Can Equivalence Principle Be Violated?

In summary, McCullock's papers propose a mechanism of inertia that is different from the currently accepted theories. He claims this could enable propellantless propulsion. While the idea is intriguing, it is still largely unproven and there are many questions that need to be answered.
sanman
Read about this experiment and the results obtained:

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-07-gyroscope-unexplained-due-inertia.html

What's going on here? Why is the laser gyro accelerating? If this effect proves to be reproducible, would it not indicate the violability of the so-called Equivalence Principle? How can this be possible?

Is this the inverse of the Unruh effect? Could it enable propellantless propulsion?

Physics news on Phys.org
So far, the effect has only been observed in this one laboratory.
It does not look like sound science to me.

Could it enable propellantless propulsion?
Crackpot idea.

would it not indicate the violability of the so-called Equivalence Principle?
'So-called' ? Crackpot language.

sanman said:

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-07-gyroscope-unexplained-due-inertia.html

What's going on here? Why is the laser gyro accelerating? If this effect proves to be reproducible, would it not indicate the violability of the so-called Equivalence Principle? How can this be possible?

This is quite a strange effect, and the explanation proposed is even weirder. The equivalence of inertial mass and gravitational mass is a key piece in the current theories and especially GR, so I would say that one must have a very very solid case to refute it.
So even if the effect is reproducible, it wouldn't indicate EP violation, since the effect might be better explained some other way.

sanman said:

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-07-gyroscope-unexplained-due-inertia.htmlWhat's going on here? Why is the laser gyro accelerating? If this effect proves to be reproducible, would it not indicate the violability of the so-called Equivalence Principle? How can this be possible?

Is this the inverse of the Unruh effect? Could it enable propellantless propulsion?

The PhysOrg.com article is a bit thin. It is drawn primarily from a paper by M. E. McCullock, Can the Tajmar effect be explained using a modification of inertia? http://iopscience.iop.org/0295-5075/89/1/19001/pdf/0295-5075_89_1_19001.pdf and perhaps to some extent a previous paper also by McCullock, The Tajmar effect from quantised inertia: http://iopscience.iop.org/0295-5075/95/3/39002/pdf/epl_95_3_39002.pdf.

The laser gyroscope experiments were actually performed by Tajmar. McCullock references several of his papers. I don't have copies or links to Tajmar's papers, at this time.

I have only had time for a first read through. McCullock obviously believes he is describing the mechanism of inertia. Though I find his papers interesting, I am yet skeptical. It will take time to digest in a serious way. Having only just become aware of the work and the scope of his claims, including frame dragging, the flyby anomaly, inertia itself and the pioneer anomally.., well for me, it is a lot to consider and integrate.

While the I think the PhysOrg article mentioned the potential to harness inertia should the work prove up, that seems a stretch. On the other hand if he is even just on to something that needs further development and does address the mechanism of inertia, there seems the potential for some exciting times ahead.

Let the sensation die down and I am not sure it will get much serious attention. While it may be exciting to connect so many unexplained or under explained phenomena, it is a bit ambitious.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can the Equivalence Principle be violated?

No, the Equivalence Principle is a fundamental law of physics that has been experimentally verified to a high degree of accuracy. Any violation of this principle would require a major overhaul of our understanding of gravity and the fabric of space-time.

2. What is the Equivalence Principle?

The Equivalence Principle states that the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration. In other words, an observer in a uniform gravitational field cannot tell the difference between being at rest in that field and being in a uniformly accelerating reference frame.

3. Is the Equivalence Principle the same as the Law of Inertia?

No, the Equivalence Principle is often confused with the Law of Inertia, which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The Equivalence Principle goes beyond this, stating that the effects of gravity and acceleration are equivalent.

4. Are there any experimental tests of the Equivalence Principle?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments that have tested the Equivalence Principle, including the classic "feather and hammer" experiment performed by Apollo 15 astronauts on the moon. More recent tests have used precision instruments such as torsion balances and atom interferometers to verify the principle with even greater accuracy.

5. What are the implications of a violation of the Equivalence Principle?

If the Equivalence Principle were found to be violated, it would have major implications for our understanding of gravity and the laws of physics. It could potentially lead to the development of a new theory of gravity that would better explain the observed phenomena. However, as of now, there is no experimental evidence to suggest a violation of this fundamental principle.