Inducted into the Toy Hall of Fame

• Thread starter edward
  • Start date
In summary: When I was a kid, one of my favorite toys was a shovel. My cousin lived near an esker that was very sandy, and it was easy to dig. We used to make "tiger traps" - pit traps covered with light sticks, then a layer of leaves, then sand and some pine needles to "blend in" with the surrounding ground. When we were playing tag or some other chase game, we lured our pursuers down those trails and dodged the traps, hoping to catch them. Nobody ever got a broken leg, etc, but some pretty big kids got the wind knocked out of them.
edward
And it is about time. :wink:

A magic wand, a fishing rod or a royal sceptre?

The lowly stick, a universal plaything powered by a child's imagination, landed in the National Toy Hall of Fame on Thursday along with the Baby Doll and the skateboard.

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2008/11/07/toy_hall_of_fame_points_to_new_addition_the_stick/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wiked evil people, (tremble).

Great. The rock is up for the next award.

Doesn't the imaginary friend come next?

OAQfirst said:
Great. The rock is up for the next award.
Rocks are pets, not toys.

The booger was the first inductee.

Chi Meson said:
The booger was the first inductee.
You played with your food?

turbo-1 said:
You played with your food?

:biggrin: :yuck:

In related news, the Android Toy Hall of Fame has, for the 1,101st year in a row, inducted the digit 1.

What about dirt? I played with dirt more than sticks.

Evo said:
What about dirt? I played with dirt more than sticks.
There was no dirt when you were a child. Dirt came later. :devil:

turbo-1 said:
There was no dirt when you were a child. Dirt came later. :devil:
:rofl:

I was going to suggest that the cardboard box should be the next inductee, but it turns out it was inducted in 2005.

I still remember my favorite cardboard box. I also remember every single bicycle I've ever owned.

I probably kept really good sticks for a while, but I couldn't remember what a single one of them looks like today.

And dirt clods are much more fun toys than rocks. A good rock fight lasts maybe 10 seconds, while dirt clod fights can go on all afternoon.

BobG said:
And dirt clods are much more fun toys than rocks. A good rock fight lasts maybe 10 seconds, while dirt clod fights can go on all afternoon.
:rofl:

In Holland typically the muddy rain water pool would top the collection.

I was beaten with a stick when I was a wee child, I don't consider it as a toy... Maybe an evil toy...

turbo-1 said:
Rocks are pets, not toys.

LOL! I remember the "pet rocks" craze. What an incredible marketting scam!

Of course, I had a few pet rocks when I was a child but, since we lived out in the country, I had free-range pet rocks. Just found them in the wild and domesticated them myself.

LURCH said:
LOL! I remember the "pet rocks" craze. What an incredible marketting scam!

Of course, I had a few pet rocks when I was a child but, since we lived out in the country, I had free-range pet rocks. Just found them in the wild and domesticated them myself.
Same here. Some, like flint, were edgy and hard to tame, but some were gneiss all along.

turbo-1 said:
Same here. Some, like flint, were edgy and hard to tame, but some were gneiss all along.

:rofl: :rofl:

That was good, Turbo!

OAQfirst said:
That was good, Turbo!
Thanks. It's not often I get to make a geology pun. Only on PF!

I don't think they're necessarily "edgy," they just don't like being taken for granite.

(OK, maybe we need to start a Geology Pun thread.)

oh man did I ever play with sticks! My brother and I built some amazing forts and we would steal my dads tools and build furniture and stuff right in our forest! Water should be next, we separated everything with water, all our forts had moats, and we were always lining them with stolen tarps to keep the water in. Sticks taught me a lot about life.

fileen said:
oh man did I ever play with sticks! My brother and I built some amazing forts and we would steal my dads tools and build furniture and stuff right in our forest! Water should be next, we separated everything with water, all our forts had moats, and we were always lining them with stolen tarps to keep the water in. Sticks taught me a lot about life.
When I was a kid, one of my favorite toys was a shovel. My cousin lived near an esker that was very sandy, and it was easy to dig. We used to make "tiger traps" - pit traps covered with light sticks, then a layer of leaves, then sand and some pine needles to "blend in" with the surrounding ground. When we were playing tag or some other chase game, we lured our pursuers down those trails and dodged the traps, hoping to catch them. Nobody ever got a broken leg, etc, but some pretty big kids got the wind knocked out of them.

We used to like to build underground forts, too. One of them was probably 10x4 or so, with the top braced with planks and the sod replaced so you couldn't see it had been disturbed. The entrance was a trap-door in a tiny little wooden A-frame barely big enough two kids. Later, a friend of our neighbor remarked how surprising it was to see a whole pack of kids disappear into a little A-frame "camp" that couldn't have held them all.

1. What is the Toy Hall of Fame?

The Toy Hall of Fame is an American institution that recognizes and celebrates iconic toys that have had a lasting impact on society and culture. It is located in The Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester, New York.

2. How are toys inducted into the Toy Hall of Fame?

Toys are inducted into the Toy Hall of Fame through a nomination and selection process. Anyone can nominate a toy, and the final selection is made by a panel of experts, including historians, educators, and toy industry professionals.

3. How many toys are in the Toy Hall of Fame?

As of 2021, there are 74 toys in the Toy Hall of Fame. Some notable inductees include Barbie, LEGO, and the Rubik's Cube.

4. What criteria are considered when selecting toys for induction?

The Toy Hall of Fame considers several criteria when selecting toys for induction, including longevity, recognition, creativity, and innovation. The toy must also have had a significant impact on play and be widely recognized and remembered by multiple generations.

5. Can a toy be removed from the Toy Hall of Fame?

No, once a toy is inducted into the Toy Hall of Fame, it is considered a permanent addition to the collection. However, the panel of experts may revisit past inductees and make revisions to the collection if necessary.

Back