Problem statement, all variables and given/known data

• Thread starter SteveL27
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a homework template in posts on the Physics Forums board. This template includes sections for the problem statement, variables, and given/known data, as well as the attempt at a solution. It is a convention on the board and is automatically generated when starting a new thread in the homework forums.
SteveL27
"problem statement, all variables and given/known data"

Couldn't find anywhere else to post this. I was just curious. In a lot of the posts on this board, people organize their question as

1. Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering if this is a convention on this board, or if this is something they teach all the physics students these days.

Physics news on Phys.org

It's our homework template.

Evo said:
It's our homework template.

I was not able to find it. I read the forum guidelines and I must say that's a very entertaining collection of crackpot links :-) But I could not find any reference to the homework template. Just curious if someone could point me to it.

It's right there in your first post on this thread :wink:

When you click the button to make a new post in one of the homework forums, the text box is pre-filled with the homework template. That's the original source.

FYI, "the homework forums" means any forum in the Homework & Coursework Questions area of Physics Forums:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152

For any thread started there (and only there), the homework template is automatically generated in the first post of the thread.

What is a problem statement?

A problem statement is a concise description of the issue or question that a scientific study or experiment aims to address. It outlines the problem, its importance, and the proposed solution or research objective.

What are variables in a scientific study?

In a scientific study, variables are factors or conditions that can be manipulated, measured, or controlled. They are used to test the effects of different conditions on the outcome of the study. There are independent variables, which are intentionally changed by the researcher, and dependent variables, which are affected by the changes in the independent variables.

What does "given/known data" refer to?

"Given/known data" refers to the information that is already known or available to the researcher before conducting a study or experiment. This can include previous research findings, background information, or data collected from previous studies.

Why is it important to clearly define all variables in a study?

Defining all variables in a study is crucial because it allows for the replication of the study and ensures that the results are accurate and reliable. It also helps other researchers understand the study and its findings, and allows for the comparison of results between different studies.

How can a clear problem statement and defined variables improve the validity of a study?

A clear problem statement and defined variables can improve the validity of a study by ensuring that the research is focused and relevant, minimizing the potential for bias, and allowing for the replication and verification of the study by other researchers. It also helps to establish a clear relationship between the variables and the research question, making the results more accurate and trustworthy.