A galilean puzzle in electromagnetism

In summary, the conversation discusses a "galilean puzzle" in electromagnetism involving a charged particle moving in a magnetic field with an electric field present. The question is whether a galilean boost can eliminate the electric field terms from the lagrangian. It is suggested that a Lorentz transformation may be necessary to fully eliminate the electric field, but there is debate about whether the initial lagrangian is galilean invariant. It is also mentioned that if the particle's movement is not a perfect spiral, the electric field cannot be eliminated.
phoenix85
A "galilean puzzle" in electromagnetism

Well, I still didn't managed to find the answer, since the puzzle seems a little bit more involved than I first tought...to perform the computations, you only need to know a little bit about lagrangian/hamiltonian dynamics in electromagnetism.

Consider a charged particle moving in a plane perpendicular to a homogeneous (constant) magnetic field (B=[0,0,B]), and with an electric field lying in the plane (E=[Ex,Ey,0]). One can write down the related lagrangian (using the symmetric gauge) and get the equations of motion. If the electric field was not present, we get the cyclotron motion, but in presence of such an electric field, one can show that the particle will be drifting with the speed of the "guiding center", v=ExB/B².

Now, the question : compute the transformed lagrangian under the galilean boost defined by the speed of this guiding center, in order to simplify the electric field components. Will such a galilean boost eliminate the electric field terms from the lagrangian ?

Well, I tried to do it on the paper, but from the galilean boost I get a term depending on time in the new lagrangian (because of the magnetic potential) !?

Physics news on Phys.org

phoenix85 said:
Well, I still didn't managed to find the answer, since the puzzle seems a little bit more involved than I first tought...to perform the computations, you only need to know a little bit about lagrangian/hamiltonian dynamics in electromagnetism.

Consider a charged particle moving in a plane perpendicular to a homogeneous (constant) magnetic field (B=[0,0,B]), and with an electric field lying in the plane (E=[Ex,Ey,0]). One can write down the related lagrangian (using the symmetric gauge) and get the equations of motion. If the electric field was not present, we get the cyclotron motion, but in presence of such an electric field, one can show that the particle will be drifting with the speed of the "guiding center", v=ExB/B².

Now, the question : compute the transformed lagrangian under the galilean boost defined by the speed of this guiding center, in order to simplify the electric field components. Will such a galilean boost eliminate the electric field terms from the lagrangian ?

Well, I tried to do it on the paper, but from the galilean boost I get a term depending on time in the new lagrangian (because of the magnetic potential) !?

To obtain a complete cancelling you have to make the Lorentz transformation (not Galilean) that involves the time variable too.

Bob.

Bob_for_short said:
To obtain a complete cancelling you have to make the Lorentz transformation (not Galilean) that involves the time variable too.

Bob.

This is also what I thought, but I've been told that the initial lagrangian is galilean invariant, since this is a non-relativistic system. To be more precise about that, when computing the new lagrangian, one gets the old lagrangian plus the total time derivative of a given scalar function (the latter is relevant to enforce the invariance of the Schrodinger equation under the galilean boosts, since the function itself will have to appear as a phase into the transformed wave function).

phoenix85 said:
This is also what I thought, but I've been told that the initial lagrangian is galilean invariant, since this is a non-relativistic system. To be more precise about that, when computing the new lagrangian, one gets the old lagrangian plus the total time derivative of a given scalar function (the latter is relevant to enforce the invariance of the Schrodinger equation under the galilean boosts, since the function itself will have to appear as a phase into the transformed wave function).

Then, maybe, the additional term you get could be neglected in the non-relativistic limit.

Bob.

P.S. If the curve is not a perfect spiral, you cannot eliminate the electric field, I am afraid.

Last edited:

1. What is a galilean puzzle in electromagnetism?

A galilean puzzle in electromagnetism refers to a paradox that arises when trying to reconcile the principles of Galilean relativity with the laws of electromagnetism. This paradox was first identified by Galileo Galilei and has been a topic of study for many scientists.

2. How does the galilean puzzle relate to Galilean relativity?

The galilean puzzle arises because the laws of electromagnetism do not appear to be consistent with the principle of Galilean relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same in all inertial reference frames. This puzzle challenges our understanding of how the laws of electromagnetism can be applied in different reference frames.

3. What are some proposed solutions to the galilean puzzle?

There have been several proposed solutions to the galilean puzzle, including the theory of special relativity developed by Albert Einstein. Other solutions involve modifying the laws of electromagnetism or redefining the principle of Galilean relativity. However, there is still ongoing debate and research on this topic.

4. How does the galilean puzzle impact our understanding of electromagnetism?

The galilean puzzle challenges our current understanding of electromagnetism and has led to the development of new theories and principles. It also highlights the need for a more comprehensive theory that can fully explain the behavior of electromagnetic phenomena in all reference frames.

5. Are there any practical applications of the galilean puzzle?

While the galilean puzzle may not have direct practical applications, the research and theories surrounding it have greatly contributed to our understanding of electromagnetism and have led to advancements in technology, such as the development of GPS systems and satellite communications.