Solving trigonometric system of equations

In summary, the person is trying to find the intersection of a curve and a ray, but they don't know the coordinates of the intersection. They want to solve the problem numerically, but they are not sure if they are willing to settle for an approximation.
Alibeg
Hi. I'd like to know whether is it possible to do the following, and if so, how...(and also, whether is it possible to solve similar problems)

I have parametric equation of a curve and I need to find its intersection with a ray that starts at the origin of the coordinate system and makes known angle with the positive x-axis.

Curve:
x = ( R-r )( cos([tex]\varphi[/tex]) - cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) ) + D cos([tex]\varphi[/tex] (R-r)/r - [tex]\theta[/tex] (R-r)/r )
y = ( R-r )( sin([tex]\varphi[/tex]) - sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) ) + D sin([tex]\varphi[/tex] (R-r)/r - [tex]\theta[/tex] (R-r)/r )

R, r and D are known constants.

Ray:
y = tan([tex]\beta[/tex]) x

[tex]\beta[/tex], [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\varphi[/tex] are angles, [tex]\varphi[/tex] is my parameter, [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are some variable angles.

I need to find the coordinates of the intersection of curve and the ray as a function of [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex].

In short I want to know coordinates of intersection but without the parameter [tex]\varphi[/tex] in them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mach18Image1.png

This is the picture of my problem for r = 5, R= 6 and D = 7.
Note that [tex]\theta[/tex] is not visible on this picture, but it had a fixed value while I was taking the picture.
Making [tex]\theta[/tex] change would cause curve to change position and orientation.

How about numerically? It's not too hard to design an algorithm that zeros into the roots without having to manually select starting values.

Hmmm. I need distance of that intersection from the origin of the coordinate system. But I need it as a function of a [tex]\theta[/tex] so I can find its minimal value for different [tex]\theta[/tex]s . (i would have to use derivatives and other tricks later)

Well what, that ain't no hill neither. But first you need to make clear if you are wiling to settle for a numeric approximation. If not, then I can't do it.

Last edited:
I am sorry, but numeric solution doesn't help me, since I cannot analyze the data further that way, and I also don't think it's an easy task.

Maybe I am using a wrong approach.Here more description of my problem:
I have to change [tex]\theta[/tex] from 0 to some value. While changing it my (green) curve moves (the origin of the coordinate system is always inside of it).
If I trace my curve, I get a unusual white shaped area. I want to find the equation for the boundary line of that area.

mach18image2.png

1. What is a trigonometric system of equations?

A trigonometric system of equations is a set of equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations typically involve multiple variables and can be solved using algebraic techniques.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric system of equations?

To solve a trigonometric system of equations, you can use substitution or elimination methods. Substitution involves solving for one variable in terms of another and then plugging that value into the other equations. Elimination involves manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and then solving for the remaining variables.

3. What are the common strategies for solving trigonometric systems of equations?

Some common strategies for solving trigonometric systems of equations include using trigonometric identities, converting trigonometric functions to their equivalent forms, and using the unit circle to understand the relationships between trigonometric functions.

4. Can a trigonometric system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a trigonometric system of equations can have more than one solution. In fact, most trigonometric systems of equations have an infinite number of solutions. This is because trigonometric functions are periodic and have multiple values for a given input.

5. How can solving a trigonometric system of equations be useful?

Solving a trigonometric system of equations can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. It can help determine the relationship between different variables and can be used to solve real-world problems involving angles and distances.