Would I like the world of computational mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about a first year ME student who is considering their options and is torn between control systems and computational mechanics. The student is more inclined towards theoretical work and is not interested in hands-on work. They initially had their heart set on control systems but are now considering computational mechanics, which they used to find dry and inaccessible. However, they are now starting to see the appeal of computational mechanics and imagine a job involving mathematics, programming, and simulation. They also mention the potential demand for computational mechanics experts in various industries. The student asks for any potential disappointments or drawbacks in pursuing computational mechanics.
Gauss M.D.
I'm a first year ME student considering my options.

I'd consider myself fairly far to the theoretical, hands-off side of humankind. I'm better with differential equations than with a wrench, so to speak. This basically leaves me with two realistic options - control systems and computational mechanics.

I had my heart set on control systems for a while, but I'm starting to think that's not really my style either. I get the impression control systems engineering revolves around a lot of circuit/sensor fidgeting, fairly dull mathematics and PID-controllers.

On the other hand, computational mechanics used to seem unbelievably dry and inaccessible. But I think I'm starting to see the appeal, although I'm not 100% certain reality fits my current image of the discipline. I imagine a fairly quiet job involving a good amount of mathematics, programming and simulation. Fluid mechanics, structural dynamics, heat transfer, stuff like that. It also seems as, if you're good, you'd be in pretty high demand by a lot of different businesses.

Am I terribly off? What nasty dissapointments does computational mechanics hold?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss M.D. said:
Am I terribly off? What nasty dissapointments does computational mechanics hold?
Practical, hands-on-the-computer work.

1. What is computational mechanics?

Computational mechanics is a branch of engineering and mechanics that uses computer simulations and mathematical models to study the behavior of structures and materials under various conditions. It combines principles from mechanics, mathematics, and computer science to analyze and design complex systems.

2. What are the benefits of studying computational mechanics?

Studying computational mechanics allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of structures and materials, which can lead to more efficient designs and improved safety. It also enables researchers to study systems that are difficult or impossible to observe in real life, and can save time and resources by simulating experiments before conducting them in the physical world.

3. What skills are required for a career in computational mechanics?

A career in computational mechanics requires a strong foundation in mathematics, mechanics, and computer science. Knowledge of programming languages, such as Python or MATLAB, is also essential. Additionally, good problem-solving and critical thinking skills are important for success in this field.

4. How is computational mechanics used in real-world applications?

Computational mechanics has a wide range of real-world applications, including aerospace engineering, structural analysis, and materials science. It is used to design and optimize structures, predict the behavior of materials under different conditions, and simulate fluid flow, among other things. It is also used in industries such as automotive, energy, and biomedical engineering.

5. What are some current advancements in computational mechanics?

Some current advancements in computational mechanics include the development of advanced numerical methods, such as finite element analysis and computational fluid dynamics, which allow for more accurate and efficient simulations. There is also a growing focus on incorporating artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques into computational mechanics to improve the speed and accuracy of simulations.