Understanding Proper Time and Arc-Length in GR Geodesic Curves

• Thread starter TrickyDicky
  • Start date
In summary, the proper time elapsed along a timelike geodesic in GR can be considered as an arc-length parameterization of the geodesic curve. However, this terminology is not commonly used and it is more common for people to refer to it as being "parametrized by proper time." This parametrization also works for spacelike curves, but not for lightlike curves. In order to determine the curvature, knowledge of the metric tensor and torsion is required. Furthermore, knowing the proper time elapsed along all timelike geodesics may not be enough to reconstruct the full metric tensor, as it does not take into account spacelike or lightlike geodesics.
TrickyDicky
The proper time elapsed between two points in a timelike geodesic in GR is the arc-length of this curve segment.
Does this mean that we have an arc-length parameterization of the geodesic curve, with [itex]\tau[/itex] (proper time) as the parameter?

Physics news on Phys.org
TrickyDicky said:
Does this mean that we have an arc-length parameterization of the geodesic curve, with [itex]\tau[/itex] (proper time) as the parameter?

This seems to be a question about terminology. I don't think it's common to hear people refer to this as "arc-length parametrization," but it is certainly closely analogous. I think it's more common for people to use phrases like "parametrized by proper time."

Note that this also works for spacelike curves, but in the case of lightlike curves it doesn't, so you have to use some other affine parameter rather than the one defined by the metric.

bcrowell said:
This seems to be a question about terminology. I don't think it's common to hear people refer to this as "arc-length parametrization," but it is certainly closely analogous. I think it's more common for people to use phrases like "parametrized by proper time."
I'm not sure if it is very commonly used, but it is in any (or most) calculus book(s).
What I wanted to stress is that timelike geodesics, if we want to abstract from an ambient higher dimension, can be parametrized by arc-length, which is a natural, intrinsic parametrization that all smooth curves admit. In this specific case (timelike geodesics) this parametrization by proper time, also reflects the intrinsic curvature of the manifold, right?
bcrowell said:
Note that this also works for spacelike curves, but in the case of lightlike curves it doesn't, so you have to use some other affine parameter rather than the one defined by the metric.
I should have specified I'm referring to physical particles paths, so it doesn't work for spacelike geodesics either.

TrickyDicky said:
I'm not sure if it is very commonly used, but it is in any (or most) calculus book(s).
What I wanted to stress is that timelike geodesics, if we want to abstract from an ambient higher dimension, can be parametrized by arc-length, which is a natural, intrinsic parametrization that all smooth curves admit.

Careful here. As bcrowell mentioned, not all smooth curves admit an arc-length parametrization. Lightlike curves have zero arc-length, and so they must be parametrized by something else. This is a funny consequence of Lorentzian signature; in Euclidean signature, your statement is correct.

In this specific case (timelike geodesics) this parametrization by proper time, also reflects the intrinsic curvature of the manifold, right?

The proper time elapsed along a single curve is not enough information to give you the curvature, if that's what you mean.

If you know the proper time elapsed along the collection of all curves in some open region U, then this is equivalent to knowing the metric tensor in U. However, in order to get the curvature, you must also know the torsion...that is, you need to know about parallel transport; not just proper time. (If we assume the torsion is zero, then the metric is sufficient to give us the curvature).

I should have specified I'm referring to physical particles paths, so it doesn't work for spacelike geodesics either.

Are you interested in geodesics specifically, or general curves? Anyway, a spacelike curve doesn't have a proper time, but it does have a proper length, which is a perfectly fine parameter.

TrickyDicky said:
bcrowell said:
I meant it's not common to hear people refer to it in relativity as "arc-length parametrization."

Ben Niehoff said:
Careful here. As bcrowell mentioned, not all smooth curves admit an arc-length parametrization. Lightlike curves have zero arc-length, and so they must be parametrized by something else. This is a funny consequence of Lorentzian signature; in Euclidean signature, your statement is correct.
I'm trying to be as careful as I can, that is why I constrained my statement to material particle's paths.
Ben Niehoff said:
The proper time elapsed along a single curve is not enough information to give you the curvature, if that's what you mean.

If you know the proper time elapsed along the collection of all curves in some open region U, then this is equivalent to knowing the metric tensor in U. However, in order to get the curvature, you must also know the torsion...that is, you need to know about parallel transport; not just proper time. (If we assume the torsion is zero, then the metric is sufficient to give us the curvature).
Since I'm trying to understand the GR scenario, torsion is assumed to be vanishing when I refer to the specific case of a timelike geodesic. In this case, being the single curve a geodesic, isn't it enough to have the geodesic parametric equations to know its metric and thus the curvature, given the fact that precisely the metric defines the geodesic?
Ben Niehoff said:
Are you interested in geodesics specifically, or general curves? Anyway, a spacelike curve doesn't have a proper time, but it does have a proper length, which is a perfectly fine parameter.
For now, I'm interested just in understanding the timelike geodesics case.

bcrowell said:
I meant it's not common to hear people refer to it in relativity as "arc-length parametrization."

Agreed.

OK, so assuming zero torsion: If you know the proper time elapsed along all timelike geodesics, I'm not sure if this is actually enough information to reconstruct the full metric tensor, since you don't know anything about spacelike or lightlike geodesics.

The answer depends on whether you can use your knowledge of timelike geodesics to work out the spacelike geodesics using some kind of clever construction (Schild's ladder, maybe?). I couldn't say off the top of my head whether it works.

Ben Niehoff said:
The answer depends on whether you can use your knowledge of timelike geodesics to work out the spacelike geodesics using some kind of clever construction (Schild's ladder, maybe?). I couldn't say off the top of my head whether it works.
Do they need to be worked out? What particle's path corresponds to spacelike geodesics?

Ben Niehoff said:
OK, so assuming zero torsion: If you know the proper time elapsed along all timelike geodesics, I'm not sure if this is actually enough information to reconstruct the full metric tensor, since you don't know anything about spacelike or lightlike geodesics.

Working in the other direction, knowing the lightlike geodesics isn't enough to determine the metric, because that just fixes everything up to a conformal factor. But if you know the lightlike geodesics and also some local proper times, then the proper times can be used to fix the conformal factor and you can find the metric. In other words, you need both light-cones and a clock in order to fix the metric.

So it seems to me that knowing all proper times along all timelike geodesics certainly suffices. If you know the set of all timelike geodesics, then you certainly know the set of lightlike geodesics, since those are in some sense the boundary of the set of timelike ones. Therefore you know the lightlike geodesics and you have information that fixes the conformal factor, and we know that's sufficient to fix the metric.

bcrowell said:
Working in the other direction, knowing the lightlike geodesics isn't enough to determine the metric, because that just fixes everything up to a conformal factor. But if you know the lightlike geodesics and also some local proper times, then the proper times can be used to fix the conformal factor and you can find the metric. In other words, you need both light-cones and a clock in order to fix the metric.

So it seems to me that knowing all proper times along all timelike geodesics certainly suffices. If you know the set of all timelike geodesics, then you certainly know the set of lightlike geodesics, since those are in some sense the boundary of the set of timelike ones. Therefore you know the lightlike geodesics and you have information that fixes the conformal factor, and we know that's sufficient to fix the metric.

This is pretty much along the lines of what I had in mind when I started this thread. I must say though, that I was not sure at all this is right (I'm not yet) and I wanted to make sure.

bcrowell said:
If you know the set of all timelike geodesics, then you certainly know the set of lightlike geodesics, since those are in some sense the boundary of the set of timelike ones.
But they are a boundary only if you consider an asymptotically flat universe, that's certainly not the case in FRW cosmologies for instance.

If we know the proper times, how many coordinates are needed to locate a point in a timelike geodesic (the paths of free massive particles)?

anybody?
..I thought this was an easy one.

1. What is proper time in GR geodesic curves?

Proper time is the time experienced by an object in its own frame of reference as it travels along a geodesic curve in general relativity. It is a measure of time that takes into account the effects of gravity and relative motion.

2. How is proper time different from coordinate time in GR geodesic curves?

Coordinate time is the time measured by an observer at a fixed point in space, while proper time is the time measured by an object moving through space. Proper time takes into account the effects of gravity and relative motion, while coordinate time does not.

3. What is arc-length in GR geodesic curves?

Arc-length is a measure of the distance along a geodesic curve in general relativity. It takes into account both space and time, and is used to calculate the length of a curve in spacetime.

4. What is the significance of proper time and arc-length in GR geodesic curves?

Proper time and arc-length are important concepts in general relativity, as they allow us to accurately describe the motion of objects in curved spacetime. They take into account the effects of gravity and relative motion, and are essential for understanding the behavior of objects in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

5. How are proper time and arc-length related to each other in GR geodesic curves?

Proper time and arc-length are closely related, as both take into account the effects of gravity and relative motion on the motion of objects in curved spacetime. Proper time is a measure of time experienced by the object, while arc-length is a measure of the distance traveled by the object along its path. They are both used to accurately describe the motion of objects in general relativity.