Stress energy tensor for fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the stress energy tensor, specifically in the case of swarms of particles. There is a discussion about interpreting the field definition of the tensor and its relation to the flow of momentum. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in deriving the Hilbert definition of the tensor and its electromagnetic analog. The idea of generalizing the definition from particles to fields is also mentioned.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
In the case of swarms of particles, the stress energy tensor can be derived by considering the flow of energy and momentum "carried" by the particles along their worldlines.

Is there a way to interpret the field definition of the stress energy tensor from Wald, p455 E.1.26

[tex]
T_{ab} \propto \frac{\delta S_M}{\delta g^{ab}}[/tex]
Where ##S_M## is the action of the "matter" field.

as being due to the "flow" of momentum? If so, how exactly?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what exactly your question? Do you want to "derive" the Hilbert definition for T from some physical principle? My answer in this case is No, no such derivation exist. It is one of most annoying definitions in theoretical physics.
Or, Do you want to interpret the field SET in terms of some physical processes?

samalkhaiat said:
It is one of most annoying definitions in theoretical physics.
Tμν = 2 δS/δgμνexpresses concisely the fact that Tμν is the source of the gravitational field, and automatically yields a stress-energy tensor that is symmetric and conserved.

Do you find its electromagnetic analog Jμ = δS/δAμ equally annoying?

I'm trying to build off definitions like the following.

http://web.mit.edu/edbert/GR/gr2b.pdf said:
The stress-energy tensor is symmetric and defined so that ##T^{uv}## is the flux of momentem ##p^{u}## across a surface of constant ##x^{v}##

Baez has a similar approach. Schutz is referened, I don't have that textbook alas.

In the case of a gas , or a swarm of particles, for the 1space + 1 time case, this can be illustrated neatly by a space-time diagram of the particles, as per the attachment. The particles are assumed to not interact at all (no fields).

I wanted to make the definition more general though. I was hoping to say a few words about how the idea generalized from the simplistic "swarm of particles" to the more general cases, such as fields. I don't see anyway to do this at the moment, however.

I was thinking of making a small FAQ on the topic, we get enough quesitons about it.

The attached diagram should give some insight into the approach I'm taking. There are a few more diagrams, another for "flow in the x direction", and some illustrations of how you can compute the flow in an arbitrary direction (say the t' direction of a boosted observer) knowing the flow in the t and x directions.

attachment.php?attachmentid=65501&d=1389397280.png

Attachments

• flows.t.png
    flows.t.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 775
If the velocities in a Lagrangian are replaced by the gradients ##\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x^\mu}##of a field ##\phi## it's easier to see the connection between the field Lagrangian and the SET than it is with the mechanical description. See Itzykson&Zuber, page 22.

Bill_K said:
Do you find its electromagnetic analog Jμ = δS/δAμ equally annoying?

No, I don't because I can derive it (not just define it) within the canonical formalism. This is

exactly the reason why Hilbert definition of SET is annoying: There is no room in the

canonical formalism which allows you to derive the expression
[tex]\frac{ \delta S_{ m } }{ \delta g^{ \mu \nu } } = \frac{ 1 }{ 2 } \sqrt{ - g } \ T_{ \mu \nu }.[/tex]

If you know how to derive it, I would love to see how.

Last edited:

1. What is the stress energy tensor for fields?

The stress energy tensor for fields is a mathematical tool used in theoretical physics to describe the energy and momentum of a field. It is a rank 2 tensor that contains components related to energy density, pressure, and momentum density.

2. How is the stress energy tensor calculated for a specific field?

The stress energy tensor is calculated using the equations of motion for the field, such as the Klein-Gordon equation for a scalar field or the Maxwell's equations for an electromagnetic field. These equations relate the field's values to its derivatives, which are then used to calculate the tensor components.

3. What is the physical significance of the stress energy tensor for fields?

The stress energy tensor provides information about how a field contributes to the curvature of spacetime, which is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity. It also helps in understanding the energy and momentum flow of a field, which is crucial in studying the behavior of physical systems.

4. Can the stress energy tensor be used to study the effects of gravity?

Yes, the stress energy tensor is one of the central tools used in general relativity to study the effects of gravity. It is used to describe the distribution of matter and energy in spacetime, which determines the curvature of spacetime and the resulting gravitational effects.

5. How does the stress energy tensor relate to conservation laws?

The stress energy tensor is closely connected to the conservation laws of energy and momentum. In a flat spacetime, the components of the tensor satisfy the equations of continuity, which express the conservation of energy and momentum. In curved spacetime, the tensor is used to define a covariant derivative, which is then used to express the conservation laws in terms of differential equations.