by student6587
Tags: trig
Share this thread:
student6587
Jun21-14, 06:47 PM
P: 1
Hello,

First time posting to Physics Forums.

I have been thinking about rotation transformations and am a bit confused on how trig works in 3D.

In 2D, convention says the positive x-axis points to the right, the positive y-axis points upward, and positive angles are measured from the positive x-axis in a counter-clockwise fashion. Proper insertion of a third dimension has the positive z-axis pointing toward the viewer.

How do these rules translate to other perspectives of the 3 cartesian axes? For example, if the positive x axis points to the left, the positive z axis points up, and the positive y axis points toward the viewer. Is positive rotation still counter-clockwise? What axis is this angle measured from?

I suspect that the convention is arbitrary but there must be some criteria for consistency. A little bit of context: ultimately, I want to use this knowledge to construct matrix transformations to control the orientation of a simple 3D shape. When I try to work these out by hand, I keep getting the signs wrong.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
jedishrfu
Jun21-14, 07:59 PM
P: 2,982
Welcome to PF!

This wiki article describes 3D rotations and show the 3x3 matrices that accomplish this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_matrix

Register to reply