Energy minimization (level set)

In summary, we can obtain the gradient flow equation (II) from the energy functional (I) by taking the functional derivative of (I) with respect to \phi and using the properties of the Dirac delta and Heaviside functions. I hope this helps clarify the process for you. Let me know if you have any other questions.
pepe34
Hi
Does anyone know what calculations should be used to minimize an energy functional (level set and active contour method):

[itex]E(\phi)=\mu\int p(|grad(\phi)|)dx+\lambda\int g\delta(\phi)|grad(\phi)|dx+\alpha \int gH(-\phi)dx[/itex] (I)

According to Chunming Li and Chenyang Xu "Distance Regularized Level Set Evolution and Its Application to Image Segmentation" this energy functional can be minimized by solving the gradient flow equation:

[itex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}=\mu div(dp(|grad(\phi)|)grad(\phi))+\lambda\delta (\phi)div(g\frac{grad(\phi)}{|grad(\phi)|})+\alpha g \delta (\phi)[/itex] (II)

But how to obtain (II) from (I) ?

[itex]\delta[/itex] is a Dirac delta function

[itex]H[/itex] is a Heavside function, and

[itex]dp(x)=\frac{p'(x)}{x}[/itex]

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. I am familiar with the concept of energy minimization in various fields, including image segmentation. The energy functional (I) that you have provided is commonly used in level set and active contour methods for image segmentation. In order to obtain the gradient flow equation (II) from (I), we need to take the functional derivative of (I) with respect to \phi. This can be done using the calculus of variations.

First, let's define the functional derivative of (I) as:

\frac{\delta E}{\delta \phi}=\frac{\partial E}{\partial \phi}-\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial E}{\partial \phi'}+\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\frac{\partial E}{\partial \phi''}+...

where \phi' and \phi'' are the first and second derivatives of \phi with respect to x, respectively.

Now, taking the functional derivative of (I) with respect to \phi, we get:

\frac{\delta E}{\delta \phi}=\mu p'(|grad(\phi)|)|grad(\phi)|+ \lambda g \delta(\phi)\frac{grad(\phi)}{|grad(\phi)|}+\alpha gH(-\phi)

Next, we use the fact that \delta(\phi)=\frac{dH(\phi)}{d\phi} to rewrite the second term in the above equation as:

\lambda g\frac{dH(\phi)}{d\phi}\frac{grad(\phi)}{|grad(\phi)|}

Using the chain rule, we can simplify this term as:

\lambda gH'(\phi)\frac{grad(\phi)}{|grad(\phi)|}

Now, we can substitute this back into the functional derivative and rearrange terms to get:

\frac{\delta E}{\delta \phi}=\mu p'(|grad(\phi)|)|grad(\phi)|+\lambda gH'(\phi)\frac{grad(\phi)}{|grad(\phi)|}+\alpha gH(-\phi)

Finally, we can use the fact that \frac{\delta E}{\delta \phi}=-\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} to get the gradient flow equation (II) as:

\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}=\mu div(dp

What is energy minimization in level set?

Energy minimization in level set is a mathematical approach used to find the optimal shape or boundary of an object in an image. It involves minimizing the energy functional, which is a function that measures the difference between the actual object boundary and the estimated boundary.

How does energy minimization work in level set?

In energy minimization, a level set function is used to represent the object boundary. The energy functional is then minimized by updating the level set function iteratively until it reaches the minimum. This is achieved by using partial differential equations to evolve the level set function towards the optimal boundary.

What are the advantages of using energy minimization in level set?

Energy minimization in level set allows for more flexibility in finding object boundaries compared to traditional methods. It can handle complex shapes and topological changes, such as merging and splitting of objects. It is also less susceptible to noise and can handle partial or incomplete object boundaries.

What are the limitations of energy minimization in level set?

One limitation of energy minimization in level set is that it can be computationally expensive, especially for large images or complex objects. It also requires careful selection of parameters and may not always converge to the optimal solution. Additionally, it may not be suitable for objects with sharp corners or edges.

What are some applications of energy minimization in level set?

Energy minimization in level set has various applications in image processing, computer vision, and medical imaging. It is commonly used in image segmentation, object tracking, shape reconstruction, and boundary detection. It has also been applied in medical imaging for organ segmentation and tumor detection.