Recommended introductory books to Physics?

In summary, the conversation includes a new member joining a forum, asking for book recommendations to get a head start in physics, and receiving advice to focus on understanding mathematics. One recommendation for a book, "The Character of Physical Law" by Feynman, is given. The member follows the advice and finds the book interesting and easy to follow.
The Lobster
Hello!

I recently joined this forum and so far it has been great. I had one question though. I am a freshman in high school and I am really interested in physics, especially cosmology. Although I am taking biology this year, I will take physics next year. I was just wondering which books you would recommend I read to get a head start in physics and to help me understand the basic principles.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry about "getting a head start". It's still early in school for you. Concentrate on understanding your mathematics, because if you have any trouble in understanding the physics at that level it is most likely because you don't understand the maths.

So basically, just focus on doing well in mathematics and understanding it. Maybe read ahead in the textbook if you are already doing well, or ask your teacher for more challenging material.

If you want to read a physics book try Feynman's The Character of Physical Law:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0262560038/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks for the tips qspeechc! I´m doing quite well in my math class so I think I might take your advice and get some harder material. The book looks good as well.
Thanks

I got the book and so far it is really interesting and easy to follow. Thanks again

Hello there!

I am glad to hear that you are interested in physics and cosmology. It's great that you are looking for ways to get a head start and deepen your understanding of the subject. Here are a few books that I would recommend for beginners in physics:

1. "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking - This book is a classic and a great introduction to the world of cosmology and the origins of the universe. It explains complex concepts in a simple and engaging manner.

2. "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene - This book delves into the fascinating world of string theory and how it relates to our understanding of the universe. It's a great read for anyone interested in theoretical physics.

3. "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman - These lectures are considered a must-read for anyone interested in physics. They cover a wide range of topics and provide a solid foundation for understanding the principles of physics.

I would also recommend checking out popular science magazines such as Scientific American and New Scientist, as they often have articles on current developments in physics and cosmology. Additionally, online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare offer free courses and lectures on various physics topics that you can explore.

I hope these recommendations help you on your journey into the world of physics. Enjoy your studies!

1. What are some good introductory books for learning physics?

Some recommended introductory books for learning physics include "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, and "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman.

2. Are there any books that cover both classical and modern physics?

Yes, there are several books that cover both classical and modern physics, such as "Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by John Taylor and Chris Zafiratos, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca.

3. Are there any introductory books specifically for non-science majors?

Yes, there are introductory physics books specifically designed for non-science majors, such as "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by Randall D. Knight.

4. What are some good online resources for introductory physics?

Some good online resources for introductory physics include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. Many universities also have online lecture notes and practice problems available for free.

5. Are there any books that provide a visual approach to learning physics?

Yes, there are several books that use a visual approach to learning physics, such as "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick and Art Huffman, and "The Manga Guide to Physics" by Hideo Nitta, Keita Takatsu, and Co Ltd. Trend Pro.