Length of Spring: How Can the Unstretched Length Be Determined?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a suspended load and a spring attached to blocks of weights. The value of W and the unstretched length of the spring are determined using the constant of the spring and equations involving forces and angles. The final solution involves using components to work out the answer precisely.
ttiger2k7
[SOLVED] Length of Spring

Homework Statement

A load of weight 400 N is suspended from a spring and two cords that are attached to blocks of weights 3W and W as shown. Knowing that the constant of the spring is 800 N/m, determine (a) the value of W, (b) the unstretched length of the spring.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/472/13213uv7.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{s} = -k x[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already worked through part (a), getting 62.8 N for W and in the process I got 281.712 for the [tex]F_{s}[/tex] of the system above.

Now from the picture above, I can figure that the length AB is 1110 mm using Pythagoreans. Whether that is relevant or not to figuring (b) out, I am not sure. I'm thinking that I need to find what the [tex]F_{s}[/tex] would be if there were no forces acting on the spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ttiger2k7 said:

Homework Statement

A load of weight 400 N is suspended from a spring and two cords that are attached to blocks of weights 3W and W as shown. Knowing that the constant of the spring is 800 N/m, determine (a) the value of W, (b) the unstretched length of the spring.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/472/13213uv7.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{s} = -k x[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already worked through part (a), getting 62.8 N for W and in the process I got 281.712 for the [tex]F_{s}[/tex] of the system above.

Now from the picture above, I can figure that the length AB is 1110 mm using Pythagoreans. Whether that is relevant or not to figuring (b) out, I am not sure. I'm thinking that I need to find what the [tex]F_{s}[/tex] would be if there were no forces acting on the spring.

I would look at the relevant equation and attempt to determine if it can be expanded to include initial and final values.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can determine angles using SOH CAH TOA. From there you can use components to work out your answer more precisely.

double post...

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
I would look at the relevant equation and attempt to determine if it can be expanded to include initial and final values.

Thanks, I got it!

What is the length of a spring?

The length of a spring refers to the distance between the two ends of the spring when it is at rest or not under any external force.

How is the length of a spring measured?

The length of a spring can be measured by using a ruler or tape measure to determine the distance between the two ends of the spring, or by using a caliper to measure the diameter of the spring and calculating the length using the spring's known wire diameter and number of coils.

What factors affect the length of a spring?

The length of a spring can be affected by factors such as the material it is made of, the diameter and thickness of the wire used, the number of coils, and the amount of weight or force applied to the spring.

How do you calculate the length of a spring?

The length of a spring can be calculated using the formula L = (Gd^4/8ND^3) * (N + 0.5), where L is the length of the spring, G is the shear modulus of the material, d is the wire diameter, N is the number of active coils, and D is the mean diameter of the spring.

Why is the length of a spring important?

The length of a spring is important because it affects the spring's ability to store and release energy, its strength and durability, and its overall performance in various applications. It is also a crucial factor in the design and manufacture of springs for specific purposes.