Looking for AutoCAD Courses Online to Boost My Skills?

In summary, the recent electrical engineering graduate is looking for online courses to demonstrate that they have some experience with AutoCAD. They are from Alberta, Canada, and suggest freecad as a possible resource.
ElecEng2010
Hey guys,

I'm a recent new grad in Electrical Engineering, I have an interview with a company that requires some autocad experience, though mine is very limited (basically none). They are aware of this and still invited me to the interview, but I want to show initiative and demonstrate that I have found AutoCad courses available online that I am willing to complete while simultaneously working. I haven't found much, any ideas?

I live in Alberta, Canada...

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are looking for AutoCAD courses online, I assume you have a copy of AutoCAD. If not, local technical colleges (or the Canadian equivilant) will do CAD courses.

To be honest if you have acess to a copy just learn my playing with it. If you've done any drafting work before the interface will become second nature.

I've never really done any drafting work, I don't have a copy of AutoCad yet. Reason I'm asking for online courses is that if I do get this job I will most likely not have the option of pursuing this courses through a technical school while working, which is why I would like to explore the option of learning through correspondence.

Regards,

To do the learn online you generally need a your own copy of AutoCAD. If you are still a student I think Autodesk may still do free 12 month licenses for AutoCAD/ ACAD LT.

(I know you say you recently graduated, but if you still have an active university email address that's all you need, if it's been deactivated then bad luck).

Try something like freecad, it's all basically the same.

There is a school in Alberta, Athabasca University known for distance education. You probably know of it. My program has articulation agreements with it that's how I know of it. Not sure if they have online CAD courses tho.

Like Chris said above you can obtain student copies through your school, I was using one for a while. So if you get registered for a course you should be able get a student copy.

This is my 3rd summer now working a job where CAD has been about 25% of my duties. I have learned most of it on the job as I find the inclass courses boring. There are all kinds of cad forums that will come up by simply "googling" what your trying to do. Youtube can be helpful to for CAD demos.

Good luck with the interview!

1. What is Autocad?

Autocad is a computer-aided design (CAD) software used for creating 2D and 3D designs, models, and drawings. It is commonly used in industries such as architecture, engineering, and construction.

2. Why should I take an Autocad course online?

Taking an Autocad course online allows you to learn at your own pace and convenience. It also gives you access to a wide range of resources and support from experienced instructors. Additionally, online courses are often more affordable than in-person classes.

3. What will I learn in an Autocad course online?

In an Autocad course online, you will learn how to use the software to create 2D and 3D designs, navigate the interface, use tools and commands, and create professional-looking drawings. You will also learn about industry standards and best practices for using Autocad.

4. Do I need any prior experience to take an Autocad course online?

No, you do not need any prior experience to take an Autocad course online. However, having a basic understanding of computer software and design concepts may be helpful.

5. Are Autocad courses online accredited?

Yes, there are accredited Autocad courses online offered by reputable institutions and organizations. It is important to do your research and ensure that the course you choose is accredited and recognized by industry professionals.