Energy Questions? Solve Problems Now

• Thread starter yosup231
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation revolved around two physics questions, one involving a roller coaster and the other involving a snowmobile and skier. The first question asked about the work required to get an empty train of cars to the top of a hill and the power needed to do so in 30 seconds, as well as the potential and kinetic energy conversion during a 21.9 meter drop. The second question asked about the speed of a skier being pulled by a snowmobile up a ski slope, using the law of conservation of energy. The conversation included various attempts at solving the problems and requests for help, with the final plea being made with 60 minutes left to complete the assignment.
yosup231
Energy questions??

ok i have two questions which i am completely stumped on and i need some help...

At riverside park in Agawam, Massachusetts, a ride called the cyclone is a giant roller coaster that ascends a 34.1 m hill and then drops 21.9 m before ascending the next hill. THe train of cars has a mass of 4727 kg. a)how much work is required to get an empty train of cars from the ground to the top of the hill. b)what power must be generated to bring the train to the top of the hill in 30 s. c)how much potential energy is converted into kinetic energy from the top of the hill to the bottom of the 21.9 m drop?

a) (4727 kg)(10m/s^2)(34.1m)=1611907 N.m (ithink that's right)
b) 1611907N.m/30s=53730.23 watts (i also think this is right)
c) Help please??

other question

Using her snowmobile, Midge pulls a 60.0 kh skier up a ski slope inclined at an angle of 12.0 degrees to the horizontal. The snowmobile exerts a force of 200.0 N parallel to the hill. If the coeficient of friction between the skis and hte snow is 0.120, how fast is the skier moving afster he has been pulled for 100.0 m starting from rest? (ignore the effects of the static friction that must be overcome to initially start the skier in motion.) Use the law of conservation of energy.

i know the formula for conservation of energy is KEo+PEo=KEf+PEf and i think for this problem i would have to find the net work by using the equation of KEf-KEo= net work... i also know the KE=1/2mv^2 and PE=mgh my problem is how do i use this information to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yosup
could u tell me how do i post my query?

Well you basically know the potential energy at the top and the potential energy at the bottom. This change in potential energy has been converted into kinetic energy.

okay so i guess i would do this:

(4727 kg)(10m/s^2)(21.9 m)=1035213J
1611907J-1035213J= 576694J (is that right)

can anyone help with the second question

im kind of new at this... why does it say my post has been moved??

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS QUESTION?!

EDIT: n/m i see i should have posted this in the homework question section

Last edited:
come on please I am sure someone here knows how to do these problems :confused:

C'mon its been two days; isn't there someone who could help me with these questions? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Question b is correct, assuming question a is correct. Question c is also appears correct. It would be a simple question if done using Newtonian laws of motion; however, I'mnot sure how to proceed using conservation of energy.

ok... but how about the other question that's the one that I am having a lot of trouble with

Hootenanny said:
however, I'mnot sure how to proceed using conservation of energy.
I'm talking about the second question. Perhaps someone else could give a hint?

yosup231 said:
C'mon its been two days; isn't there someone who could help me with these questions? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
penguino explained how to do c) six minutes after you posted the question!

I'm talking about the second question. Perhaps someone else could give a hint?
What second question? You posted three questions. You gave answers to the first two and were told that they were correct. (You are taking g= 10 m/s2? 9.8 or even 9.81 is more accurate.)

other question

Using her snowmobile, Midge pulls a 60.0 kh skier up a ski slope inclined at an angle of 12.0 degrees to the horizontal. The snowmobile exerts a force of 200.0 N parallel to the hill. If the coeficient of friction between the skis and hte snow is 0.120, how fast is the skier moving afster he has been pulled for 100.0 m starting from rest? (ignore the effects of the static friction that must be overcome to initially start the skier in motion.) Use the law of conservation of energy.

i know the formula for conservation of energy is KEo+PEo=KEf+PEf and i think for this problem i would have to find the net work by using the equation of KEf-KEo= net work... i also know the KE=1/2mv^2 and PE=mgh my problem is how do i use this information to solve this problem?

this question is kind of urgent... could someone please help!?

using Newtonian motion equations; its a simple matter of resolving forces and using F=ma, v=u+at, v^2 = u^2 + 2as, s = ut + 1/2 at^2 etc.

well i did:

60kg x sin 12= 12.47kg
200N x .12 x cos 12=23.47N
200N-23.47N= 176.53N
176.53N/12.47kg= 14.52 m/s^2
Vf^2=0+2(14.2m/s^2)(100m)
Vf=53.3 m/s

Now I know this is wrong could you please explain to me where i went wrong

Please this is urgent someone answer

yosup231 said:
well i did:
60kg x sin 12= 12.47kg
200N x .12 x cos 12=23.47N
200N-23.47N= 176.53N
176.53N/12.47kg= 14.52 m/s^2
Vf^2=0+2(14.2m/s^2)(100m)
Vf=53.3 m/s
Now I know this is wrong could you please explain to me where i went wrong

AFAIK, what you are doing with mass in the first operation is meaningless in this context. Also, you aren't finding [what I'm guessing to be] the force of friction properly in the second line. The question asked you to use the conservation of energy in the first place!

The snowmobile exerts 200N of force parallel to the slope for 100m, thus [itex]W_s = F_{||}d = (200)(100) = 200 000 J[/itex]

They give you the coefficient of friction as 0.120 and the mass (60 kg) so you can find the force of friction parallel to the displacement with some trig, and therefore [itex]W_f[/tex] should be straightforward. Friction does negative work ([itex]\cos 180 = -1[/itex]) so subtract it from [itex]W_s[/itex] to get net work.

Remember [itex]\Sigma W = \Delta KE[/itex]

Last edited:
c'mon i have 60 more minutes to get this done i think i figured out some stuff but I am not sure WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

i did

60kg x 10m/s^2 x .12 x cos 12= 70.4
200N-70.4N=129.6 N
129.6N x 100m=12960 J

then I am not sure what else to do PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME

yosup231 said:
c'mon i have 60 more minutes to get this done i think i figured out some stuff but I am not sure WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP
i did
60kg x 10m/s^2 x .12 x cos 12= 70.4
200N-70.4N=129.6 N
129.6N x 100m=12960 J
then I am not sure what else to do PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME
(i am somewhat rushing and assuming your answer above is correct...)

Here you found the total work done.
Now someone told you that the total work is equal to the change in kinetic energy. So if:

[tex] 12960J = \Delta K =.5mv_f^2 - 0 [/tex]

(0 is the initial kinetic energy.)You can solve for vf can't you?

What is energy?

Energy is defined as the ability to do work. It can come in many forms, including heat, light, motion, and electricity.

How is energy measured?

Energy is typically measured in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ). Other common units of measurement include calories (cal) and kilocalories (kcal).

What are the different types of energy?

There are many types of energy, but some of the most common include thermal energy, potential energy, kinetic energy, chemical energy, and nuclear energy.

How can energy be converted from one form to another?

Energy can be converted from one form to another through various processes such as combustion, nuclear reactions, and electromagnetic induction.

Why is energy important?

Energy is essential for all living things and is crucial for human survival. It powers our homes, vehicles, and industries, and is necessary for the growth and functioning of our bodies.