Solving Heat Transfer Problem with Geo-Thermal Energy

In summary: All of this can be mitigated through design of the heat exchanger and the surrounding soil, but that is the point, it is a dynamic system.In summary, the speaker is trying to design a cooling system that uses geo-thermal energy to cool water. They are researching the temperature 12 feet below the Earth in August and want to find the best material to maximize heat dissipation. They also want to create a mathematical equation to determine the temperature of the water at a given time. They are aware of two formulas but are unsure of how to approach the problem and are seeking advice.
JonathanM
Hi,
I am currently faced with a problem. I am trying to design a cooling system that uses Geo-Thermal energy to cool water. From my research I have found that 12 feet below the Earth in the month of August the temperature is maintained at approximately 62-65 degrees Fahrenheit.

I would like to utilize this natural energy to cool water. Right now I am trying to determine the best type of material that can be placed 12 feet below the surface of the Earth to maximize heat dissipation from the water into the soil.

My goal is to come up with the right material to achieve timely cooling (I am thinking of using PVC its thermal conduction is low but on the upside it does not rot or corrode).

Secondly I would like to come up with a mathematical equation for the system, so that I can tell exactly what the temperature of the water would be at a given time (here is where I am having difficulties)

At the moment I am aware of 2 formulas

1) Newtons law of cooling: T(t) = Ta + (To - Ta)*e^(-kt)

2) Conduction Law: Q = [(K)(A)(Tw-Tc)(t)]/L

Where K = thermal conductance of material; units : J/(s m degree Celsius)
A = Cross sectional Area; units : m^2
Tw = Warm temperature
Tc = Cool temperature
t = time in seconds
L = length; units: m

The first formula will give me the temperature at a given time however I would need to determine the time constant "k" for the material that I am using (not sure how to to that unless I do a physical test first to find values for T(t), Ta, To and t then solve for k).

The seconds formula gives me the amount of heat transferred in Joules (how does heat transferred in joules correlate to temperature transferred?)

I would appreciate some advice because I feel I am not quite understanding the dynamics of how to approach this problem or even if I am using the right formulas to do so.

Thanks
J

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ummmm...he is trying to cool the water. Sooooo he is heating the earth...why would it freeze?

your problem is that it is dynamic... First, you are heating the soil, this requires knowing the rate of recovery of the soil,, (the heat transfer rate of your plumbing is insignificant by comparison, although copper is best). The variables here are, conductivity, Exposed surface area, water saturation and rate of replenishment (this is where experimentation is your best option..).

jerrybault said:
Ummmm...he is trying to cool the water. Sooooo he is heating the earth...why would it freeze?

Sorry, I was thinking about a heat pump system, in the winter. The point I attempted to make is that the local volume of Earth you are heating is limited, and once you heat it up too much, that volume will need to cool back down before you can get the same cooling performance as at initial conditions. You not only lose the delta Temp needed to get your heat transfered, but you have to rely on conduction of heat in the soil, which is slow.

1. How does geo-thermal energy work to solve heat transfer problems?

Geo-thermal energy works by harnessing the heat from the Earth's core, which is a constant source of energy. This heat is transferred to the surface through conduction and convection, and can be used to heat or cool buildings, water, or other materials.

2. What are the benefits of using geo-thermal energy for heat transfer?

There are several benefits to using geo-thermal energy for heat transfer. It is a renewable and sustainable energy source that produces no greenhouse gas emissions. It also has a low operating cost, as the Earth's heat is essentially free. Additionally, geo-thermal systems have a long lifespan and require minimal maintenance.

3. Can geo-thermal energy be used in any location?

Geo-thermal energy can be used in most locations, but it is most effective in areas with high geothermal activity, such as near volcanoes or hot springs. However, even in areas with low geothermal activity, geo-thermal energy can still be utilized with the use of deep drilling techniques.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges to using geo-thermal energy for heat transfer?

One limitation of geo-thermal energy is that it may not be suitable for all types of heat transfer problems. For example, it may not be as effective for large-scale industrial processes compared to traditional fossil fuels. Additionally, the initial installation cost for a geo-thermal system can be high, which may be a barrier for some individuals or organizations.

5. How can we optimize the use of geo-thermal energy for heat transfer?

To optimize the use of geo-thermal energy for heat transfer, it is important to carefully design and size the system based on the specific needs and conditions of the location. This may involve conducting a thorough site assessment and using advanced technologies to increase efficiency. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the system can also help to ensure its optimal performance.