What do the symbols next to form posts mean?

• Thread starter Rorkster2
  • Start date
In summary, the green envelope with the small symbol next to the post title means there is a post with an attachment, the push pin means the thread is stickied, the weird object is a trashcan and means at least one post has been deleted.
Rorkster2
On the left side of a post title their is always a green envelope that can look slightly different as well as an occasional small symbol to the left of a post. Any way to figure out what they all mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Awesome. Now just to find out about those small symbols to the left

Rorkster2 said:
Awesome. Now just to find out about those small symbols to the left
Do you mean the graph symbol for a poll?

No, they're underneath ratings. I think I've also seen one or 2 directly next to the last few titles but I can't be sure

Rorkster2 said:
No, they're underneath ratings. I think I've also seen one or 2 directly next to the last few titles but I can't be sure
The paper clip means at least one post has an attachment, the push pin means the thread is stickied, the weird object is a trashcan and means at least one post has been deleted.

I think he's talking about the envelopes. Some are open with a letter sticking out, some have a little guy trapped in the envelope, some are bright, some are dull, and some are letter bombs.

Actually, I know the little guy trapped in the envelope and the bomb, but I would be hard pressed to know the difference between the bright envelope and the dull envelope. (Oh, now I guess I do.:blushing:)

Evo said:
The paper clip means at least one post has an attachment, the push pin means the thread is stickied, the weird object is a trashcan and means at least one post has been deleted.
So I searched for a trashcan wondering if clicking on it did anything. Is this it? https://www.physicsforums.com/Nexus/misc/tag.png

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
So I searched for a trashcan wondering if clicking on it did anything. Is this it? https://www.physicsforums.com/Nexus/misc/tag.png
No, That means that the thread has been tagged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
No, That means that the thread has been tagged.
Maybe the trashcan is only visible to mentors? I haven't been able to find one. Not even in the Philosophy forum. :rolleyes:

dlgoff said:
Maybe the trashcan is only visible to mentors? I haven't been able to find one. Not even in the Philosophy forum. :rolleyes:
Then members can't see the trashcan. :biggrin:

Related to What do the symbols next to form posts mean?

What do the symbols next to form posts mean?

The symbols next to form posts are used to indicate different actions or features related to the form. They can vary depending on the platform or website, but some common symbols include a check mark for submitting the form, a pencil for editing the form, and a trash can for deleting the form.

Why are symbols used instead of text?

Symbols are often used instead of text because they are more universally recognizable and take up less space. Text can also be translated into different languages, but symbols are more easily understood by individuals from different cultures.

How do I know which symbol corresponds to which action?

In most cases, hovering over the symbol with your cursor will reveal a tooltip or text description of the action. If not, you can refer to the platform's help or support section for more information on the symbols used.

Can I customize the symbols on my form posts?

Some platforms may allow you to customize the symbols on your form posts, while others may not. It is best to check the platform's settings or customization options to see if this is possible.

Are there any other symbols I should be aware of?

There may be other symbols used on form posts that are specific to certain platforms or websites. It is always best to familiarize yourself with the symbols used on a specific platform to ensure you understand their meanings and functions.