Why does food get colder on the sides quicker than in the middle?

• Thread starter utkarsh5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, the edge of the food will have more heat transport because it has a higher temperature gradient between the air and the food.
utkarsh5
i noticed that when food is spread in a plate dish and kept to cool,it cools down in the sides first and then in the middle.why is it so?is it because of the contact with edges of the dish?or is it due to the contact with air?please exaplain(it works with semi-solid food and with rice too.basically almost anything that can be spread)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's all to do with the surface area. Food at the edge is open to the air more than food in the middle which mostly borders other hot food.

Odd, I notice just the opposite. When I spread ice cream in a dish I notice the edges getting warmer first.

There is a higher temperature gradient between the air on the outside and the food at the edge than there is between the food at the edge and the food at the center.

This is true for hot solid foods as well as for ice cream.

Therefore, the edge will have more heat transport than the center (whether in or out).

skeptic2 said:
Odd, I notice just the opposite. When I spread ice cream in a dish I notice the edges getting warmer first.
thank you for answering!
it seems that the food getting cooler and and ice-cream getting hotter are the same phenomena

chill_factor said:
There is a higher temperature gradient between the air on the outside and the food at the edge than there is between the food at the edge and the food at the center.

This is true for hot solid foods as well as for ice cream.

Therefore, the edge will have more heat transport than the center (whether in or out).

thank you for answering!what confuses me though is why is there a higher gradient between air and food on the edge when compared to middle

is it possible that the rising hot air from the whole dish creates a column of hot air preventing cold air from coming,while the cold air enters from sides colling down the sides.

similarly,in the case of ice-cream,a cold "pocket" of air should be formed(due to colder air being denser and settling down),while the sides aren't protected as much.this could be a possible explanation,but i already see holes in it.

utkarsh5 said:
thank you for answering!what confuses me though is why is there a higher gradient between air and food on the edge when compared to middle
You have hot food and cold air - the gradient is large everywhere on the surface. However, your edge has more surface than the middle.

is it possible that the rising hot air from the whole dish creates a column of hot air preventing cold air from coming,while the cold air enters from sides colling down the sides.
That depends on the temperature and your room - convection tends to be a bit more effective at the sides (where cold air comes from), if your food is hot enough.

In terms of ice, it is the same, just with "hot" and "cold" exchanged.

i just tested my theory.i spread some rice across the dish and left a little circle
(or hole for that matter) in the middle.the hot air would still show it's effect,which happened.the rice did not get colder in the middle

The reason for the higher heat gradient between the air and the food surface is because the only way for heat to be transported from food to air is through radiation and convection.

However, between the center of the food and the outside of the food, there's an additional mechanism for heat transport: conduction.

The air is also a heat reservoir, which means that its overall size is so huge compared to the food, that any heat added to it results in a negligible change in its temperature, so it can always be "cold". However, the food is small, and is very hot, so it must cool. The difference between the center of the food and the edge of the food is realistically, not going to be big (lets say its boiling soup. then its going to be around 100 degrees. Air's around 20 degrees).

1. Why does food get colder on the sides quicker than in the middle?

Food gets colder on the sides quicker than in the middle because of a process called convection. When food is placed on a plate, the air around it starts to cool down. This cooler air sinks and gets replaced by warmer air, creating a circular motion around the food. This constant movement of air helps to cool the food on the sides faster than the middle.

2. Does the type of plate affect the rate of cooling for food?

Yes, the type of plate can affect the rate of cooling for food. Plates made of materials such as ceramic, glass, or metal tend to conduct heat better than plastic plates. This means that they can transfer heat from the food to the surrounding air more efficiently, causing the food to cool down faster.

3. Can the shape of the food affect its cooling rate?

Yes, the shape of the food can affect its cooling rate. Food with a larger surface area, such as a flat piece of meat, will cool down faster than food with a smaller surface area, such as a round meatball. This is because a larger surface area allows for more contact with the surrounding air, resulting in faster heat transfer and cooling.

4. Is it safe to leave food to cool down at room temperature?

It is generally not recommended to leave food to cool down at room temperature. Bacteria can grow rapidly at temperatures between 40°F and 140°F, also known as the "danger zone." Leaving food at room temperature for too long can increase the risk of foodborne illness. It is best to cool food quickly in the refrigerator or in an ice bath to prevent bacterial growth.

5. Can covering the food while it cools down affect the rate of cooling?

Yes, covering the food while it cools down can affect the rate of cooling. Covering the food can trap the warm air around it, preventing it from circulating and cooling the food. This can result in the food taking longer to cool down. It is best to leave the food uncovered while it cools down to allow for better air circulation and faster cooling.