Problem with integration for WKB approximation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with integration for the WKB approximation in MATLAB. The issue is that there is an integral within a cosine function, making it difficult to solve numerically. The individual found a solution using the quad function and shares their code for reference.
magimbu
problem with integration for WKB approximation in MATLAB

hi all,
i have been having troubles with getting MATLAB to solve the following problem (the language is not the MATLAB one, the functions are not solvable by the symbolic integration and i was trying to get one of the quad functions to do it)(r1,r2 are numbers):

int(function*cos(int(function2,rprime,r,r2)),r,r1,r2)

As you can see the problem is that inside the cosinues there is an integral that goes from r ( variable of the first integral) to r2, so i can t solve it numerically, because i need it in function of r in order to perform the big integral.

I thought a couple integral function would exist but i am not able to find any ( the doublequad only works if its only one function integreded twice).

I hope what i wrote cna be understood, and appreciate your help and time!
JN

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi all,
i found the answer a couple hours ago, even if accuracy hasn t been the best, it is just now a matter of choosing the right integration algorithm withim matlab.
I have until now write it using quad, basically the principle is that every time the outside integration wants to evaluate the function at a certain point, i evaluate the inner integral starting at that point. i m posting my solution so maybe it can help somebody else, thanks for looking at my post. so the code looks like this:

solutionTest= quad((@integrand2),r1,r2)

% then here is integrand 2, the letters are global constants

function valor = integrand2(r)

% here i have to see how many steps there are and for each of those i do
% the numerical integration inside
steps1 = size(r);
steps = steps1(1,2);
i=1;
% and for each step i perform the integration

while i <steps+1

valores(i) = 1./(((Q-calculateVTotal1(r(i))).*2*reducedMass/(hbar^2)).^(1/2))*cos( quad((@integrand1),r(i),r2)).^2;
i=i+1;
end
valor = valores;

end

What is the WKB approximation method?

The WKB (Wentzel-Kramers-Brillouin) approximation method is a semi-classical method used in quantum mechanics to approximate the solutions of the Schrödinger equation in cases where the potential energy varies smoothly with position. It is based on the principle of stationary phase and is used to calculate the wave function of a particle in a potential.

What is the problem with integration for WKB approximation?

The problem with integration for WKB approximation is that it can only be applied in certain cases where the potential energy varies smoothly. In cases where the potential energy has sharp discontinuities or rapidly oscillating regions, the WKB method will not be accurate and will give incorrect results.

How does the WKB approximation method work?

The WKB approximation method works by dividing the wave function into different regions where the potential energy varies smoothly. In each region, the wave function is approximated by a simple mathematical function. These approximations are then matched at the boundaries between the regions to give a complete solution for the wave function.

What are the limitations of the WKB approximation method?

The WKB approximation method is limited to systems with one-dimensional motion and is not valid for systems with multiple particles. It also cannot be applied to systems with rapidly varying potentials or potentials with multiple wells. Additionally, the WKB method only gives an approximate solution and may not be accurate for all cases.

What are some applications of the WKB approximation method?

The WKB approximation method is commonly used in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and nuclear physics. It is often used to calculate the energy levels of a quantum system and to study the behavior of particles in potential wells. It has also been applied in other fields such as optics and electromagnetism.