The Belinfante_rosenfeld tensor

• Thread starter Michael_1812
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, the conversation discusses the Belinfante-Rosenfeld version of the Stress-Energy Tensor (SET) and its conservation using the Noether Theorem. The canonical SET can be expressed as a sum of its symmetrical and antisymmetrical parts, with the antisymmetric part being expressed through the spin tensor. However, to ensure conservation, a more complex definition of TγλB is needed, as the simpler definition does not guarantee conservation. The conversation also includes a derivation of F-tensor and explains the need for an object that is antisymmetric in the first two indeces.
Michael_1812
Hi guys,

Can anyone please help me to grasp a minor detail in the derivation of the Belinfante-Rosenfeld version of the Stress-Energy Tensor (SET) ?

To save type, I refer to the wiki webpage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belinfante–Rosenfeld_stress–energy_tensor

Using the Noether Theorem, it is indeed easy to arrive at the conservation of the tensor M.

And yes, therefrom we indeed obtain

μ Sμγλ = Tλγ - Tγλ

Now, the canonical SET can be expressed as a sum of its symmetrical and antisymmetrical parts:

Tγλ

= (Tγλ + Tλγ)/2 + (Tγλ -Tλγ)/2

= TγλB + (Tγλ - Tλγ)/2

As we have just seen, the antisymmetric part can be expressed through the spin tensor, whence we obtain:

Tμγ = TγλB - ∂μ Sμγλ/2

However, this is not what we see in the article in Wikipedia. There, two more terms are present:

TγλB = Tγλ + ∂μ(Sγλμ + Sλγμ - Sμλγ)/2

I don't think this is in error, because I saw those extra two terms also in the Relativity book by M. Gasperini /which is a good book, except that sometimes the author skips parts of the proof, clearly overestimating the abilities of an average reader/.

Could someone please tell me how the two extra terms have shown up in the above formula?

Many thanks!

Michael

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Further to my question.

I certainly understanding that TγλB should not necessarily be defined as (Tγλ + Tλγ)/2 .

We are always free to add a full divergence. And we should add it, to make sure that the result be conserved

Therefore it is possible that TγλB is defined not as (Tγλ + Tλγ)/2 but in a more complex way, via

(Tγλ + Tλγ)/2 = TγλB - (∂μSλγμ + ∂μSγλμ )/2

But then what is the advantage of this definition? It is not apparently obvious to me that it guarantees conservation of TγλB.

Nor is it clear to me why the simpler definition of TγλB as (Tγλ + Tλγ)/2 would fail to warrant conservation.

Last edited:
Michael_1812 said:
Further to my question.

I certainly understanding that TγλB should not necessarily be defined as (Tγλ + Tλγ)/2 .

We are always free to add a full divergence. And we should add it, to make sure that the result be conserved

Therefore it is possible that TγλB is defined not as (Tγλ + Tλγ)/2 but in a more complex way, via

(Tγλ + Tλγ)/2 = TγλB - (∂μSλγμ + ∂μSγλμ )/2

But then what is the advantage of this definition? It is not apparently obvious to me that it guarantees conservation of TγλB.

Nor is it clear to me why the simpler definition of TγλB as (Tγλ + Tλγ)/2 would fail to warrant conservation.

Start from the necessary and sufficient condition of Lorentz invariance. That is

[tex]
T_{ \nu \mu } = T_{ \mu \nu } + \partial^{ \sigma } S_{ \sigma \mu \nu }, \ \ (1)
[/tex]
where
[tex]S_{ \sigma \mu \nu } = - S_{ \sigma \nu \mu }.[/tex]

So, let us write [itex]S_{ \sigma \mu \nu }[/itex] as

[tex]S_{ \sigma \mu \nu } = F_{ \sigma \mu \nu } - F_{ \sigma \nu \mu }, \ \ (2)[/tex]

and try to determine [itex]F_{ \sigma \mu \nu }[/itex] later. Inserting (2) in (1), we find
[tex]
T_{ \mu \nu } + \partial^{ \sigma } F_{ \sigma \mu \nu } = T_{ \nu \mu } + \partial^{ \sigma } F_{ \sigma \nu \mu }.
[/tex]
Clearly, this is nothing but the statement that the object
[tex]
\mathcal{ T }_{ \mu \nu } \equiv T_{ \mu \nu } + \partial^{ \sigma } F_{ \sigma \mu \nu },
[/tex]
is symmetric. Next, translation invariance implies [itex]\partial \cdot T = 0[/itex]. Thus
[tex]
\partial^{ \mu } \mathcal{ T }_{ \mu \nu } = \partial^{ \mu } \partial^{ \sigma } F_{ \sigma \mu \nu }.
[/tex]
So, to preserve translation invariance (the two tensors must be physically equivalent), we must have
[tex] \partial^{ \mu } \partial^{ \sigma } F_{ \sigma \mu \nu } = 0.[/tex]
This will be the case if
[tex]F_{ \sigma \mu \nu } = - F_{ \mu \sigma \nu }. \ \ \ (3)[/tex]

Now the two tensorial equations (2) and (3) can be solved. The solution is
[tex]
F_{ \sigma \mu \nu } = \frac{ 1 }{ 2 } ( S_{ \sigma \mu \nu } - S_{ \mu \sigma \nu } + S_{ \nu \mu \sigma } ).
[/tex]

Sam

Likes 1 person
Dear Sam,
Many thanks! I agree with your derivation.

You have built such an F that the sum Tγλ + ∂μ Fμγλ is both conserved and symmetrical.

Now, suppose I go a different way and extract directly the symmetrical part out of the canonical SET:

Tγλ

= (Tγλ + Tλγ)/2 - ∂μ Sμγλ/2

In this case, the half-sum will be symmetric.

Why then wouldn't we simply appoint the symmetric half-sum to play the role of the new SET ?

The total T is conserved, and I presume that the antisymmetric part - ∂μ Sμγλ/2 is conserved also (is it not??)

Then the symmetric half-sum must be conserved too.

Or am I wrong, and the antisymmetric part - ∂μ Sμγλ/2 is not conserved?

Many thanks,

Michael

Last edited:
Michael_1812 said:
Dear Sam,
Many thanks! I agree with your derivation.

You have built such an F that the sum Tγλ + ∂μ Fμγλ is both conserved and symmetrical.

Now, suppose I go a different way and extract directly the symmetrical part out of the canonical SET:

Tγλ

= (Tγλ + Tλγ)/2 - ∂μ Sμγλ/2

In this case, the half-sum will be symmetric.

Why then wouldn't we simply appoint the symmetric half-sum to play the role of the new SET ?

The total T is conserved, and I presume that the antisymmetric part - ∂μ Sμγλ/2 is conserved also (is it not??)

Then the symmetric half-sum must be conserved too.

Or am I wrong, and the antisymmetric part - ∂μ Sμγλ/2 is not conserved?

Many thanks,

Michael

I made it clear why we need to construct the F-tensor. We need an object that is antisymmetric in the FIRST TWO indeces so that it vanishes when operating with the second [itex]\partial[/itex]. The [itex]\partial^{ \mu } \partial^{ \sigma } S_{ \sigma \mu \nu }[/itex] is not zero because S is not antisymmetric in [itex]( \sigma \mu )[/itex]. For this reason, your symmtrized T is not conserved.

Likes 1 person
Dear Sam,

Many thanks for your time and help !

Now I understand this.

Michael

1. What is the Belinfante-Rosenfeld tensor?

The Belinfante-Rosenfeld tensor is a mathematical construct used in theoretical physics to describe the energy-momentum density of a system. It was developed by Dutch physicist Felix Belinfante and Austrian physicist Friedrich Rosenfeld in the 1940s.

2. How is the Belinfante-Rosenfeld tensor calculated?

The Belinfante-Rosenfeld tensor is calculated using the Noether theorem, which states that for every continuous symmetry of a physical system, there is a corresponding conserved quantity. In this case, the tensor is calculated by taking the variation of the Lagrangian density with respect to the metric tensor.

3. What is the significance of the Belinfante-Rosenfeld tensor?

The Belinfante-Rosenfeld tensor is significant because it provides a more accurate description of the energy-momentum density of a system compared to the traditional energy-momentum tensor. It takes into account the effects of rotation and translation of the reference frame, making it a more covariant and conserved quantity.

4. In what areas of physics is the Belinfante-Rosenfeld tensor used?

The Belinfante-Rosenfeld tensor is primarily used in quantum field theory and general relativity, as it provides a better understanding of the energy-momentum conservation in these theories. It is also used in other areas of theoretical physics, such as condensed matter physics and cosmology.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Belinfante-Rosenfeld tensor?

While the Belinfante-Rosenfeld tensor is primarily used in theoretical physics, it has also found applications in engineering and technology. It is used in the development of advanced materials and technologies, such as high-precision sensors and quantum computing, which require a deep understanding of energy-momentum conservation at the microscopic level.