Unexpected change in potential difference across a parallel circuit

In summary, the potential difference across a parallel circuit remains constant regardless of the number of resistors connected, but the internal resistance of the battery and increased current can cause a slight drop in potential difference.
physicsalex
Hello, I have just completed a physics lab in which I was trying to prove that the potential difference across a parallel circuit remains constant regardless of how many resistors are connected in the circuit. The potential difference of the battery is 6V. As I connected the resistors, starting with one and increasing to four, the potential difference dropped. With one resistor is was about 5.6 V, with two it was about 4.7 V, with three it was about 4.5 V, and with four it was about 3.9 V. I know this is not supposed to happen. I made sure that I connected everything correctly and I did.

Can anyone help me understand why this happened?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the internal resistance of the battery and the increased current drawn as you add resistors.

1. What is a parallel circuit?

A parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected side by side, allowing multiple paths for the flow of electric current.

2. What causes unexpected changes in potential difference across a parallel circuit?

Unexpected changes in potential difference across a parallel circuit can be caused by a variety of factors, such as changes in resistance, changes in the power source, or faulty connections.

3. How does a parallel circuit differ from a series circuit?

A parallel circuit differs from a series circuit in that the components are connected in separate branches, while in a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other in a single loop.

4. How can unexpected changes in potential difference be detected in a parallel circuit?

Unexpected changes in potential difference can be detected by measuring the voltage across each component in the circuit using a voltmeter. If there is a difference in potential between components, it indicates a change in the circuit.

5. How can unexpected changes in potential difference be prevented in a parallel circuit?

To prevent unexpected changes in potential difference, it is important to ensure that all connections are secure and that the components are functioning correctly. Regular maintenance and checks can help identify and prevent potential issues in a parallel circuit.