Boolean function F = A+B.C

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, The author is explaining how a Boolean function with three variables (A, B, and C) can be expressed using Boolean algebra, which involves logic gates. The first step involves using the properties of sets to show that any set (A) is equal to the intersection of itself and the whole space, and that the union of any set (B) and its complement (B') is equal to the whole space. This can be translated into Boolean algebra as A=A.(B+B')=A.B+A.B', where . represents intersection, + represents union, and ' represents complement. The author also mentions that any missing variables (B and C) can be included without changing the function.
jackson6612
I'm new to this math world, so please explain your reply in as much detail as possible. Thank you.

Please have a look on this link (Example 6.4):
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3667/img0023hg.jpg

Boolean function is [tex]F=A+\overset{\_\_}{B}.C[/tex]. I don't understand even the first step. I don't understand what it means by saying that the function has three variables A, B, and C. The first term A is missing two variables (B and C).

Please help me. Thank you for your time.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The first step is simply saying any set (A) can br expressed as the intersection of itself and the whole space. Furthermore the union of any set (B) and its complement (B') = the whole space. Putting this together and you get A=A.(B + B')=A.B + A.B'

. means intersection, + means union.

Thank you, Mathman.

But these things 'intersection' and 'uniion' are studied under topics of sets. That Boolean function is part of Boolean algebra involving logic gates. So, could you please deal it that way? Further, I don't even get what the question is asking. Could you please shine a light on this too? Thank you very much for all the guidance and your time.

The algebra of "logic gates" and the algebra of sets are essentially identical. I happen to be used to sets, so I express it that way. union is equivalent to "or", intersection is equivalent to "and" and complement is equivalent to "not".

As for
The first term A is missing two variables (B and C).
, all the author is saying you can always throw in [B or (not B)] without changing anything.

Hello, and welcome to the world of Boolean functions! Don't worry, it can seem confusing at first, but with a little explanation, you'll understand it in no time.

First, let's break down the function F = A+B.C. A Boolean function is a mathematical function that takes in Boolean variables (variables that can only have two values, typically 0 or 1) and produces a Boolean output. In this case, A, B, and C are the Boolean variables. They can each have a value of either 0 or 1.

Now, let's look at the function itself. The "+" sign represents the logical OR operation, while the "." represents the logical AND operation. So, the function F = A+B.C can be read as "F equals A OR (B AND C)." This means that the output of the function will be 1 if either A is 1 or both B and C are 1. Otherwise, the output will be 0.

Next, let's look at the example provided in the link. In this example, we are given a truth table, which is a table that shows all possible combinations of inputs and their corresponding outputs for a given Boolean function. This is a helpful tool for understanding how a Boolean function works.

In the first column, we have the inputs A, B, and C. As mentioned before, these can each have a value of either 0 or 1. In the second column, we have the output of the function, which is denoted as F. As you can see, the output of the function changes depending on the inputs.

For example, in the first row, A=0, B=0, and C=0. Plugging these values into the function F = A+B.C, we get F = 0+0.0 = 0. So, when A=0, B=0, and C=0, the output of the function is 0. You can follow the same process for the rest of the rows to understand how the output changes with different input combinations.

I hope this explanation helps you understand Boolean functions and their truth tables a little better. Just remember that A, B, and C are the inputs, and the function F = A+B.C tells us how these inputs will affect the output. Keep practicing and you'll become a pro in no time!

1. What is a Boolean function?

A Boolean function is a mathematical function that takes one or more binary inputs (typically 0 or 1) and produces a single binary output. It is commonly used in digital electronics and computer programming to represent logical operations.

2. What does the expression F = A+B.C mean?

The expression F = A+B.C represents a Boolean function where the output (F) is equal to the logical OR operation of two inputs (A and B.C). This means that the output will be 1 if either input A is 1, or if both inputs B and C are 1.

3. How is the truth table for F = A+B.C calculated?

The truth table for F = A+B.C is calculated by listing out all possible combinations of inputs (A, B, and C) and determining the output (F) based on the logical OR operation. For example, if A=0, B=1, and C=1, then F=1 because either A is 1, or both B and C are 1.

4. Can a Boolean function have more than two inputs?

Yes, a Boolean function can have any number of inputs. However, it is most commonly used with two or three inputs. As the number of inputs increases, so does the complexity of the truth table and the function itself.

5. How is a Boolean function used in computer programming?

A Boolean function is used in computer programming to represent logical operations such as AND, OR, and NOT. It can also be used to control the flow of a program by evaluating certain conditions and determining whether to execute a certain block of code or not.