Determining the product of a reaction based on mean wt% and Standard Deviation

In summary: So in summary, the product is likely CuCO3, but it could also be CuCO3*xH2O, depending on the proportions of the starting materials.
x12179x
I have no idea how to start this problem or what equations I would need, if any. Below is the problem, and after that, I include my failed attempts at this problem.

The problem:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Students at Eastern Illinois University intended to prepare copper(II) carbonate by adding a solution of CuSO4 * 5 H2O to a solution of Na2CO3.

CuSO4 * 5 H2O(aq) + NaCO3(aq) ----> CuCO3(s) + Na2SO4(aq) + 5 H2O(l)

After warming the mixture to 60 degree C, the gelantinous blue precipitate coagulated into an easily filterable pale green solid. The product was filtered, washed, and dried at 70 degree C. Copper in the product was measured by heating .4g of solid in a stream of methane at high temerpature to reduce the solid to pure Cu, which is weighed.

4 CuCO3(s) + CH4(g) --heat--> 4 Cu(s) + 5 CO2(g) + 2 H2O(l)

In 1995, 43 students found a mean value of 55.6 wt% Cu with a standard deviation of 2.7 wt%. In 1996, 39 students found 55.9 wt% with a standard deviation of 3.8 wt%. The instructor tried the experiment 9 times and measured 55.8% with a standard deviation of 0.5 wt%. Was the product of the reaction probably CuCO3? Could it have been a hydrate, CuCO3 * xH2O?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

First since there are many different data sets, so I thought it was probably a comparison of t values for the 3 data sets. The equation is t= [ |xmean1-xmean2 | / s ]* sqrt(n1n2/n1+n2). and it seems like there was values to plug into each to them, but then I realized the question was not asking for a comparison of values, but to determine what the product was.

I looked through the sections in the textbook that we went over in class, but none of them expained how to do this or showed any similar examples. So can anyone help?

Even if you don't know the answer or aren't certain of how to solve this problem, can you at least explain how you might possibly sovle/start this problem yourselves? (it might give me ideas)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First answer this question, or give it a shot : If I had 100g of CuCO3, how much of this weight comes from Cu ?

hmmm, I think I might know what I'm suppose to do now.

So I calculated 51.432g Cu in 100g CuCO3, which makes the wt%, 51.4%.

The I calulated it for CuCO3* x H2O and got 44.888g if x was 1, and less if it were more than 1. which makes the wt% no higher than 44.8% in that compound.

So I think my answer would be that the product is most likely CuCO3 and not CuCO3 * xH2O.

But when I calulated the confidence interval, none of those values fit in.

So is the answer neither?

But thanks, that was a lot of help...or guidance.

Last edited:
Very good.

The significance of the very high t-value is that the probability of it being anhydrous CuCO3 is pretty low (in fact you can determine the probability assuming the distribution is a Gaussian). However, as you correctly said, the probability of it Being CuCO3.xH2O becomes even lower still. This is all that the question is really asking, and you have done everything it wanted, but if you want to get to the bottom of it all...

...you might want to know that the common form of copper carbonate (known also as cupric carbonate-hydroxide) is CuCO3.Cu(OH)2, which has a molecular weight of about 221 g/mol and the %Cu in it comes out to be roughly 57%, which is a lot closer to the determined values. In fact, if you consider the possibility of there being about 1% impurity (typically from Fe) in the reactants you will get very close to the measured values.

1. What does mean wt% and Standard Deviation represent in a reaction?

Mean wt% and Standard Deviation represent measures of the central tendency and variability of the product in a reaction, respectively. The mean wt% is the average percentage of the product in a sample, while the Standard Deviation shows how much the data points are spread around the mean.

2. How are mean wt% and Standard Deviation calculated?

Mean wt% is calculated by adding up all the individual weights of the product in a sample and dividing it by the total weight of the sample. Standard Deviation is calculated by finding the difference between each data point and the mean, squaring the differences, adding them up, dividing by the number of data points, and then taking the square root of the result.

3. Why is it important to determine the product of a reaction using mean wt% and Standard Deviation?

Determining the product of a reaction using mean wt% and Standard Deviation allows for a more accurate and precise measurement of the product. It also gives insights into the consistency and reliability of the reaction. This information can be used to optimize the reaction conditions and improve the overall efficiency of the process.

4. Can mean wt% and Standard Deviation be used to compare reactions?

Yes, mean wt% and Standard Deviation can be used to compare reactions. By calculating the mean wt% and Standard Deviation for different reactions, we can determine which reaction produces the highest yield and the most consistent results. This can help in selecting the most efficient and reliable reaction for further study or production.

5. Are there any limitations to using mean wt% and Standard Deviation to determine the product of a reaction?

While mean wt% and Standard Deviation are useful measures, they do have limitations. They assume a normal distribution of data and may not accurately represent the product if the data is skewed. Additionally, they do not provide information on the specific chemical composition of the product, so other analytical techniques may be needed for a more comprehensive analysis.