Is A-(BnC)=(A-B)U(A-C) a Valid Equation in Set Theory?

• Thread starter a_skier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: De Morgan's law)Also wrong: should be {xlx∈ A and (x∉ B and x∉ C)} (definition of intersection)Next, let S_1 = A-B = {xlx∈ A and x∉ B}let S_2 = A-C = {xlx∈ A and x∉ C}Thus, S_1 \cup S_2 = {xlx∈ A. x∉ B, and x∉ C} (by the definition of union - see 2)Wrong: should be {xlx∈ A and (x∉ B or x∉ C)} (definition of union)Therefore: A-S=S_1
a_skier
A-(B[itex]\bigcap[/itex]C)=(A-B)[itex]\bigcup[/itex](A-C)

If A-B={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]A and x[itex]\notin[/itex]B}
A-C={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]A and x[itex]\notin[/itex]C}

then (A-B)[itex]\bigcup[/itex](A-C)={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]A, x[itex]\notin[/itex](B and C)

Let X=A and Y=(B[itex]\bigcap[/itex]C)

X-Y={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]X and x[itex]\notin[/itex]Y}
x[itex]\notin[/itex]Y
x[itex]\notin[/itex](B[itex]\bigcap[/itex]C)
x[itex]\notin[/itex](B and C)

Therefore, A-(B[itex]\bigcap[/itex]C)=(A-B)[itex]\bigcup[/itex](A-C).

Is this anywhere close to being right? I want to self study some rigorous math this summer but the hard part is that I don't have anything to check against to see if my answers are correct or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
a_skier said:
A-(B[itex]\bigcap[/itex]C)=(A-B)[itex]\bigcup[/itex](A-C)

If A-B={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]A and x[itex]\notin[/itex]B}
A-C={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]A and x[itex]\notin[/itex]C}

then (A-B)[itex]\bigcup[/itex](A-C)={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]A, x[itex]\notin[/itex](B and C)

Let X=A and Y=(B[itex]\bigcap[/itex]C)

X-Y={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]X and x[itex]\notin[/itex]Y}
x[itex]\notin[/itex]Y
x[itex]\notin[/itex](B[itex]\bigcap[/itex]C)
x[itex]\notin[/itex](B and C)

Therefore, A-(B[itex]\bigcap[/itex]C)=(A-B)[itex]\bigcup[/itex](A-C).

Is this anywhere close to being right? I want to self study some rigorous math this summer but the hard part is that I don't have anything to check against to see if my answers are correct or not.

(A-B)[itex]\bigcup[/itex](A-C)={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]A, x[itex]\notin[/itex](B and C)
has to be justified.

also "and" and "[itex]\bigcap[/itex]" are the same.

I always find it fascinating that people use latex just for a single symbol, instead of formatting whole expression.

[tex]A-(B\cap C)=(A-B)\cup(A-C)[/tex]

Ok so I worked through all the exercises up to this one. Here's what I came up with.

prove:
A−(B[itex]\cap[/itex]C)=(A−B)[itex]\cup[/itex](A−C)

Let S=B[itex]\cap[/itex]C={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]B, and x[itex]\in[/itex]C} (By the definition of intersection)

Thus A-S={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]A and x[itex]\notin[/itex]S}
={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]A,x[itex]\notin[/itex]B, and x[itex]\notin[/itex]C} (see justification 1)

Next, let S[itex]_{1}[/itex]=A-B={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]A and x[itex]\notin[/itex]B}
let S[itex]_{2}[/itex]=A-C={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]A and x[itex]\notin[/itex]C}

Thus, S[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]\cup[/itex]S[itex]_{2}[/itex]={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]A. x[itex]\notin[/itex]B, and x[itex]\notin[/itex]C} (by the definition of union - see 2)

Therefore: A-S=S[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]\cup[/itex]S[itex]_{2}[/itex]

Justifications:

1)A-B={xlx[itex]\in[/itex]A and x[itex]\notin[/itex]B}
2) Union is defined as the set of those elements which are in A, in B, or in both. Therefore if A={xlx satisfies P and x[itex]\notin[/itex]C} and B={xlx satisfies Q and x[itex]\notin[/itex]D} (where P and Q are arbitrary conditions and C and D are other sets) then A[itex]\cup[/itex]B= {xlx satisfies P,Q, x[itex]\notin[/itex]C, and x[itex]\notin[/itex]D}.

What do you guys think?

Thus A-S={xlx∈ A and x∉ S}
={xlx∈ A,x∉ B, and x∉ C} (see justification 1)

Wrong: should be {xlx∈ A and (x∉ B or x∉ C)}

Related to Is A-(BnC)=(A-B)U(A-C) a Valid Equation in Set Theory?

1. What is the meaning of "Proof of A-(BnC)=(A-B)U(A-C)"?

The equation "Proof of A-(BnC)=(A-B)U(A-C)" is a proof in set theory that shows the relationship between the difference of set A and the intersection of sets B and C, and the union of the difference of set A and the difference of sets B and C.

2. How is this equation derived?

This equation can be derived using basic set operations and the distributive property of set theory. It involves breaking down the left side of the equation into simpler terms using the definition of set difference and intersection, and then simplifying the terms using the distributive property.

3. Why is this equation important?

This equation is important because it helps us understand the relationships between different sets and how set operations work. It is also used in many mathematical proofs and can be applied in various fields such as computer science, statistics, and engineering.

4. What are the applications of this equation?

The equation "Proof of A-(BnC)=(A-B)U(A-C)" has various applications in different fields. In computer science, it can be used to optimize database queries and in data analysis. In statistics, it can be used to calculate probabilities and in engineering, it can be used to design efficient systems.

5. Can this equation be extended to more than three sets?

Yes, this equation can be extended to more than three sets. The general form of this equation is "Proof of A-(B1nB2n...Bn)=(A-B1)U(A-B2)U...U(A-Bn)" where B1, B2,...Bn are n sets. This can also be extended to an infinite number of sets using the concept of limits in mathematics.