Math (online) test at university level for non-student

In summary, the individual is looking for tests at the university level, either online or in-person, that would be recognized and accepted by universities for potential entrance into a master's degree program in the future. They have a background in mechanical engineering and are currently practicing with a calculus book used at universities. They are also interested in obtaining a certificate to demonstrate their level of knowledge gained. They have considered taking practice tests for the Math GRE, but may not be suitable since they are not a US citizen. They are also considering taking old tests from undergrad math classes to evaluate their current level of math competency. They have a BSc in ME and are looking to apply for a MSc in ME, but in the Netherlands, a bridging program is mandatory
Mech_LS24
Hi all!

During the weekend I exercise with math problems from the Calculus book (LINK - Calculus). Are there any tests which I can take on university level (online or physically)? It would be nice if the tests are recognized/accepted by universities as I consider doing a master-study in the future. My background is within mechanical engineering.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is any set of tests that would be considered an acceptable substitute for doing an undergraduate degree. Do you have one and are just trying to get more into math right now? What kind of masters degree are you hoping to get?

Likes Mech_LS24
Mech_LS24 said:
Are there any tests which I can take on university level (online or physically)? It would be nice if the tests are recognized/accepted by universities as I consider doing a master-study in the future.
Maybe take some practice tests for the Math GRE, and then take the actual Math GRE?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ook_math.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3TushzvEVEocFKmxWKWr0d

But as @Office_Shredder says, you probably need an undergraduate math degree to get into a graduate math program...

Likes Mech_LS24
In another post, you said you have a BSME. Didn't you already take intro calculus years ago then? I ask because reading the reviews for the book you linked to, it seems like it is intended for intro calculus.

What subject do you want to get a master's in? Math?

Likes PeroK, Mech_LS24 and berkeman
vela said:
In another post, you said you have a BSME.
That.s correct, I have a Bsc in ME :).

But I would like to extend it to master-level, therefore I am exercise with the calculus book as mentioned which is used at the University. It would be nice if I could take a (more or less 'general') test indicating at what level I am. A test with added a certificate is preferred, which can substantiate the level of knowlegde gained.

berkeman said:
Maybe take some practice tests for the Math GRE, and then take the actual Math GRE?
Looks good! Is this Math test only for US citizens? Wikipedia says:
"Scores on this exam are required for entrance to most math Ph.D. programs in the United States"

With some practice, is this feasible for me with a Bsc?

vela said:
What subject do you want to get a master's in? Math?
If so, I would like to get Mechanical Engineering masters.

Thanks for your replies!

Mech_LS24 said:
That.s correct, I have a Bsc in ME :).

But I would like to extend it to master-level, therefore I am exercise with the calculus book as mentioned which is used at the University. It would be nice if I could take a (more or less 'general') test indicating at what level I am. A test with added a certificate is preferred, which can substantiate the level of knowlegde gained.Looks good! Is this Math test only for US citizens? Wikipedia says:
"Scores on this exam are required for entrance to most math Ph.D. programs in the United States"

With some practice, is this feasible for me with a Bsc?If so, I would like to get Mechanical Engineering masters.

Thanks for your replies!
This is confusing. If you already have a BSc in ME and want to apply for a MSc in ME, don't you already have the requisite credentials? Why would you need a certificate showing your level of undergrad math? That should be in your transcript.

You haven't said how long ago you got your BSc. So if you just want to evaluate your current level of math competency, then the math GRE may not be suitable [ETA: doesn't hurt, I suppose; but if it's geared towards math majors, you might not do so well in some areas]. See if the university or universities you are interested in have available old tests from their undergrad math classes [that a BSc ME would take].

Last edited:
Likes vela
The certificate would be 'nice-to-have', and isn't requisite for me. I am considering a master degree so the certificate could give probably an exemption (?). I got my BSc now 1 year, here in the Netherlands the BSc isn't enough for starting directly to the masters-program, an bridging program is mandatory to follow.

Mech_LS24 said:
The certificate would be 'nice-to-have', and isn't requisite for me. I am considering a master degree so the certificate could give probably an exemption (?). I got my BSc now 1 year, here in the Netherlands the BSc isn't enough for starting directly to the masters-program, an bridging program is mandatory to follow.
In that case, you should directly contact the universities that you are interested in for your MSc; discuss their entrance requirements; and ask whether they offer proficiency exams that would provide waivers for specific requirements.

ETA: Just curious: What does the bridging program involve? Who or what provides bridging programs?

Last edited:

1. What topics are typically covered on a math online test at the university level for non-students?

The topics covered on a math online test at the university level for non-students may vary depending on the specific course or program. However, some common topics include algebra, calculus, geometry, statistics, and trigonometry.

2. How long is a math online test at the university level for non-students?

The length of a math online test at the university level for non-students can also vary, but it is usually around 1-2 hours. This may also depend on the number of questions and the difficulty level of the test.

3. Can I use a calculator on a math online test at the university level for non-students?

Again, this may depend on the specific test or course. Some tests may allow the use of a calculator, while others may not. It is important to check with the instructor or course materials beforehand to know if a calculator is permitted.

4. Are there any resources or study materials available for a math online test at the university level for non-students?

Yes, there are usually study materials and resources available for non-students taking a math online test at the university level. These may include practice tests, review guides, and online tutorials. It is important to utilize these resources to prepare for the test.

5. How can I prepare for a math online test at the university level for non-students?

To prepare for a math online test at the university level for non-students, it is important to review course materials, practice with sample questions, and utilize available resources. It may also be helpful to study with a group or seek assistance from a tutor if needed.