Differentiation of functional integral (Blundell Quantum field theory)

Plantation
Homework Statement
$$G_0(x,y) = \frac{\int \mathcal{D}\phi \phi(x) \phi(y) e^{i\int d^4 x \mathcal{L}_0[ \phi]}}{\int \mathcal{D}\phi e^{i \int d^4x \mathcal{L}_0[\phi]}}$$
Relevant Equations
$$ G^{(n)}_0 ( x_1, \dots ,x_n) = \frac{1}{i^n} \frac{\delta^n \bar{Z}_0 [J]}{\delta J(x_1) \dots \delta J(x_n)}|_{J=0}
= \frac{1}{i^n}\frac{1}{Z_0[J=0]}\frac{1}{i^n} \frac{\delta^n Z_0 [J]}{\delta J(x_1) \dots \delta J(x_n)}|_{J=0}$$
I am reading the Lancaster & Blundell, Quantum field theory for gifted amateur, p.225 and stuck at understanding some derivations.

We will calculate a generating functional for the free scalar field. The free Lagrangian is given by

$$ \mathcal{L}_0 = \frac{1}{2}(\partial _\mu \phi)^2 - \frac{m^2}{2}\phi^2. \tag{24.9}$$

And in the p.224, he get expression for normalized generating functional for the free scalar field as

$$ \bar{Z}_0[J] = \frac{ \int \mathcal{D} \phi e^{\frac{i}{2} \int d^4 x \phi \{ - ( \partial^2 + m^2) \} \phi + i \int d^4x J \phi }}{\int \mathcal{D} \phi e^{\frac{i}{2} \int d^4 x \phi \{ - ( \partial^2 + m^2)\} \phi} } = e^{- \frac{1}{2} \int d^4x d^4 y J(x) \Delta(x-y)J(y)} \tag{24.17} $$

Here, ##\Delta(x,y)=\Delta(x-y)## is the free Feynman propagator (C.f. their book (17.24) (p.159) )

In the page 225, he saids that " Specifically we have for free fields that the propagator is given, in terms of the normalized generating functional, by (C.f. their book (22.8) )

$$ G^{(n)}_0 ( x_1, \dots ,x_n) = \frac{1}{i^n} \frac{\delta^n \bar{Z}_0 [J]}{\delta J(x_1) \dots \delta J(x_n)}|_{J=0}
= \frac{1}{i^n}\frac{1}{Z_0[J=0]}\frac{1}{i^n} \frac{\delta^n Z_0 [J]}{\delta J(x_1) \dots \delta J(x_n)}|_{J=0} \tag{24.20}$$"

, where ##G^(n)(x_1, \dots x_n)## is the Green's function.

And next, he saids

"We'll evaluate this in two different ways for the single-particle propagator ##G_0(x,y)##. Differentiating the expression for the functional integral ##\bar{Z}_0[J]## with respect to the ##J##'s gives us

$$G_0(x,y) = \frac{\int \mathcal{D}\phi \phi(x) \phi(y) e^{i\int d^4 x \mathcal{L}_0[ \phi]}}{\int \mathcal{D}\phi e^{i \int d^4x \mathcal{L}_0[\phi]}} \tag{24.21}$$

while differentiating the expression for the normalized generating functional ##\bar{Z}_0[J] = e^{- \frac{1}{2} \int d^4x d^4 y J(x) \Delta(x,y)J(y)} ## ( C.f. their book (24.17) )gives us the expected answer ##G_0(x,y) = \Delta(x,y) ##."

And why these two statements are true? I've been trying to calculate these formulas continuously by brutal force differentiation but I don't know how to perform differentiation exactly at all. What should I note to make calculations easier? Can anyone give me a hint or helps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you read Sec. 1.3?

1. What is the concept of functional integral in quantum field theory?

The functional integral is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability of a particle or system to undergo a certain change or transition. It involves integrating over all possible paths or configurations of the system, taking into account the contributions of all possible intermediate states.

2. How is differentiation applied in functional integrals?

In functional integrals, differentiation is used to calculate the change in the probability of a system as a function of a particular variable, such as time or energy. This allows us to study how the system evolves over time or under different conditions.

3. What is the significance of differentiation in quantum field theory?

Differentiation is a crucial tool in quantum field theory as it allows us to understand the behavior of particles and systems at a fundamental level. It helps us to calculate important quantities such as transition probabilities and correlation functions, which are essential in understanding the dynamics of quantum systems.

4. What are some applications of differentiation of functional integrals in quantum field theory?

Differentiation of functional integrals is used in various areas of quantum field theory, such as in the study of quantum electrodynamics, quantum chromodynamics, and the standard model of particle physics. It is also used in condensed matter physics, where it helps to understand the behavior of complex systems such as superconductors and superfluids.

5. Are there any challenges associated with differentiation of functional integrals?

Yes, there are several challenges associated with differentiation of functional integrals, such as dealing with divergent integrals and ensuring the mathematical rigor of the calculations. Additionally, the use of numerical methods is often necessary due to the complexity of the integrals involved, which can be computationally expensive.