Get Better at Complex Analysis: Urgent Help Needed

In summary: I cannot answer that question.SummaryIn summary, our course expects us to have completed the entire textbook and have all the problems done. Its only week 6/14 and we've just finished chapter 5. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
trickae
I'm currently doing a course in complex analysis and we're using
fundamentals of complex analysis, by saff and snider.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0139078746/?tag=pfamazon01-20

And Our problem sets are from the questions at the end of the chapters. I'm finding these questions incredibly hard even when 'armed' with schaums outlines on complex analysis with solved problems (by spiegal).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070602301/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Any help? How do you complex analysis guru's do it?
Our course expects us to have completed the entire textbook and have all the problems done. Its only week 6/14 and we've just finished chapter 5. Any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First you don't confuse "Complex Analysis" with "Number Theory"! I'm moving this to "Calculus and Analysis" where you may get more help.

Well, I'd recommend you to read other books as well. Maybe this particular book isn't working for you. Classic texts that worked for me are https://www.amazon.com/dp/071672877X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Churchill & Brown.

Also, you should gather with your classmates to do homework. Not to copy it. Togheter you'll be able to discuss and understand better the subject.

Finally, ask your teachers or in this forum all you don't understand, no matter how silly a question you may think it is, there are good people here with the interest to help, from (very eager) high school students to PhD's with great knowledge and understanding.

"An Invitation to Complex Analysis" by Ralph Boas is also excellent and, in my opinion, easier to understand that most other texts.

i recommend the text by
henri cartan, or intro to complex variables by an author named frederick greenleaf.

Last edited:
Introduction to complex variables (ISBN: 0721642608)
Frederick P Greenleaf
Bookseller: BetterWorld.com
(Mishawaka, IN, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 6.25
[Convert Currency]
Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 3.49
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Saunders. Book Condition: Used - Good. Shows some signs of wear, and may have some markings on the inside. 100% Money Back Guarantee. Shipped to over one million happy customers! Support Literacy! Your purchase benefits Books For Africa!. Bookseller Inventory # DP-305-800

thanks guys - but in your opinion what do you think of saff and snider? Its becoming the primary text for the course for a number of places. I have churchill and spiegals schaums outline.

I can only offer my inexpert opinion. I had done some research because I wanted to get a heads-up on complex analysis before confronting it formally. I had found some rather excited recommendations for Visual Complex Analysis by Needham https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198534469/?tag=pfamazon01-20 Some of the reviews are beyond glowing so maybe it's worth a shot. I haven't gotten around to getting a text yet so let me know what you ultimately decide.

thanks duke

- Look at 'Wikipedia' its cheaper faster than reading a boring book made only to earn $$$$ 'math for the people by the people' is just more direct.

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the analysis of their properties, behavior, and relationships with other mathematical objects such as real numbers and vectors.

Why is it important to get better at complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a fundamental subject in mathematics and has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Improving your skills in complex analysis can help you solve complex problems in these areas and deepen your understanding of mathematics.

What are some tips for getting better at complex analysis?

Some tips for improving your skills in complex analysis include practicing regularly, understanding the fundamental concepts and theorems, and familiarizing yourself with common techniques and methods used in the subject. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a tutor or join study groups to discuss and solve problems together.

What are some common challenges in learning complex analysis?

Complex analysis can be challenging due to its abstract nature and the complex number system. It also requires a strong foundation in calculus and other mathematical concepts. Understanding the key concepts and practicing regularly can help overcome these challenges.

Are there any online resources for getting help with complex analysis?

Yes, there are many online resources available for getting help with complex analysis, such as video lectures, online courses, interactive tutorials, and forums for discussing problems with other students and experts. It is important to choose reputable and reliable sources for accurate information and guidance.