IT certifications vs IT degree only?

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter KamenRiderTorbjorn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, an IT certification is earned by passing an exam or completing a training course, while an IT degree is a formal education program that takes several years to complete. The value of each in the job market depends on the specific job and employer. It is possible to have both an IT certification and an IT degree, and certifications are recognized by employers as a way to demonstrate expertise. Generally, IT certifications are more cost-effective than an IT degree, but the value may vary depending on the industry and job market.
KamenRiderTorbjorn
So I decided to go back to community college nearby and enroll in this IT associate degree program. However, I'm wondering is a associate degree good enough to get my foot in the door or should I do certs? By the way I don't have any IT experience.

Physics news on Phys.org
"IT" is a very broad term. What is your goal? Some positions require specific certifications; some do not.

1. What is the difference between an IT certification and an IT degree?

An IT certification is a credential that is earned by passing an exam or completing a specific training program, typically offered by a vendor or industry organization. On the other hand, an IT degree is a formal education program offered by a college or university that covers a wide range of topics related to information technology.

2. Which one is more valuable in terms of career advancement?

This depends on the specific job role and career path. In some cases, an IT certification may be more valuable as it demonstrates a specific skill set or expertise in a particular technology. However, for more senior and managerial roles, an IT degree may be preferred as it provides a broader understanding of IT concepts and principles.

3. Are IT certifications and IT degrees equally recognized by employers?

It varies from employer to employer. Some may value IT certifications more as they demonstrate practical skills and knowledge, while others may prefer candidates with a formal education background. Ultimately, both IT certifications and IT degrees can be valuable and recognized by employers.

4. Is it necessary to have both an IT certification and an IT degree?

No, it is not necessary to have both. It ultimately depends on your career goals and the specific job requirements. If you are interested in a specific technology or job role, an IT certification may be more beneficial. However, if you want a well-rounded understanding of IT concepts and principles, an IT degree may be a better choice.

5. Can an IT certification substitute for an IT degree?

In most cases, no. An IT certification typically focuses on a specific technology or skill set, while an IT degree covers a broader range of topics. However, for certain job roles or industries, an IT certification may be sufficient. It is important to research the specific job requirements and industry standards before deciding between an IT certification and an IT degree.