Lubos Motl Christmas Songs

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Christmas
In summary, the conversation on Lubos' blog is about two Christmas songs he wrote, one mocking the Anthropic principle and the other expressing hope for a better theory that would collapse the Landscape into a single set of vacuum expectation values (VEVs). The first song, to the tune of "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," pokes fun at the idea of a vast number of inhospitable universes in the Landscape and encourages those who believe in it to feel sorry for the failed lifeforms in those universes. The second song, to the tune of "Jingle Bells," expresses a wish for a theory that would determine a single set of VEVs, making the Landscape obsolete. It also mentions the need to get
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
on his blog, he has put these songs to the tune of We Wish You a Merry Christmas-----and also Jingle Bells.
http://motls.blogspot.com/2005/12/merry-christmas.html
I have made small emendations, to get the songs so I can imagine singing them.
To see the originals go to Lubos website, where you can also HEAR him singing them in his beautiful voice.

the first one mocks the Anthropic way of distinguishing our vacuum (with its correct VEVs, vacuum expectation values) from among the alleged "Landscape" or "Discretuum" of some 10500 inhospitable string theory vacua.
it is advised that the song be sung by people who take the Landscape seriously and so are feeling sorry for the failed lifeforms in the jillions of other miserable depressing or outright sterile universes.

One trouble with the jilliions of bad universes is that their Cosmol. Constants CC are TOO BIG so that they expand too fast----they don't allow galaxies to form, or much in the way of stars to condense. This is just one problem, lots of other things can go wrong in these bad universes.

Here is how Lubos introduces it:
---quote---
Merry Christmas! This special season is also a great opportunity for Matias Zaldarriaga and Nima Arkani-Hamed to sing for all the victims of the anthropic principle who try to live in the bad universes

WE WISH YOU A TINY CC
WE WISH YOU A TINY CC
WE WISH YOU A TINY CC
SO YOU GET GALAXIES!

GLAD TIDINGS WE BRING,
FROM VI-I-LENKIN
DON'T CRY IF YOUR WORLD SUCKS
ITS MUCH BETTER HERE

WE WISH YOU A LUCKY QUARK MASS
WE WISH YOU A PROPER HIGGS VEV
WE WISH YOU A PERFECT WEAK SCALE
AND A HAPPY VACUUUUUMMM.

You can't live until you get stars
So bring them right here.

GLAD TIDINGS WE BRING,
FROM FROM VI-I-LENKIN
DON'T CRY IF YOUR WORLD SUCKS
ITS MUCH BETTER HERE

WE WISH YOU A TINY CC
WE WISH YOU A TINY CC
WE WISH YOU A TINY CC
IN A BIG MULTIVERSE!

----endquote---

Here is the Lubos song "Single Vevs" to the tune of Jingle Bells.
this song expresses wish that a better theory would collapse the Landscape down into a SINGLE SET OF UNIQUELY DETERMINED vacuum expectation values or VEVS. It is a jolly hopeful song. I will print the chorus first, because that is the usual way we remember Jingle Bells.
I will surpress the "Oh" at the start of the chorus, because it is not required. People who know the song will put it in AD LIB if they wish. I will also surpress Lubos confusing square brackets and make other minor emendations. See Lubos website for the original.

-----quote, with slight changes------

Single set of single vevs, single all the way!
Grab the other vacua and throw them all away.
Oh, what fun it is to thrash anthropic beasts of prey.

Trashing discretuum,
with a one-choice vacuum.
Laughing with our boss
and with David Gross... (( Ha, ha, ha ))
Vevs are 'bout to ring
Making spirits bright
What fun it is to determine
the one background that's right.

Landscape now is gone,
so let's have some fun
Take Witten along
And sing predictive song.
Starting from the state
Two-forty-eight E-eight,
Numbers you can calculate
and crack! You won't be late.

-----endquote-----

an example of a beast of prey is a tiger or a panther. I am worried by the image of someone trying to thrash a panther. the panther might object to being thrashed, and make a scene.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Marcus said:
I am worried by the image of someone trying to thrash a panther. the panther might object to being thrashed, and make a scene.
Well but these are anthropic beasts of prey, and being thrashed by the single vevs that Santa if no one else may bring, they will vanish away and fail to make the scene!:tongue:

selfAdjoint said:
Well but these are anthropic beasts of prey, and being thrashed by the single vevs that Santa if no one else may bring, they will vanish away and fail to make the scene!:tongue:
It seems to make Lenny Susskind out to be a predator, which might be OK, though in the current circumstance he looks more like a wiley scavenger type to me.

the issue is what rhymes with way, and has something to do with anthropery, landscapery. Maybe "beasts of prey" is right and maybe it isnt. We could try different things, and see.

decay

cliché

so far I can't think of any improvement

-----------------------------------------

[afterthought: what about this?]

Dump the other vacua, they're starting to decay.
Anthropery is potpourri, so throw the rest away.

Last edited:

1. What are "Lubos Motl Christmas Songs"?

"Lubos Motl Christmas Songs" are a collection of holiday-themed songs written and performed by theoretical physicist Luboš Motl. They are a unique blend of scientific concepts and traditional Christmas themes.

2. How many songs are included in the collection?

As of now, there are 10 songs in the "Lubos Motl Christmas Songs" collection. However, Motl has stated that he may add more in the future.

3. What inspired Luboš Motl to write these Christmas songs?

Motl has a passion for both science and music, and he wanted to combine the two in a fun and creative way. He also wanted to share his love for Christmas with others through his songs.

4. Are the songs scientifically accurate?

Yes, Motl incorporates scientific principles and ideas into his songs in a humorous and lighthearted manner. However, they should not be taken as scientific facts.

5. Can I listen to these songs anywhere?

Yes, "Lubos Motl Christmas Songs" can be found on various music streaming platforms such as Spotify, Apple Music, and YouTube. They can also be purchased on major online music stores.