Fourier transform: duality property and convolution

In summary, the conversation discusses the duality property of the Fourier transform and the difficulties the person is facing in understanding it. They mention their attempts to use duality to compute the Fourier transform of a product in the time domain, but ultimately find that they need to include a factor of 1/2π. After further analysis and defining the Fourier transform in terms of uppercase and lowercase letters, they are able to prove the frequency-domain convolution property using duality. They also express their confusion and ask for tips and advice.
fatpotato
Homework Statement
Using duality, prove that ##F(t)G(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} \frac{1}{2\pi} f(-\omega) \ast g(-\omega)##
Relevant Equations
Definition of Fourier transform : ## \mathscr{F} \{x(t)\} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x(t) e^{-j\omega t} dt ##

Definition of inverse Fourier transform : ## \mathscr{F}^{-1} \{X(\omega)\} = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} X(\omega) e^{j\omega t} d\omega ##

Duality property : If ##x(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow}X(\omega)## then ##X(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} 2\pi x(-\omega)##

Fourier transform of a convolution : ## f(t) \ast g(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} F(\omega) G(\omega) ##
Hello,

First of all, I checked several other threads mentioning duality, but could not find a satisfying answer, and I don't want to revive years old posts on the subject; if this is bad practice, please notify me (my apologies if that is the case).

For the past few days, I have had a lot of troubles with the duality property of the Fourier transform (to put it lightly, I am desperate). I want to prove that a product in the time domain corresponds to a convolution in the frequency domain, but I cannot get it to work.

What I understand (I hope):

Duality states that if ##f(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} F(\omega)## then ##F(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} 2\pi f(-\omega)##, meaning that we can easily find the Fourier transform of a function whose morphology is known from a table of transforms, for example.

Thus, knowing that ## \delta(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} 1##, by duality we have ## 1 \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} 2\pi \delta(-\omega) = 2\pi \delta(\omega) ##, by parity of the Dirac's delta function.

What I don't understand :

We know that ## f(t) \ast g(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} F(\omega) G(\omega) ##, so I would want to compute the Fourier transform of ##F(t) G(t)## using duality like stated before:
$$ F(t)G(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} 2\pi f(-\omega) \ast g(-\omega)$$
But this is wrong, and my lessons mention that instead I should have:
$$ F(t)G(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} \frac{1}{2\pi} f(-\omega) \ast g(-\omega)$$
This is the part that is making me lose sleep. Why is my first try erroneous? Further, if I try to define ## h(t) = f(t) \ast g(t) ##, then its Fourier transform should be ##H(\omega) = F(\omega)G(\omega)##, and now going purely by duality I should find:
$$ F(t)G(t) = H(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} 2\pi h(-\omega) = 2\pi \big( f(-\omega) \ast g(-\omega) \big)$$
This is contradictory, because we should have ## H(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} 2\pi h(-\omega) ##, which is basically how the property is stated in my lesson (except for using another letter which does not matter). However, the result is wrong.

What I have tried :

I suspected a misinterpretation of the duality (although my symbolic manipulation looks correct to me) and that I should rather think of "putting the Fourier transform of each function on the right side", yielding:
$$ F(t)G(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} 2\pi \big( 2\pi f(-\omega) \ast 2\pi g(-\omega) \big)$$
Where ##2\pi f(-\omega)## if the Fourier transform of ##F(t)##, likewise for ##G(t)##. Still, in this scenario, I have ##2\pi## to the cube, whereas I should have ##\frac{1}{2\pi}##...

Any generous mind to put an end to my torment?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I think I managed to get some modicum of understanding, but any comment is more than welcome, I am not sure of my steps.

Looking again at the following:
$$ F(t)G(t) = H(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} 2\pi h(-\omega) = 2\pi \big( f(-\omega) \ast g(-\omega) \big)$$
I believe that there are missing steps. First, let us define the Fourier transform of ##F(t)## and ##G(t)## using the overscript hat symbol to denote the Fourier transform:
$$F(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} \hat{F}(\omega) = 2\pi f(-\omega) \,\,\,\,\, , \,\,\,\,\, G(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow} \hat{G}(\omega) = 2\pi g(-\omega)$$
Thus, I can replace ##f(-\omega)## by ##\frac{\hat{F}(\omega)}{2\pi}## and ##g(-\omega)## by ##\frac{\hat{G}(\omega)}{2\pi}## to get:
$$ 2\pi \big( f(-\omega) \ast g(-\omega) \big) = 2\pi \big( \frac{\hat{F}(\omega)}{2\pi} \ast \frac{\hat{G}(\omega)}{2\pi} \big) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\big( \hat{F}(\omega) \ast \hat{G}(\omega) \big)$$
Now, reverting back to the first symbolic notation, where time-domain functions are written with lowercase characters, and their Fourier transforms are written in the frequency-domain using uppercase characters, we are allowed to write:
$$ f(t)g(t) \overset{\mathscr{F}}{\longleftrightarrow}\frac{1}{2\pi}\big( F(\omega) \ast G(\omega) \big)$$
Thus proving the initial frequency-domain convolution property.

If this proof is correct, I believe that I now understand how to prove properties using duality, but applying duality to actual transform pairs will surely confuse my poor small brain. Tips and advice are welcome.

Edit: reword

1. What is the duality property of Fourier transform?

The duality property of Fourier transform states that the Fourier transform of a function in the time domain is equal to the inverse Fourier transform of the same function in the frequency domain. In other words, the Fourier transform and its inverse are symmetrically related.

2. How does the duality property relate to the convolution theorem?

The duality property is closely related to the convolution theorem, which states that the Fourier transform of the convolution of two functions is equal to the pointwise product of their Fourier transforms. This means that the duality property allows us to easily compute convolutions by simply multiplying the Fourier transforms of the functions involved.

3. Can you explain the concept of convolution in Fourier transform?

In Fourier transform, convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to create a third function. It is represented by an asterisk symbol (∗) and is defined as the integral of the product of the two functions after one is reversed and shifted. Convolution is useful in signal processing and image processing as it allows us to filter signals and extract information from them.

4. What is the significance of the duality property in real-world applications?

The duality property of Fourier transform has many practical applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It allows us to easily switch between the time and frequency domains, making it easier to analyze and manipulate data. It also simplifies complex mathematical operations, such as convolutions, which are commonly used in these fields.

5. Are there any limitations to the duality property of Fourier transform?

While the duality property is a powerful tool in mathematical analysis, it does have its limitations. It only applies to functions that are square-integrable, meaning that their Fourier transforms exist. Additionally, the duality property does not hold for functions that are not continuous or have discontinuities, making it less useful in certain real-world scenarios.