Exploring Time and Space in a Supermassive Hollow Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation and length contraction in the context of a supermassive, superdense hollow sphere. The speakers debate whether time would move slower and objects would be contracted inside the sphere compared to outside. They also discuss the pitfalls of using these concepts in a general sense and how it may not be applicable in all scenarios. Ultimately, they conclude that in this particular case, time dilation can be given an invariant meaning using a timelike Killing vector, while length contraction cannot due to the lack of a spacelike Killing vector in the spacetime.
Hornbein
Suppose there were a supermassive, superdense hollow sphere. Inside of the sphere, would time move more slowly relative to outside? Would objects inside the sphere be contracted relative to outside?

I did this calculation once about the center of a neutron star. (Of course, it isn't hollow.) Time was contracted significantly, but it depended strongly on the radius of the star. This is not know precisely so it wasn't possible to make an accurate estimate. But as you can see, if there is contraction then this will tend to build on itself. More contraction => more density => more gravity => more contraction and so on until everything collapses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
Suppose there were a supermassive, superdense hollow sphere. Inside of the sphere, would time move more slowly relative to outside?

Yes if you are referring to gravitational time dilation.

Hornbein said:
Would objects inside the sphere be contracted relative to outside?

What does that even mean? Lorentz contraction is a local kinematic effect. It is only defined between two different observers at the event(s) at which their world-lines intersect. The statement "Lorentz contraction of objects inside the sphere relative to the outside" is meaningless.

Hornbein said:
Would objects inside the sphere be contracted relative to outside?
How would you compare them? You can bring clocks together, and compare the accumulated proper times. But how to compare lengths at a distance?

re: "How would you compare them"

I imagine one could take the ratio of coordinate length to proper length, just as one takes the ratio of coordinate time to proper time and calls it "time dilation".

I'm not sure it's a good idea to encourage that sort of thinking though. So while I'll mention the idea, I'm not sure I want to propound it seriously.

My real thinking is more along the lines that "time dilation" is routinely interpreted in the context of an absolute time, which is unfortunate, and we don't really need to repeat the mistake with respect to distance. Though people seem eager to, for reasons of treating time and space symmetrically.

pervect said:
My real thinking is more along the lines that "time dilation" is routinely interpreted in the context of an absolute time, which is unfortunate

I agree that it's unfortunate because it so often seems to lead to misconceptions. But in the particular scenario under discussion, there is a sense of "time" that is intrinsic to the scenario, because the spacetime as a whole has a timelike Killing vector field, and therefore it has an invariant notion of a "static" observer, namely, an observer following an orbit of the timelike KVF. Static observers inside and outside the shell can exchange light signals and verify that (a) they are at rest relative to each other, and (b) the proper time interval between two successive round-trip light signals is smaller for the observer inside the shell than for the one outside. This allows "time dilation" to be given an invariant meaning, *in this particular case*.

Of course this definition does not generalize to non-stationary spacetimes, which is why one has to use it with extreme caution. But it does allow a better (IMO) answer to be given to the question of why no similar comparison can be made for lengths in this scenario. That is simply because the spacetime has no spacelike KVF that can be used to define an invariant notion of "length contraction" the way we defined an invariant notion of "time dilation" above. So in this particular respect, time and space *do* work differently.

PeterDonis said:
I agree that it's unfortunate because it so often seems to lead to misconceptions. But in the particular scenario under discussion, there is a sense of "time" that is intrinsic to the scenario, because the spacetime as a whole has a timelike Killing vector field, and therefore it has an invariant notion of a "static" observer, namely, an observer following an orbit of the timelike KVF. Static observers inside and outside the shell can exchange light signals and verify that (a) they are at rest relative to each other, and (b) the proper time interval between two successive round-trip light signals is smaller for the observer inside the shell than for the one outside. This allows "time dilation" to be given an invariant meaning, *in this particular case*.

In an attempt to paraphrase your argument concisely, are you are saying that if we consider time dilation written in the typical form as ##\sqrt{\left| g_{00} \right|}## it appears at first glance to be coordinate dependent. However, it can be written in coordinate independent fashion in any stationary space-time by letting ##\xi^a## be a timelike Killing vector associated with said space-time and considering the magnitude of said vector ## \sqrt{ \left| \xi_a \xi^a \right| }##.

If we consider the Schwarzschild geometry as a specific example, there ARE space-like Killing vectors, but they typically represent rotational symmetries, not translational symmetries, thus they can't readily be interpreted as "length contraction / dilation" - at least I can't think of any way to interpret them thus.

I'm not sure how to express this in less technical language at the moment.

pervect said:
re: "How would you compare them"

I imagine one could take the ratio of coordinate length to proper length, just as one takes the ratio of coordinate time to proper time and calls it "time dilation".

That would yield no "length contraction" within the cavity, right?

pervect said:
In an attempt to paraphrase your argument concisely, are you are saying that if we consider time dilation written in the typical form as ##\sqrt{\left| g_{00} \right|}## it appears at first glance to be coordinate dependent. However, it can be written in coordinate independent fashion in any stationary space-time by letting ##\xi^a## be a timelike Killing vector associated with said space-time and considering the magnitude of said vector ## \sqrt{ \left| \xi_a \xi^a \right| }##.

Yes.

pervect said:
If we consider the Schwarzschild geometry as a specific example, there ARE space-like Killing vectors, but they typically represent rotational symmetries, not translational symmetries, thus they can't readily be interpreted as "length contraction / dilation" - at least I can't think of any way to interpret them thus.

Neither can I. One way to express this is that the magnitude of the timelike KVF is constant along orbits of all of the spacelike KVFs, so the spacelike KVFs can only be used to "move between" points that have the same time dilation factor; they can't be used to compare quantities at points with different time dilation factors.

What is a supermassive hollow sphere?

A supermassive hollow sphere is a theoretical construct in physics that refers to a massive, spherical object with a hollow interior. It is often used as a model to explore the effects of gravity on space and time.

How does a supermassive hollow sphere affect time and space?

The presence of a supermassive hollow sphere can significantly alter the fabric of space and time. Due to its immense mass, it can create a strong gravitational field, which can cause time dilation and distort the surrounding space.

What are the potential implications of studying a supermassive hollow sphere?

Studying a supermassive hollow sphere can provide insights into the behavior of gravity and its effects on the universe. It can also help us understand the dynamics of black holes and other massive objects in space.

How can we explore time and space in a supermassive hollow sphere?

There are various theoretical models and mathematical equations that can be used to explore the effects of a supermassive hollow sphere on time and space. These can be simulated through computer programs or tested through experiments.

What are the potential challenges of exploring time and space in a supermassive hollow sphere?

One of the main challenges is the lack of direct observations of supermassive hollow spheres, as they are only theoretical constructs. Another challenge is the complexity of the equations and models involved, which can be difficult to understand and apply.