Global Symmetries: Understanding ##T^a##s and (1.10)

In summary, the conversation discusses the finite transformation and its relation to the Lie algebra. The exponential form of the finite transformation is explored and compared to the exponential form in quantum mechanics for a finite translation. The understanding of the action of the generator on the coordinates is also mentioned.
rbwang1225
1.jpg

2.jpg

I don't know how (1.10) pops up and why the ##T^a##s satisfy the Lie algebra.
Is there any physical intuition?

Any comment would be very appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The finite transformation is the exponential
[tex]
\exp(-i \theta_a T^a)
[/tex]
here [itex]\theta[/itex] is the generator's parameter and [itex]T[/itex] is the generator of the transformation. This is to linear order
[tex]
= 1 - i\theta_{a}T^{a}
[/tex]
This is like in quantum mechanics where for a finite translation you would write
[tex]
\exp(-ia\hat{p}) \rightarrow 1 - i a \hat{p}
[/tex]
for an infinitesimal translation. But you need to know the action of the generator on the coordinates, i.e. how does [itex]x[/itex] look after it gets acted on by this transformation.

What is a global symmetry?

A global symmetry is a type of symmetry that applies to an entire system, rather than just a single element within the system. It is a transformation that leaves the system invariant, meaning it doesn't change the overall properties of the system.

What is the significance of global symmetries in physics?

Global symmetries play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental laws of nature. They are used to describe the conservation laws of various physical quantities, such as energy, momentum, and electric charge.

What is the difference between global symmetries and local symmetries?

Global symmetries involve transformations that are the same at every point in space and time, while local symmetries involve transformations that vary depending on the location in space and time. Global symmetries are more fundamental and have a wider range of applications.

What is the mathematical framework for describing global symmetries?

The mathematical framework for describing global symmetries is group theory. A group is a set of elements that can be combined together using a defined operation, such as multiplication or addition. The properties of a group can be used to analyze and understand the symmetries of a system.

How are global symmetries related to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is based on the principle of local gauge symmetries, which are a type of local symmetry. These symmetries are used to describe the interactions between particles and the fundamental forces of nature. Global symmetries also play a role in the Standard Model, particularly in explaining the conservation laws of various physical quantities.