Need help with a question on potential difference

StarlitVarsh
Homework Statement
Consider the circuit shown in the figure. Calculate the potential difference across 3 Ohm resistor
Relevant Equations
I believe V=IR and, R = R1+R2+ R3, 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... are relevant.
Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 7.38.53 PM.png

So far, here's what I have:
Taking the parallel-connected resistors alone, 1/Total effective resistance (R) = 1/3ohm + 1/6ohm = 1/2, so R = 2ohm

Replacing the 3 and 6 ohm resistors with a 2 ohm resistor, the total resistance will be 2+4 = 6ohm

Using V=IR,
I (current) = V(potential difference)/R(resistance)
=12V/6ohm = 2A

I've found the total current, but now I'm pretty much stuck???

Physics news on Phys.org
StarlitVarsh said:
Homework Statement: Consider the circuit shown in the figure. Calculate the potential difference across 3 Ohm resistor
Relevant Equations: I believe V=IR and, R = R1+R2+ R3, 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... are relevant.

View attachment 332778

So far, here's what I have:
Taking the parallel-connected resistors alone, 1/Total effective resistance (R) = 1/3ohm + 1/6ohm = 1/2, so R = 2ohm

Replacing the 3 and 6 ohm resistors with a 2 ohm resistor, the total resistance will be 2+4 = 6ohm

Using V=IR,
=12V/6ohm = 2A

What is the p.d. across the 4Ω?

haruspex said:
What is the p.d. across the 4Ω?
Honestly, I'm not sure. I learnt the concept just a couple hours ago, so I'm not sure how most of the questions in the topic work.

The potential difference (voltage) across a resistor is the current through it times the resistance; V=I⋅R.
Current flows from the positive voltage side to the negative side, except in voltage sources, like batteries, where it's the opposite. In any complete loop of the circuit all of the voltages must sum to zero; but be mindful of the voltage polarities when you do that sum.

StarlitVarsh said:
Using V=IR,
=12V/6ohm = 2A

That's good so far. The 'total current' is 2A. That means the current through the cell is 2A. And the current through the 4Ω resistor is therefore also 2A (since the cell and resistor are in series, they have the same current).

Remember, you can use 'V=IR' more than once. You can use it for any resistor providing that: V is the p.d. across that resistor; I is the current through that resistor; and R is the resistance of that resistor.

There is more than one way to do the problem. But, since you've already got the total current, one method is to find the p.d. across the 4Ω resistor and see if you can then use this value.

DaveE said:
The potential difference (voltage) across a resistor is the current through it times the resistance; V=I⋅R.
Current flows from the positive voltage side to the negative side, except in voltage sources, like batteries, where it's the opposite. In any complete loop of the circuit all of the voltages must sum to zero; but be mindful of the voltage polarities when you do that sum.
I found the solution soon after my initial post, but thanks anyways!

Likes DaveE
Steve4Physics said:
That's good so far. The 'total current' is 2A. That means the current through the cell is 2A. And the current through the 4Ω resistor is therefore also 2A (since the cell and resistor are in series, they have the same current).

Remember, you can use 'V=IR' more than once. You can use it for any resistor providing that: V is the p.d. across that resistor; I is the current through that resistor; and R is the resistance of that resistor.

There is more than one way to do the problem. But, since you've already got the total current, one method is to find the p.d. across the 4Ω resistor and see if you can then use this value.
I found the solution by taking the total effective resistance of the 3 and 6-ohm resistors, and multiplying with the current of the entire circuit - and the solution I found was accurate to the answer key. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Likes Steve4Physics
StarlitVarsh said:
I found the solution by taking the total effective resistance of the 3 and 6-ohm resistors, and multiplying with the current of the entire circuit - and the solution I found was accurate to the answer key. Thanks for the suggestion, though!
That's a good way to do it.

For information, here are another couple of methods. We note that the 3Ω and 6Ω resistors are in a parallel (total effective resistance =2Ω) and therefore have the same pd. Call this pd 'U'. We are being asked to find U.

1. The pd across the 4Ω resistor is V = IR = 2A x 4Ω = 8V.
Going round the circuit 'loop', the pds must add up to equal the cell's emf:
8+U = 12, giving U.

2. When you've learned about the potential divider formula, you can immediately write down U = 12 ##\times \frac 2{4+2}##.

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is the driving force behind the flow of electric current.

2. How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by dividing the change in electric potential energy by the amount of charge that has moved between two points. This can be represented by the equation V = ΔPE/q, where V is the potential difference, ΔPE is the change in potential energy, and q is the amount of charge.

3. What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is the volt (V). It is named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, who invented the first battery.

4. What is the relationship between potential difference and electric current?

Potential difference is directly proportional to electric current, meaning that an increase in potential difference will result in an increase in electric current. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, which states that V = IR, where V is the potential difference, I is the electric current, and R is the resistance of the circuit.

5. How does potential difference affect the flow of electricity?

Potential difference is the driving force behind the flow of electricity. A higher potential difference will result in a greater flow of electric current, while a lower potential difference will result in a smaller flow of electric current. In other words, potential difference is what causes electricity to move from one point to another in a circuit.