What is the time taken for these 2 cars to meet?

• Thread starter nyrychvantel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars Time
In summary, two cars, P and Q, are 1400m apart and traveling in opposite directions. P is moving at a constant speed of 15 ms-1 while Q is accelerating from rest at a rate of 5.0 ms-2. The time taken for them to meet can be found by equating their position dependence over time and solving for t. The distance traveled by each car before meeting each other can be found using the area under a V-T graph of constant acceleration, with v=at.
nyrychvantel

Homework Statement

Two cars, P and Q, are 1400m apart.
P is traveling at 15 ms-1, Q is accelerating from rest at 5.0 ms-2
They are traveling opposite direction(i.e. they are facing each other), what is the time taken for them to meet?
Also, what is the distance traveled by each car before meeting each other?

Homework Equations

a = [tex]\frac{v-u}{t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a = 5t, but it did not seem to help much...
Do I have to draw a graph for this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
nyrychvantel said:

Homework Statement

Two cars, P and Q, are 1400m apart.
P is traveling at 15 ms-1, Q is accelerating from rest at 5.0 ms-2
They are traveling opposite direction(i.e. they are facing each other), what is the time taken for them to meet?
Also, what is the distance traveled by each car before meeting each other?

Homework Equations

a = [tex]\frac{v-u}{t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a = 5t, but it did not seem to help much...
Do I have to draw a graph for this question?

No, just write out the position dependence over time for the two cars and equate. Assume Car 1 to b at x=0 and the second car to be at x=1400
Use
S=u*t+0.5*a*t*t (for the accelerated motion) (Use negative sign for acceleration)
S=v*t (for the constant velocity motion)

Thank you!
I forgot I can use area under a V-T graph of constant acceleration (and sub v=at) to get the total distance traveled by car Q.

1. What factors affect the time taken for two cars to meet?

The time taken for two cars to meet can be affected by several factors such as the distance between the cars, their speeds, and the direction they are traveling in. Other factors that may influence the time taken include the road conditions, traffic, and any obstacles that may be present.

2. How can I calculate the time taken for two cars to meet?

The time taken for two cars to meet can be calculated using the formula: time = distance / relative speed. This formula takes into account the distance between the two cars and their relative speeds. The result will give you the time taken for the two cars to meet at a specific point.

3. Can the time taken for two cars to meet be affected by the type of vehicles?

Yes, the type of vehicles can have an impact on the time taken for them to meet. This is because different vehicles have different speeds and capabilities, which can affect the relative speed between the two cars and ultimately the time taken for them to meet.

4. Is there a maximum or minimum time for two cars to meet?

No, there is no specific maximum or minimum time for two cars to meet. The time taken for two cars to meet depends on various factors, as mentioned earlier, and can vary greatly. In some cases, the time taken may be very short, while in others it may be longer.

5. How can I decrease the time taken for two cars to meet?

The time taken for two cars to meet can be decreased by increasing their relative speed or decreasing the distance between them. However, it is important to always follow traffic laws and regulations and drive safely when trying to decrease the time taken for two cars to meet.