Piezoelectric effect: calculate change of length of crystal

In summary, in order to accurately determine the required length of the crystal for the piezo-electric precision actuator, further clarification and information is needed.
daskywalker

Homework Statement

A piezo-electric precision actuator is required that produces a displacement (length change) parallel to the crystal z axis of 1.0nm/V. If a commercial type 5H PZT material is available with d33 = 650. pC/N, what length (along the z axis) is needed for the crystal?

Homework Equations

ε_ij=d_kij*E_k

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the length of the crystal as x and try to solve for it. But since I do not know how much voltage is applied at the piezoelectric device my x's just cancel leaving me with 2 numbers that are supposed to be equal but are obviously not.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first clarify some assumptions and gather more information in order to accurately solve this problem. Some questions that come to mind are:

1. What is the purpose of the piezo-electric precision actuator? Is it for a specific experiment or application? This information can help determine the appropriate voltage to use.

2. Is the crystal under any external stress or strain? If so, this can affect the length of the crystal and should be taken into account in the solution.

3. Are there any other materials or components involved in the actuator? This can also affect the voltage and displacement.

Once these questions are answered, I would approach the problem by using the given equations and known values to solve for the unknown length. If more information is needed, I would conduct experiments or simulations to determine the appropriate voltage and length for the actuator. I would also consult with other scientists or experts in the field for their insights and recommendations.

1. What is the piezoelectric effect?

The piezoelectric effect is the ability of certain materials, such as crystals, to generate an electric charge in response to applied mechanical stress or pressure. It is a reversible process, meaning that the material can also deform or change shape when an electric field is applied.

2. How is the change of length of a crystal calculated?

The change of length of a crystal can be calculated using the equation d = L * E, where d is the change in length, L is the piezoelectric coefficient (a material-specific constant), and E is the applied electric field. This equation is based on the direct piezoelectric effect, where an applied electric field causes a change in the crystal's dimensions.

3. What factors affect the change of length in a crystal?

The change of length in a crystal is affected by the strength of the applied electric field, the piezoelectric coefficient of the material, and the crystal's dimensions and orientation. The type and amount of mechanical stress or pressure applied to the crystal can also affect the resulting change in length.

4. Can the piezoelectric effect be used for practical applications?

Yes, the piezoelectric effect has many practical applications in various industries. It is commonly used in sensors, actuators, and transducers for measuring pressure, force, and acceleration. It is also used in piezoelectric motors, generators, and energy harvesting devices.

5. How is the piezoelectric effect used in modern technology?

The piezoelectric effect is used in modern technology in many ways. In consumer electronics, it is used in touch screens, speakers, and microphones. In the medical field, it is used in ultrasound imaging and therapeutic devices. It is also used in precision positioning systems, vibration control, and acoustic devices in industrial and scientific applications.