A Quick Question on Compton Scattering

In summary, the given problem involves a photon of wavelength 1.000nm being scattered by a muon at rest, with the resulting wavelength of the photon being 1.001nm. Using the Compton scattering equation, assuming the mass of the muon is 200 times that of an electron, and rearranging the equation to solve for the deflection angle, we get cos(x) = -81.44. However, this value is not physically possible, suggesting that the assumptions of the problem are not consistent with Compton scattering.
j-e_c
1. A photon of wavelength 1.000nm is scattered by a muon initially at rest. What is the deflection angle of the photon if its wavelength after scattering is 1.001nm?

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]^{'}[/tex] - [tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\frac{h}{mc}[/tex] (1 - cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex])

Assume that the mass of the muon is 200 times that of an electron.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have got down to cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) = -81.4. I'm not sure what to do now.

Physics news on Phys.org
j-e_c said:
I have got down to cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) = -81.4.
That's not good. Getting |cosθ| > 1 is a sure sign that you've made an error somewhere.

Redo your calculation. (Show what you plugged in where.)

Thanks for the quick reply.

Note - I'm going to change theta to x so I can avoid LaTeX complications. Similarly, I'm going to change lambda to a and lambda-prime to b.

First, I rearranged the equation to make cos(x) the subject:

(b - a) = h/mc (1 - cos(x))

(b - a)mc/h = 1 - cos(x)

1 - [(b - a)mc/h] = cos(x)

Now, I'll show you how the value came about:

b - a = (1.001 - 1.000)x10^-9
= 1.000x10^-12 (1)

mc/h = (200 x 9.11x10^-31 x 3x10^8) / (6.63x10^-34) = 8.244x10^13 (2)

Multiplying (1) and (2) I get 82.44

Then 1 - 82.44 = -81.44

Therefore cos(x) = -81.44

Your calculation looks OK to me. That tells us that the assumptions of the problem are not consistent with Compton scattering. You can't have the given change in wavelength when scattering off of a muon! (Either that's a trick question or I'm missing something basic. :uhh: I'll think about it.)

Firstly, I would like to clarify the question. Is the muon initially at rest or is it moving? If it is moving, what is its initial velocity? This information is necessary to accurately calculate the deflection angle.

Assuming the muon is initially at rest, we can use the equation you have provided to solve for the deflection angle. Plugging in the values, we get:

1.001nm - 1.000nm = \frac{h}{(200m_e)c} (1 - cos(\vartheta))

0.001nm = \frac{h}{(200m_e)c} (1 - cos(\vartheta))

Solving for cos(\vartheta), we get:

cos(\vartheta) = 1 - \frac{0.001nm(200m_e)c}{h}

Using the value of Planck's constant (h = 6.626 x 10^-34 J.s) and the mass of an electron (m_e = 9.109 x 10^-31 kg), we get:

cos(\vartheta) = 1 - \frac{0.001nm(200)(9.109 x 10^-31 kg)(3 x 10^8 m/s)}{6.626 x 10^-34 J.s}

cos(\vartheta) = 1 - 0.003 x 10^-3 = 0.9997

Taking the inverse cosine, we get:

\vartheta = cos^{-1}(0.9997) = 0.025 degrees

Therefore, the deflection angle of the photon is approximately 0.025 degrees.

1. What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (particle of light) collides with a free electron and transfers some of its energy to the electron, causing it to recoil. This results in a change in the wavelength (or energy) of the photon.

2. How does Compton scattering relate to the study of radiation?

Compton scattering is an important process that occurs in the study of radiation, as it helps us understand how photons interact with matter. This is crucial for various applications such as medical imaging, radiation therapy, and studying the properties of materials.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy transfer in Compton scattering?

The amount of energy transferred in Compton scattering depends on the energy of the incident photon, the angle of scattering, and the mass of the target electron. Higher energy photons and larger scattering angles result in greater energy transfer.

4. Why is Compton scattering important in astrophysics?

In astrophysics, Compton scattering can be used to study the properties of cosmic rays and high-energy particles in space. It is also used to measure the temperature and density of hot, ionized gas in astronomical objects such as stars and galaxies.

5. How is Compton scattering different from other forms of scattering?

Compton scattering is different from other forms of scattering because it involves a change in the wavelength (or energy) of the incident photon. In contrast, other types of scattering, such as Rayleigh scattering, do not result in a change in the wavelength of the scattered particle.