not a valid term and the proper term would be "sucking air out." However, it is possible to create a vacuum environment inside a balloon by using a rigid container. In theory, a vacuum-filled balloon could be light enough to float, but the design and strength of the envelope material would be a major consideration. Overall, the idea of a vacuum-filled
pentazoid
Would the balloon inflate , deflate or do nothing if I injected the balloon with nothing but vacuum? Is it even possible to inject vacuum into an unflated balloon?

Physics news on Phys.org
inject vacuum = suck air out.
If it is un-inflated it would do nothing (assuming it is totally un-inflated = flat)

To me, "inject with a vacuum" is just a meaningless self-contradiction. Can you describe exactly how you would do that?

russ_watters said:
To me, "inject with a vacuum" is just a meaningless self-contradiction. Can you describe exactly how you would do that?

But don't you have to create a vacuum environment in a proton accelerator in order to create conditions where there is no material except protons and only protons smashing into each other? Why could you not inject vacuum into the inside of a balloon?

A vacuum environment (like space) isn't filled with vacuum - it's just empty of air.
injecting with vacuum is meaningless - except as a humorous way of saying 'suck air out'.

If you had a full balloon and connected it to a vacuum the air would be sucked out - actually vacuum doesn't suck as such. The air pressing on the outside of the balloon pushes the air and there is no air on the vacuum side pushing back, so the air moves toward the vacuum.

pentazoid said:
But don't you have to create a vacuum environment in a proton accelerator in order to create conditions where there is no material except protons and only protons smashing into each other? Why could you not inject vacuum into the inside of a balloon?
As simply as I can put it: you're misusing the word "inject". Vacuums are created (usually) with a vacuum pump. The word "inejct" does not apply.

You could inject vacuum, so long as that vacuum is encased in something. A small rigid capsule with vacuum inside could be "injected" into the balloon. This would have the effect of occupying space, displacing the air that is in the balloon, and making it expand.

LURCH said:
and making it expand.
contract?

A process like suction relies on a relative vacuum, i. e., where one volume has less air pressure compared to another. So if I try to suck all of the air from the balloon, I am actually allowing atmospheric air pressure to squeeze whatever balloon air there is into the partial vacuum of my mouth and lungs, which perform work against the atmosphere.

mgb_phys said:
contract?

No; I'm saying that, if you put an evacuated container inside a balloon, the container will occupy space, displacing air and causing the balloon to expand.

A balloon that is initially deflated but still open to atmospheric, still contains air inside its cavity. Sucking that remaining air out would make the deflated balloon further collapse to a certain degree, but because the material of the balloon is not hermetic and is permeable, if you keep running the vacuum pump then the air from the atmosphere on the outside of the balloon will be sucked through the balloon material into the pump so it's as if the balloon is no longer there and you are just running a vacuum pump that is open to atmosphere.

pentazoid said:
But don't you have to create a vacuum environment in a proton accelerator?
Experiemental vacuums are created in rigid chambers that compress very little in response to pressure differential inside and outside. The balloon is very flexible and there is only a tiny difference between inside and outside pressure, when the baloon is expanded. You'd need a rigid balloon in order to have the pressure inside less than the pressure outside.

So if we inject the (tied) uninflated balloon with a wireframe, it will inflate with a vacuum? :smile:

And could we make a vacuum filled balloon light enough so that it floated?

LURCH said:
No; I'm saying that, if you put an evacuated container inside a balloon, the container will occupy space, displacing air and causing the balloon to expand.
Sorry I thought you meant - and then open the container.
(And then made one of those embarrassing typos I generally manage)

Dadface said:
And could we make a vacuum filled balloon light enough so that it floated?

In theory, however the material for the envelope would be tricky.
It's an interesting exercise - as you make the balloon larger the lifting capacity (and so the mass of material you can use) goes up as size3 while the area (and so the mass) of the envelope only goes as2. The width that the envelope has to span (and so the mass of any internal webbing) only goes as size1

A quick calculation shows that for a spherical balloon the radius would need to be bigger than about 3 times envelope thickness times envelope density.A major design consideration is that the envelope material and structure must be strong enough to withstand atmospheric pressure and this will make any balloon very big (In principle it would be possible to make a vacuum filled balloon that carried passengers.If anyone builds one please do not invite me for a test flight)

pentazoid said:
Would the balloon inflate , deflate or do nothing if I injected the balloon with nothing but vacuum? Is it even possible to inject vacuum into an unflated balloon?

I think it also depends on the type of vacuum. For example, you could probably inject a Dustbuster into and unflated balloon, due to its small size and relatively smooth surface.
But a full-sized Dyson with attachments, or a tank-style shop vac would be very difficult to inject.
:tongue2:

the balloon in vacuum is actually a very old classroom demo to show the power of vacuum. assuming the balloon is flat and empty and in the belljar witha nominal vacuum applied within the jar the balloon will inflate.

Last edited by a moderator:
andy taylor said:
the balloon in vacuum is actually a very old classroom demo to show the power of vacuum. assuming the balloon is flat and empty and in the belljar witha nominal vacuum applied within the jar the balloon will inflate.

A similar demo using balloons is used to demonstrate the action of the lungs and how they inflate and deflate.

1. How does injecting an unflated balloon with vacuum work?

Injecting an unflated balloon with vacuum involves removing the air inside the balloon using a vacuum pump. This creates a low pressure environment inside the balloon, causing it to expand and inflate.

2. What materials are needed for injecting an unflated balloon with vacuum?

The materials needed for injecting an unflated balloon with vacuum include a balloon, a vacuum pump, and a rubber stopper or cork to seal the balloon's opening.

3. What is the purpose of injecting an unflated balloon with vacuum?

Injecting an unflated balloon with vacuum can be used for various purposes such as demonstrating the properties of air pressure, creating a vacuum-sealed container, or simply as a science experiment.

4. Can any balloon be used for injecting with vacuum?

Most balloons can be used for injecting with vacuum, but it is important to choose a balloon that is made of a strong and flexible material to withstand the pressure difference. Latex and rubber balloons are commonly used for this purpose.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when injecting an unflated balloon with vacuum?

Yes, it is important to use caution when handling the vacuum pump and to avoid over-inflating the balloon. It is also recommended to wear safety goggles and gloves to protect against any potential bursting of the balloon. Additionally, children should be supervised by an adult when conducting this experiment.