Older nuclear structure models.

In summary, the conversation discusses a model of nuclei that assumed they were composed of protons and electrons. However, this model was deemed incompatible with the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Relation and the nuclear spin of the deuteron, which was known to be different from the values predicted by the model. The model predicted half-integer values for the nuclear spin due to the combination of three spin-1/2 particles, but this did not match the observed nuclear spin of the deuteron.
carllacan
Hi people.

I just read this somewhere
A first assumption was that nuclei were composed of A protons and Z - A electrons, so that the mass would be A·u and the charge Z·e, but this was uncompatible with Heisenberg’s Uncertainty relation (delta-p would be so big that the electron would be unbounded) and the nuclear spin of the deuteron (which was known to be I= 1·h instead of the values of ½ · h or 3/2·h this model gave)
and I can't get my head around it.

How is the Uncertainty Relation uncompatible with the idea of a proton-electron nucleus?

And can you explain why this model predicted those values for the nuclear spin?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
carllacan said:
the nuclear spin of the deuteron (which was known to be I= 1·h instead of the values of ½ · h or 3/2·h this model gave)
And can you explain why this model predicted those values for the nuclear spin?
In this model the deuteron would consist of two protons and one electron, i.e. three spin-1/2 particles. To get the resulting overall spin, you would have to combine three spin-1/2's with whatever orbital angular momentum there was. However you do it, the total spin comes out half-integer.

Likes 1 person

1. What are older nuclear structure models?

Older nuclear structure models refer to theoretical models used to describe the properties and behavior of atomic nuclei. These models were developed in the mid-20th century and are based on the nuclear shell model, liquid drop model, and collective model.

2. How do these models differ from newer ones?

Newer nuclear structure models incorporate more advanced mathematical and computational techniques, as well as experimental data, to provide a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of nuclear structure. They also account for the effects of nuclear forces and quantum mechanics at a more detailed level.

3. What are the limitations of older nuclear structure models?

One major limitation of older nuclear structure models is their inability to accurately predict the properties of exotic nuclei, such as those with extreme numbers of protons or neutrons. They also do not account for the effects of nuclear spin and parity, which are crucial for understanding nuclear behavior.

4. Are older nuclear structure models still used in research?

While newer models have largely replaced older ones, they are still used in some cases for their simplicity and ability to provide a general understanding of nuclear structure. However, they are often used in conjunction with more advanced models to provide a more complete picture.

5. How have older nuclear structure models contributed to our understanding of the atomic nucleus?

Despite their limitations, older nuclear structure models have played a crucial role in laying the foundation for modern nuclear physics. They have provided valuable insights into the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei and have helped guide the development of newer, more sophisticated models.