How Do You Calculate a 2D Null Geodesic in the Presence of a Gravitational Mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of solving the null geodesic between two points in a 2D flat plane, taking into account the presence of a gravitational mass. The known variables include the x and y coordinates of the two points and of the gravitational mass, as well as the mass of the gravitational body. The goal is to find a simple equation for the curve of the null geodesic that can be used in a basic computer simulation. The person asking for help also mentions that a time coordinate and the metric (line element) need to be taken into account for a complete solution. They also mention that a solution involving integrals and derivatives would be too complicated for their purposes.
haytil
I am interested in solving the null geodesic between two points in the presence of a gravitational mass, assuming that everything takes place in 2 dimensions (i.e., no Z coordinate). The following is known:

-x and y coordinates of first point
-x and y coordinates of second point
-x and y coordinates of gravitational mass
-mass of gravitational body

I need an equation describing the curve of the null geodesic. The purpose of this is for use in a basic computer simulation I'm toying around with, so a basic function with the above variables for input would be very helpful - integrals and derivatives, not so much.

So I am hoping for a solution relating x and y in a 2D flat plane (since that's easiest to represent on a computer screen)

Is there a simple solution that can work in the general case, given the above inputs (or at least an approximation, up to only a few orders in x or y)? If the solution is not so simple (i.e., integrals and derivatives), is there at least just one solution that I could solve with not too much effort?

I hope I've provided enough to describe my problem - feel free to ask more if I haven't.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a time coordinate, because gravity curves spacetime. After you have time, and the metric (line element), set the line element to zero for a null geodesic. Maybe you need some other steps too, but it's roughly like this.

The null geodesics (photon orbits) of the Schwarzshild solution can be found in Woodhouse's notes: http://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/~nwoodh/gr/ .

Last edited by a moderator:

The null geodesic between two points in the presence of a gravitational mass can be described by the following equation:

x(t) = x0 + (x1-x0)e^(2GMt/c^2)/d
y(t) = y0 + (y1-y0)e^(2GMt/c^2)/d

Where:
x0 and y0 are the coordinates of the first point
x1 and y1 are the coordinates of the second point
GM is the product of the gravitational constant and the mass of the gravitational body
c is the speed of light
t is the time parameter
d is the distance between the two points

This equation can be derived from the null geodesic equation in general relativity, which takes into account the curvature of spacetime caused by the gravitational mass. However, since you are only interested in 2 dimensions and a flat plane, this equation provides a simplified solution.

To use this equation in your computer simulation, you can simply input the values for x0, y0, x1, y1, GM, c, and d, and then calculate the values of x and y for different values of t. This will give you a curve that represents the null geodesic between the two points in the 2D plane.

If you are interested in a more precise solution, you can use numerical methods to approximate the solution to a desired degree of accuracy. However, this may require more complex calculations involving integrals and derivatives.

Overall, this equation should provide a simple and straightforward solution for your simulation, with the ability to adjust the accuracy by changing the values of t. I hope this helps and feel free to ask for more clarification if needed.

1. What is a 2D null geodesic solution?

A 2D null geodesic solution is a mathematical solution that describes the path of a particle in a 2-dimensional space-time that follows a null geodesic, meaning the particle is moving at the speed of light.

2. What is the significance of a 2D null geodesic solution in science?

2D null geodesic solutions are important in understanding the behavior of particles in a 2-dimensional space-time, particularly in theories of relativity and gravitational fields.

3. How is a 2D null geodesic solution different from a 2D geodesic solution?

A 2D null geodesic solution is a special case of a 2D geodesic solution, where the particle is moving at the speed of light. In a 2D geodesic solution, the particle can have any velocity.

4. Can a 2D null geodesic solution be applied to real-world scenarios?

Yes, 2D null geodesic solutions have been used to model the motion of particles in space-time near massive objects, such as black holes.

5. What are some limitations of using a 2D null geodesic solution?

One limitation is that it only applies to particles moving at the speed of light, and cannot be used to describe the motion of slower-moving particles. Additionally, it is a simplified model and may not accurately describe all aspects of real-world scenarios.