Do engineering classes go towards a physics degree

In summary, engineering classes can count towards a physics degree, but it depends on the specific course and institution. Some engineering courses may have a strong focus on physics, making them eligible for credit towards a physics degree. However, other engineering courses may not align closely enough with physics to be applicable. It is important for students to consult with their academic advisors to determine which engineering courses can count towards their physics degree requirements.
cj2222
I am in a program at a community college to get my associates in engineering. I was thinking about changing my major to physics but they don't have a physics program. i was wondering if i could put the classes i take for the associates in engineering towards a bachelors degree in physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to check at the university you intend on transferring to. It will depend a lot on the program you transfer into. Some physics programs, like engineering physics at the school I'm going to, allow you to use a lot of engineering classes as technical electives. Some programs may not. You can check here as well:

https://www.transfer.org/uselect/login.htm

If you don't know where you will transfer you can compare your classes to several different schools (assuming your school supports that site).

In my case, I just contacted the physics department at the school I want to transfer to: http://www.physics.qc.edu/information.php

I just E-mailed the person in charge of transfer credit evaluation, and now my worries are over. Also, it depends on the CC you go to since sometimes there may be sites that can evaluate your transfer credits for you. In my case, since I go to QCC which is in the CUNY system, I just visited http://tipps.cuny.edu/ Other school systems may offer a similar online service which evaluates transfer credits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Do engineering classes go towards a physics degree

1. Can engineering classes count towards a physics degree?

Yes, many engineering classes can count towards a physics degree. However, it depends on the specific courses and requirements of the university or program you are enrolled in.

2. How many engineering classes can I take for a physics degree?

This varies depending on the university or program, but typically a student can take a certain number of engineering courses as electives towards their physics degree. It is important to check with your academic advisor to determine the specific requirements and limitations.

3. Do engineering classes have the same credit value as physics classes for a physics degree?

This also depends on the university or program. Some engineering classes may have the same credit value as physics classes, while others may have a different credit value. It is important to check with your advisor to determine how the credits will count towards your degree.

4. Can engineering classes fulfill specific physics degree requirements?

In some cases, engineering classes may fulfill certain requirements for a physics degree, such as a specific physics or math course. However, it is important to check with your advisor to ensure that the engineering class you are considering will fulfill the specific requirement you need.

5. Can I take engineering classes as part of a double major in physics and engineering?

Yes, many universities offer the option for students to pursue a double major in physics and engineering. In this case, engineering classes would count towards both degrees and fulfill requirements for both majors. However, it is important to carefully plan your course schedule to ensure that all requirements for both majors are met.