Meteor Entering Orbit of a Sun (cons. energy & momentum) [very hard algebra]

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a meteor moving towards the solar system and how to find its distance from the sun at the point of closest approach. The conversation includes equations and various attempts at solving the problem, with the final solution involving a minor error in the algebraic calculations.
DD31

Homework Statement

Alright, so I've given this guy a few cracks, and I think I'm close to it, but apparently I'm not right, so here's how it goes. Simple in concept.

A meteor moves toward the solar system with speed v0 in a direction such that it would miss the sun by a distance d if it were not attracted by the sun's gravitational force. Denote the mass of the sun by M. Find the distance b of the meteor from the sun at the point of closest approach in terms of v0, d, and M (and G, the gravitational constant).

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8376/lg0704figgx8.jpg
http://g.imageshack.us/img515/lg0704figgx8.jpg/1/

Homework Equations

They effectively give me a few formulas in the helper questions provided:

The momentum and energy are conserved
Initial energy = 1/2mv0^2
Final energy = 1/2mV^2 - GMm/b

Initial Momentum = mv0d
Final Momentum = mVb

Where V=the final velocity of the object at point b

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like the error here is most likely in my algebra, as I'm having a ton of troble easily isolating b. But here are the ways I've tried so far:

I always start with the equations:

1/2mv0^2 = 1/2mV^2 - GMm/b

and

mv0d = mVb.

I then cancel out all the m's and multiply out the 2 in the top one to get:

v0^2 = V^2 - 2GM/b

and

v0d = Vb

From this point, I'll either solve for b in the top or solve for V in the bottom. If I solve for b in the top, I get:

V^2 - v0^2 = 2GM/b, b = 2GM/(V^2 - v0^2)

Then I would solve for V in the bottom one:

V = v0d/b

Subbing that in gets

b = 2GM/((v0d/b)^2 - v0^2)

And this is where I think I go wrong...trying to get b out of this. I've tried rearranging the equation to bring all the b's to one side, I've tried resubstituting stuff...most recently I tried quad formula:

I factored out the v0's on the bottom:

2GM/((v0^2)(d^2/b^2-1)) = b

b(d^2/b^2 - 1) = 2GM/v0^2

d^2/b - b = 2GM/v0^2

d^2 - b^2 = 2GMb/v0^2

b^2 + 2GMb/(v0^2) - d^2 = 0

then, using 1 as (a), 2GM/v0^2 as (b) and -d^2 as (c), I did quad form and got:

(-2GM/(v0^2)+sqrt((2GM/v0^2)^2-4d^2))/2

or

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/482/e5a7daf972eacf000cabb54ld4.gif
http://g.imageshack.us/img395/e5a7daf972eacf000cabb54ld4.gif/1/

But that was not correct

I'm officially stumped by this point...I've taken 4 cracks at it, to no avail. Am I setting up the formulas incorrectly, or am I just screwing up on the algebra over and over?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are really close.

What is "-4ac", when c is -d2? (And a=1 of course)

haha...wow. I see it...it just should be + 4d^2. Just put that in and it worked. Thanks a ton...Almost sure I wouldn't have picked that out without doing the whole thing over again.

Thanks.

1. How does a meteor enter the orbit of a sun?

A meteor enters the orbit of a sun due to the gravitational pull of the sun. As the meteor gets closer to the sun, the force of gravity increases and causes the meteor to fall into a curved path around the sun.

2. What is "conservation of energy and momentum" in regards to a meteor entering orbit?

Conservation of energy and momentum means that the total energy and momentum of the meteor and the sun remain the same before and after the meteor enters orbit. This is because the force of gravity acting on the meteor is balanced by the centripetal force needed to keep the meteor in orbit.

3. How is algebra used to study a meteor entering orbit?

Algebra is used to study the trajectory and speed of a meteor entering orbit. The equations for conservation of energy and momentum involve algebraic expressions for the forces and variables involved, such as mass, velocity, and distance.

4. Can the energy and momentum of a meteor entering orbit change?

The energy and momentum of a meteor entering orbit can change if there are external forces acting on the meteor, such as collisions with other objects in space. However, as long as the meteor remains in orbit, the total energy and momentum will remain constant.

5. What factors affect the path of a meteor entering orbit?

The path of a meteor entering orbit is affected by the mass and velocity of the meteor, as well as the mass and distance of the sun. Other factors that can influence the path include the presence of other objects in space and external forces acting on the meteor.