What? Sudan becomes US ally in 'war on terror'

• News
  • Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses how Sudan's Islamist regime, once shunned by the United States, has now become an ally in the US's "war on terror". This shift in relationship has led to Sudan becoming a crucial intelligence asset for the CIA, with Sudanese agents providing information on terrorist networks in the Middle East and Africa. This cooperation has even extended to Sudan's involvement in detaining foreign militants on their way to Iraq. However, some still question the true intentions behind this newfound alliance and criticize the US for aligning with a country accused of committing genocide. In addition, the conversation also mentions how Sudan has a relatively small amount of oil compared to other countries, and a website that lists the countries the US has bombed in the past
fourier jr
Sudan becomes US ally in 'war on terror'

Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington
Saturday April 30, 2005

Guardian

Sudan's Islamist regime, once shunned by Washington for providing a haven for Osama bin Laden as well as for human rights abuses during decades of civil war, has become an ally in the Bush administration's "war on terror".
Only months after the US accused Khartoum of carrying out genocide in Darfur, Sudan has become a crucial intelligence asset to the CIA.

In the Middle East and Africa, Sudan's agents have penetrated networks that would not normally be accessible to America, one former US intelligence official told the Guardian. Some of that cooperation has spilled over into the war in Iraq: Sudan is credited with detaining foreign militants on their way to join anti-American fighters there.

Sudanese agents have also helped the CIA to monitor Islamist organisations in Somalia.

"The intelligence relationship is the strongest thread between Washington and Khartoum," the official said. "Khartoum is probably the only government in the Arab League that has contributed in a major way to the protection of US forces and citizens in Iraq."

etc etc

"...I quite understand that the war on terrorism means dealing with bad actors, but to fly in one of Sudan's chief committers of what Washington has formally described as genocide is deeply disturbing..."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,5183283-103681,00.html

out of curiosity I wonder how much oil sudan has?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The text of the article contradicts its own title: "Officially, Washington's position towards Sudan remains unchanged."

Such limited cooperation does not at all imply that they are an "ally", but rather that we're scaring them into cooperating with us. See: Libya and Syria. One thing terrorists, of course, understand is terror. Don't underestimate how cooperative a terrified terrorist can be.

fourier jr said:
out of curiosity I wonder how much oil sudan has?

Sudan: 563 million barrels

For comparison:

#1 Saudi Arabia: 261.7 billion
#10 China : 23.7 billion
#31 Sudan: 563 million

lol while looken for htis info, i found a hilarious website saying how evil the US is and it lists "All the countries the US has bombed" and man, you got to have lived in a cave to believe this crap. The first one it chose was China: 1945-1946 (yes i know that TECHNICALLY we did bomb china but come on). And then it tells about the "reckless military actions" of the US and ahaha, their first example is "Chinese military pilot killed by spy plane collision". Remember that spy plane that the chinese aircraft crashed into because they were screwing around a few years ago? yah, well, i guess that's "US military recklesness" that caused that instead of a highly menuverable aircraft only a few meters off the US aircrafts wings (as seen on video).

Pengwuino said:
Sudan: 563 million barrels

For comparison:

#1 Saudi Arabia: 261.7 billion
#10 China : 23.7 billion
#31 Sudan: 563 million

lol while looken for htis info, i found a hilarious website saying how evil the US is and it lists "All the countries the US has bombed" and man, you got to have lived in a cave to believe this crap. The first one it chose was China: 1945-1946 (yes i know that TECHNICALLY we did bomb china but come on). And then it tells about the "reckless military actions" of the US and ahaha, their first example is "Chinese military pilot killed by spy plane collision". Remember that spy plane that the chinese aircraft crashed into because they were screwing around a few years ago? yah, well, i guess that's "US military recklesness" that caused that instead of a highly menuverable aircraft only a few meters off the US aircrafts wings (as seen on video).

really i didn't know, & i suspect that site is bill blum's www.killinghope.org. he's got lots of good info since he pretty much lives in the national archives & library of congress.

Naa, the sites davidbeaumont.btinternet.co.uk so i guess the guys name is david beaumont but haha i mean come on, whos suppose to swallow this bull? I mean as long as your beyond 5th grade history, your too educated to believe his crap.

1. What led to Sudan becoming a US ally in the 'war on terror'?

In October 2020, the United States officially removed Sudan from its state sponsors of terrorism list after the country agreed to pay $335 million in compensation to victims of the 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. This move paved the way for Sudan to establish diplomatic relations with the US and become an ally in the 'war on terror'.

2. How does Sudan's alliance with the US impact the 'war on terror'?

Sudan's alliance with the US is seen as a significant step in the fight against terrorism, as it allows for increased cooperation and intelligence sharing between the two countries. This can help to disrupt and dismantle terrorist networks operating in Sudan and the surrounding region.

3. What are the potential benefits for Sudan in becoming a US ally in the 'war on terror'?

By becoming a US ally in the 'war on terror', Sudan can potentially gain access to economic and military aid from the US. This can help to boost the country's economy and improve its ability to combat terrorism within its borders.

4. Are there any concerns or criticisms surrounding Sudan's alliance with the US in the 'war on terror'?

Some critics have raised concerns about the US's history of supporting authoritarian regimes in the name of the 'war on terror', and fear that this alliance with Sudan could lead to human rights abuses and suppression of dissent within the country. Additionally, there are concerns about the impact of US intervention on the stability of the region.

5. What other countries are currently considered US allies in the 'war on terror'?

Some of the other countries that are considered US allies in the 'war on terror' include Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia. However, the definition of an ally in this context can be fluid and subject to change depending on the political climate and relationships between countries.