PF PHOTO CONTEST - The Path Of Least Resistance (6/7-6/13)

In summary, the key to building a low-noise guitar amp is proper grounding with very low resistance between the potentiometers and jacks and the chassis.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
The Path Of Least Resistance

You are allowed to interpret the theme this week any way you please. However, keep in mind that in the voting process, those who will be voting will be asked to make sure that the picture and the theme clearly match each other.

Good luck!

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Smoke and Water

Will follow that path. Lake Tahoe and smoke from the Angora fire.

2559659776_86c8a62141_o.jpg

football runningbacks definitely need to find the path of least resistance (unless you want to get pummeled)

sf 49ers training camp 2006

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5419/38480202qu9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, Bryan!

great shot waht

Might I point out that there isn't a span of dates in the title of this contest...

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/55/dsc0321ua2.jpg
This little chipmunk was eating a french fry someone threw on the floor at the zoo. (instead of finding his own food, he definitely took the path of least resistance :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:
GeorginaS said:
That's the path of least resistance? I'd hate to see the hard way. :bugeye:

:rofl:

I really need to get my HI photos uploaded so I can see if there's a suitable one for this contest among them. I've just been too busy to catch up.

BryanP, where was that photo a few weeks back! That would have stood a great chance in the sports photo one! Nice shot, that guy must have been going some aswell!

Christina, awesome shot, the colours are so nice, also clever how it relates to the competition! :smile:

binzing said:
Might I point out that there isn't a span of dates in the title of this contest...

Thank you. There is now.

Zz.

I don't think there's any resistance at all to walking along this path.

img7950wh5.jpg

Zz.

The key to building a low-noise guitar amp is proper grounding with very low resistance between the potentiometers and jacks and the chassis. I have built some guitar amps and rebuilt/restored many others, but this one was built by a good friend of mine from NJ. It's a Carlson Turbo-Pup and I got serial number 2 after a wait of over a year (counting development time and a lot of cajoling on my part to get him into production). Killer amp, and very noise-free thanks to the heavy copper buses connecting all the pots and jacks. Mark is an EE and is VERY meticulous. He knows that mechanical grounds (using nuts to clamp components to the chassis) corrode and fail over time and he wanted to build top-quality amps that pros could use for many years trouble-free. Mission accomplished.

groundbus.jpg

Last edited:
GeorginaS said:
That's the path of least resistance? I'd hate to see the hard way. :bugeye:

Gorgeous shot.

The alternative path was an unstable ice field with a lot of cracks. No thanks.

This river seems to have taken the path of least resistance.

canyon1.jpg

Janus said:
This river seems to have taken the path of least resistance.

Janus, that is incredible! Where is that? Eastern Washington/Oregon? Nevada?

lisab said:
Janus, that is incredible! Where is that? Eastern Washington/Oregon? Nevada?

Eastern Oregon.

You have less than 2 days left to find the path of least resistance...

Zz.

2271613582_28207acd51.jpg

Water always follows the path of least resistance, so I guess there must be a lot of paths of least resistance here.

least-resistance.jpg

I hate explaining what's and whys, so I went for something self-explaining :wink:

Nice shot Borek :smile:

My eyes still hurt after removing the thread yarns (is it in English? If no, feel free to correct me), I need glasses. More and more.

path.jpg

4th test picture with my brand new Canon EOS 450D (digital rebel XSI) bought today. I'm happy as a child with that little gadget. Image is at 18% and a little crop. Really superb quality.

Path of least resistance? sure the water, the bird for being of copper, living forever, and for myself taking a non challenging shot of something that doesn't move at all.

Last edited:
Congrats, Andre! One day (hopefully soon) the full 35mm chip DSLRs will come down in price. I'm going to limit any future lens purchases to EF models for that reason - the EFS models extend too far back into the light-box of a full-chip camera and cannot be used with them.

Very nice image quality, as expected. Now, what species is that bird? :rolleyes:

Congrats! We all love new gadgets, aren't we?

Thanks, Dunno if the full size FX is the future, turbo, there is no way to change physical laws/ restrictions on optics for a larger size sensor on depth of field, etc. The better aim is getting smaller sensors more noise free.

The bird species? Why, that's obviously a Turdus iliacus, you call it a "red wing", we call it a "copper wing"

:umm: I hope that I have interpreted the "path of least resistance" correctly.

And congrats Andre, on your camera!
You have also photographed a rare species of bird that is rarely seen in the open :biggrin:

~christina~ said:
You have also photographed a rare species of bird that is rarely seen in the open :biggrin:

I think there is a glass behind, so it is breed in captivity ;)

1. What is the purpose of the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The purpose of the PF PHOTO CONTEST is to encourage photographers to capture and showcase images that represent the concept of "The Path of Least Resistance". This theme challenges participants to think creatively and capture unique images that convey the idea of finding the easiest or most efficient way to achieve a goal.

2. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST is open to anyone who is interested in photography, regardless of their level of expertise. Both amateur and professional photographers are welcome to submit their entries.

3. How do I enter the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

To enter the PF PHOTO CONTEST, you must first follow the official contest account on social media (such as Instagram or Facebook). Then, you can submit your photo by tagging the contest account and using the designated hashtag for that week's theme. Make sure to read and follow all the rules and guidelines before submitting your entry.

4. How are the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST chosen?

The winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST are chosen by a panel of judges who will evaluate the entries based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme. The judges' decision is final and cannot be appealed.

5. What are the prizes for the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The prizes for the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST may vary each week, but they typically include cash prizes, photography equipment, or gift cards. The exact prizes will be announced on the contest account and website before the start of each week's competition.