Where the extra energy comes from?

habiler
Let's say you've created a very large balloon that doesn't explode in a vacuum and filled it with a gas lighter than air. Next, attach the balloon to a basic electric generator with a very light rope and place the balloon in a vacuum tube. Due to the balloon's weight, it will descend in the tube, generating some electricity. After that, remove the balloon from the tube and allow it to rise in the atmosphere to the upper end of the tube. Now, the balloon is back at the starting position with the same potential energy, and you have generated some electricity. Where does the electricity come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

How do you get the balloon in and out of the vacuum?

PeroK said:
:welcome:

How are you getting the balloon in and out of the vacuum?
I hadn't considered that part; perhaps there could be two airtight compartments at each end of the tube. Place the balloon in the tube and then seal it shut.

habiler said:
I hadn't considered that part; perhaps there could be two airtight compartments at each end of the tube. Place the balloon in the tube and then seal it shut.
Do you think that might take some energy?

PeroK said:
Do you think that might take some energy?
Why? If you make compartments just enough size to fit the baloon inside and tube will not get any air inside.

habiler said:
Why? If you make compartments just enough size to fit the baloon inside and tube will not get any air inside.
I don't see how you can get a balloon into a vacuum chamber without the air getting in. The balloon is, by your own design, lighter than air. I would say that the chamber would fill with air unless you forced the balloon in. I don't think you've thought this through!

Likes phinds, russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
PeroK said:
I don't see how you can get a balloon into a vacuum chamber without the air getting in. The balloon is, by your own design, lighter than air. I would say that the chamber would fill with air unless you forced the balloon in. I don't think you've thought this through!
Makes sense. So you're saying there is no way to put the baloon inside without air getting in and created electricity comes from using force to put the baloon in vacuum.

habiler said:
Makes sense. So you're saying there is no way to put the baloon inside without air getting in and created electricity comes from using force to put the baloon in vacuum.
That's one problem. Attaching the balloon to an external generator is another.

PeroK said:
That's one problem. Attaching the balloon to an external generator is another.
Ok i got it thanks for the help.

Likes PeroK
We don’t discuss perpetual motion machines here, so I have closed the thread.

habiler said:
So you're saying there is no way to put the baloon inside without air getting in
Even if you could form an airtight seal and never get any leaking, you still would not get free energy. To extract the balloon itself requires you to displace the air. Essentially you have to lift the atmosphere. This is more than the energy extracted on the way down. All buoyancy based perpetual motion machines that I have seen neglect that. They neglect the fact that at some point you have to lift or displace the external fluid.

Likes russ_watters, phinds, PeroK and 1 other person

1. What is the source of extra energy in the universe?

The extra energy in the universe primarily comes from nuclear processes occurring in stars, including our own Sun. Fusion, the process where hydrogen atoms combine to form helium, releases vast amounts of energy in the form of light and heat.

2. How do humans harness this extra energy from nature?

Humans harness energy from various natural sources. Solar panels capture sunlight, wind turbines use wind, hydroelectric power plants utilize flowing water, and nuclear reactors control nuclear fission to produce energy.

3. Can the extra energy in the universe ever be fully utilized or exhausted?

Theoretically, the energy in the universe is vast and not likely to be fully utilized or exhausted by human activity alone. However, accessible energy sources like fossil fuels are finite and can be depleted.

4. What role does dark energy play in the universe’s extra energy?

Dark energy is a mysterious form of energy that is believed to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe. It constitutes about 68% of the universe's total energy but remains poorly understood and is not harnessed for human use.

5. Are there new technologies on the horizon for capturing more of this extra energy efficiently?

Yes, ongoing research aims to develop more efficient renewable energy technologies, such as advanced solar panels, enhanced geothermal systems, and next-generation nuclear reactors. These technologies strive to capture and utilize energy more efficiently and sustainably.