Navigating Math Grad School Admissions: GPA, GRE, and Course Selection

In summary, a 3.5 GPA and a 50th percentile on the math gre will not get you into top tier schools, but a good letters of recommendation and a good GRE score will help.
bcchoi
Hey, I'm planning on grad school in applied mathematics and was wondering a few things:

1. For applied math, how strongly do "core" courses like analysis and abstract algebra weigh against say probability or even "elective" courses like number theory?

2. I'm double majoring right now with a 3.1 gpa overall. If my gpa in mathematics is 3.5, would a 3.1 gpa hurt me in admissions or are schools more interested in gpa in the subject you're applying for?

3. With a 3.5 gpa, what the odds of mid-high tier schools? Say UC Davis and up.

4. How important is the math subject GRE vs. your gpa and letters of recommendation?

Thanks for the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. For Applied Math, I would think Analysis would be important, but abstract algebra and number theory are not.

2. Keep the Math GPA above 3.5 and you should be alright.

3. One needs more than a good GPA to get into a top (40ish) school. Try to do some research, and get some great letters of recommendation. If your professors don't know you, then it is time to start hanging out at their office, asking them questions, going beyond the material presented in class, etc.

4. GPA and letters of recommendation are more important than the Math subject GRE. Just make sure you score at least 50th percentile on the subject test and you should be alright.

I doubt a 3.5 and 50th percentile in the math gre would get you into uc davis. Maybe, but I doubt it.

As far as applied math goes, you'll need to take algebra since everyone has to take it. You need to ACE analysis. It's the foundation of most applied math (especially anything involving pde or probability). If you're going into applied, number theory is a waste of time. It's a nice course and all, but it would be at the very bottom of classes you should take. (maybe a topics course in logic would be lower, but otherwise...)

Sorry if my above post was unclear: when I said 3.5 GPA and 50th percentile, I meant those are (in most cases) necessary, but not sufficient conditions.

That's discouraging. I wish it was easier to dig up statistics on average accepted student GPA at specific schools rather than having to dig around all the sites. Would very strong letters of recommendations and a great GRE subject score help fix a poorer gpa? I really screwed up my second year with some of the earlier probability, statistics, and linear algebra courses and accumulated some C's when the courses really should have been easy A's. I've gotten much better grades since but the damage has been done.

I'm not an applied math student, but I recently applied to graduate school and got rejected from all PhD admissions.

I had a 3.8 overall GPA, a 3.9 math GPA, was working on an open problem with a well known professor, did an independent study in general relativity with another professor and got another letter of recommendation from a well known applied math professor whose courses I aced. I figure I had 2 good letters and 1 mediocre letter. Also I did not have make significant headway in the problem at the time of graduate application deadlines. I also had a 35% GRE Math score.

Anyway, here is what happened for me:
I was very high on the waitlist at UCSD but ultimately did not get in, same with Rutgers. I did end up getting admitted to NYU's masters of mathematics program, but ultimately I declined.

I will retake the GRE Math (hopefully get an 80+ percentile score) and come back for another semester and do 3 research projects, 2 with world famous professors in math and physics.

The bottom line: if you have less than stellar grades or less than stellar gre scores, get great letters. I think my letter from my honors thesis advisor SAVED ME, even though I did not get into any PhD programs (I only applied to top 25 programs). But I know first hand that I was very high on the wait list at schools like UCSD and Rutgers with a garbage GRE Math score.

I got 56% on the subject test, but 1520 on the general GRE, and a terrible undergrad GPA. I got into a top-25 program, so it can be done. I'm just saying that it came as a surprise to me. A 3.5 GPA and a 50% on the subject test are, like a previous poster said, the bare minimum. But if you're applying to really competitive programs (and the top 50 are all really competitive), the bare minimum is probably not going to cut it.

1. What are the basic qualifications for admission to a math graduate program?

The exact qualifications may vary depending on the specific program and school, but typically, applicants are expected to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including undergraduate coursework in topics such as calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra. Additionally, a strong background in computer science and programming may also be beneficial for some programs.

2. What types of degrees are offered in math graduate programs?

Most math graduate programs offer both master's and doctoral degrees. A master's degree typically takes 2-3 years to complete and is often a prerequisite for pursuing a doctoral degree. Doctoral degrees can take anywhere from 4-7 years to complete and often involve original research in a specific area of mathematics.

3. How important are letters of recommendation for math graduate school applications?

Letters of recommendation are a crucial part of the application process for math graduate school. They provide insight into an applicant's academic abilities and potential for success in a graduate program. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your strengths and potential as a math student.

4. Are there any specific exams or tests required for math graduate school?

Many math graduate programs require applicants to take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination), which tests verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing skills. Some programs may also require applicants to take the Mathematics Subject GRE, which tests knowledge in specific areas of mathematics. Additionally, international students may be required to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) to demonstrate proficiency in English.

5. What can I expect from the coursework in a math graduate program?

The coursework in a math graduate program is typically more advanced and specialized than undergraduate coursework. It may include topics such as real analysis, complex analysis, topology, and differential equations. In addition to coursework, graduate students may also have teaching or research assistantship responsibilities, as well as opportunities to participate in seminars and conferences.