Solving Rotational Motion: 4kg Disk & 4.0kg + 8.0kg Masses

In summary, a disk with a mass of 4kg and a .20m radius is attached to a 4.0kg and an 8.0kg mass by a massless string. Using the formula for angular acceleration, the tangential acceleration of the heavier block was found and used to calculate the tangential velocity after 2 seconds. With the tangential velocity, the angular velocity was found to be 28 rads/sec. This is a fast speed for the given masses. The solution was found by using the equation for kinetic energy and potential energy.
Mugen112

Homework Statement

A disk with a mass of 4kg and a .20m radius is free to rotate about a horizontal axis. A 4.0kg mass and a 8.0kg mass are attached by a massless string, which is hung over the disk. If the string does not slip, what is the angular velocity of the disk after 2 seconds?

Homework Equations

Angular acceleration = change in angular velocity/change in time
I= 1/2mr^2
Angular velocity= tangential velocity/radius

The Attempt at a Solution

I took a picture of my work. It looks like I did everything right, but I'm not sure. I thought I would use inertia in my problem solving, but I didn't need it?? All I did was, I found the acceleration of the heavier block using the formula in the picture (which includes the mass of the disk). I took that acceleration, which should equal the tangential acceleration, and found the tangential velocity after 2 seconds. With the tangential velocity, I found the angular velocity using the radius of the disk shown in the picture. Found it to be 28 rads/sec which is about 44 revolutions per second. I think this would be pretty fast when dealing with only 4 and 8kg weights... Is this correct? If you can't make something out in the picture, let me know. THANKS!

2979978092_ab59a29d50_o.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mugen112! :smile:

I don't follow what you've done … I particularly don't follow your T1 - T2 equation … you would need torque = rate of change of angular momentum.

But why bother to find T1 and T2 when the question doesn't ask for them?

Just use KE + PE = constant. :smile:

I figured it out! Thanks for the help!

1. How do I calculate the moment of inertia for the 4kg disk?

The moment of inertia for a disk can be calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the disk and r is the radius. In this case, the moment of inertia for the 4kg disk would be 1/2 * 4kg * r^2.

2. What is the net torque on the system?

To calculate the net torque on the system, you would need to first find the individual torques acting on each object. Then, use the formula τ = r * F * sin(θ) to calculate the torque for each object. Finally, add all the individual torques together to get the net torque on the system.

3. How do I find the angular acceleration of the system?

The angular acceleration of the system can be found using the formula α = τ / I, where τ is the net torque on the system and I is the moment of inertia. Plug in the values for τ and I to calculate the angular acceleration.

4. Can I use the equations for linear motion to solve this problem?

No, rotational motion and linear motion are two separate types of motion and require different equations to solve. The equations for linear motion cannot be directly applied to rotational motion.

5. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed point, while linear velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.