Help with a few questions please

• Thread starter EIRE2003
  • Start date
In summary, the experiment used to find the Resultant of 2 vectors is just simple geometry. The wave phenomenon used to distinguish between transverse waves and longitudinal waves is polarization. The equation that defines temperature on the celsius scale is 0 degrees C for pure water freezing and 100 degrees C for boiling at standard atmospheric pressure, which can be converted to Kelvin or Fahrenheit. The shortest wavelength of sound detectable to the human ear is 0.0165 m. The frequency of the second harmonic for a stationary wave at 256 Hz is 512 Hz. The minimum frequency of a gamma ray photon required for pair production to occur is 2.47*1020Hz. The rotation of the vanes in a Crookes radi
EIRE2003
1. What experiment is used to find the Resultant of 2 vectors?

2. Which wave phenomenon is used to distinguish between transverse waves and longitudinal waves?

3. Give the equation that defines temperature on the celsius scale.

4. What is the shortest wavelength of sound that can be haeard in air by a person given that the freq response of the ear ranges from 20Hz to 20kHz?

5. A tin whistle which acts like an open pipe has a fundamental freq of 256Hz. What is the freq of the second harmonic?

6. The following reaction represents pair production :
gamma ray = positron + electron, calculate the min freq of the gamma ray photon required for this reaction to occur.

There is one other question i was thinking of, Photons have no mass, but when light is shone on a crookes radiometer the vanes rotate? Is this because of the energy that photons have, E=hf (Energy = Plancks constant multiplied by the freq).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) No experiment needed here, just simple geometry.

2) Not sure what you mean here. There are p-waves and s-waves. S-waves cannot travel through a liquid or a gas.

3) Well, pure water freezes at 0 degrees C and boils at 100 degrees C at standard atmospheric pressure.
You can convert to Kelvin by adding 273.15 onto the value for C.
You can convert to F by multiplying the value for C by 1.8 and then adding 32.

4) Since λ = c/f and c=330 ms-1 The shortest wavelength of sound detectable to the human ear would be 0.0165 m.

5) If a stationary wave can be set up at 256 Hz, then the second harmonic should be at 512 Hz.

6) The mass of an electron (and a positron) is 9.11 * 10-31 Kg and the speed of light is 3.00 * 108 ms-1. Therefore plugging numbers into E = mc2 you should get the energy of the photon as 1.64 * 10-13 J. Then using E = hf the frequency comes out to be 2.47*1020Hz. Seems a little high but I checked the numbers and I can't spot any glaring errors.

Edit: I missed your last question.

Originally posted by EIRE2003
There is one other question i was thinking of, Photons have no mass, but when light is shone on a crookes radiometer the vanes rotate? Is this because of the energy that photons have, E=hf (Energy = Plancks constant multiplied by the freq).
No. Einsteins equation E = mc2 is actually a lot more general than that. The equation is actually E2 = p2c2 + m2c4.
From this it is possible to extract this bit E = pc where p is momentum. Therefore it is possible to find the momentum of a photon for a given energy since c is constant.

Last edited:
Could the answer to # 2 be polarization? As far as I know, longitudinal waves are not polarized, whereas transverse waves can be--in certain circumstances, anyway.

Also,

I heard once that the radiometer would not rotate for any reasonably-attainable flux of light if there were a perfect vacuum in the glass bulb. Supposedly the effect depends on small amounts of air in the bulb being heated differentially on the dark side of the vanes vs. on the shiny side. I would be interested to hear from anyone on whether this is really the case.

In ordinary light bulbs there is Argon gas at low pressure. I was asked a physics olympiad question about why this gas was there. I got it absolutely completely wrong as what I wrote was based on pure quess work.

It turns out that the low pressure inert gas is there to stop a layer of tungstun ions forming on the inside of the bulb (tungston being the filament in the bulb).

1. What kind of questions can you help me with?

We can help with a variety of questions, including scientific research questions, data analysis questions, experimental design questions, and more. Just let us know what you need assistance with and we will do our best to help.

2. How can I submit my questions for help?

You can submit your questions through email, online forums, or by scheduling a consultation with one of our experts. Be sure to provide as much information as possible about your question and any relevant data or materials.

3. Will you solve my questions for me?

No, we are here to provide guidance and assistance, but we will not solve your questions for you. Our goal is to help you understand the problem and find a solution on your own.

4. Is there a limit to the number of questions I can ask for help with?

We do not have a specific limit, but we do ask that you prioritize your questions and only ask for help with the most pressing or difficult ones. This will allow us to provide the best assistance possible.

5. How long does it typically take to get a response to my questions?

Response times may vary depending on the complexity of the questions and the availability of our experts. We aim to respond within 24-48 hours, but it may take longer for more complex questions. We appreciate your patience.