Fresnel equations and energy ratios

In summary, the reflectivity and transmissivity coefficients are calculated by neglecting the interference of the incident and reflected waves.
becko
I'm having trouble understanding the reflectivity and transmissivity (the ratios of energy reflected and transmitted through a boundary separating different media).

Since energy is proportional to the square of the field, if you have a superposition of two fields at a point, to obtain the energy density at that place you cannot just sum the energies of the separate fields. You have to sum the fields and then square the total field.

So my problem is that to calculate the total energy that enters a patch of boundary, on the media of the incident wave, there are two fields, the incident and the reflected. Yet somehow everywhere I look they separate the energies, as the incident energy and the reflected energies, and then assume that the total energy entering the patch is the sum (incident energy - reflected energy) (with a minus sign because the reflected energy goes away from the patch). I don't understand this. Can someone help me here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the waves are going in opposite directions, they don't interfere, so taking the difference of the energies is appropriate.

As far as I know, the reflected and incident waves do interfere. In fact, at normal incidence, with light polarized perpendicular to the plane of incidence, if the index of refraction of the second media is large enough, the reflected wave will almost annihilate the incident wave.

So back to my question, what is the logic of neglecting this interference in deriving reflectivity and transmissivity coefficients?

Shouldn't one take into account that there are two fields in the first media, the incident and the reflected?

I think one should use Poynting formula on the sum of the two waves, instead of calculating the Poynting vector of each field separately, which is what I see is done to calculate the reflectivity.

If you take (E+E')X(B+B').n (where n is the normal to the plane), the cross terms cancel.

Last edited:
You're right ! . The cross terms do cancel in the component normal to the boundary plane. Thanks !

What are Fresnel equations?

Fresnel equations are mathematical formulas that describe the reflection and transmission of light at the interface between two materials with different refractive indices.

What are energy ratios in Fresnel equations?

Energy ratios in Fresnel equations refer to the ratio of incident light energy to reflected or transmitted light energy at the interface between two materials. These ratios are important in understanding the behavior of light at the interface.

How are Fresnel equations used in optics?

Fresnel equations are used in optics to predict the amount of light that will be reflected or transmitted at an interface between two materials. They can also be used to determine the polarization and phase changes of light at the interface.

What factors affect the energy ratios in Fresnel equations?

The energy ratios in Fresnel equations are affected by the angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the materials, and the polarization of the incident light. The reflectivity and transmissivity can also be influenced by the wavelength of the incident light.

Can Fresnel equations be applied to other types of waves besides light?

Yes, Fresnel equations can be applied to other types of waves, such as sound waves or water waves, as long as the materials have different refractive indices. However, the equations may need to be modified to account for the different properties of these waves.